Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Red face Decision made!!... hahaahhahahaha ahem

We or rather she has decided that were not moving to FNQ nor to Tassy nor to NZ nor to Australind down the road... no she has decided that we are going to stay put and build another house behind this one (part of that means this one has to be demolished as soon as its built but we can live in it till its done)

So weve been out wearing out our shoes and time effort and energy talking with project builders all over Bunbury... so end result is that Yes we will be able to build here for the budget we have set for the house itself ($260000) and end up with exactly what she wants... and with having set aside a further $40000 for site works it should all come in between $280000 and $300000... with hopefully some $ change.

Now while these plans all look fine and dandy Ive started to wonder at going the other direction and getting an architect draw up some plans for EXACTLY what we want in the house without having to compromise or delete/leave out anything and have a private builder do the construction and works

Why the bloody hell these damned designs are ALL of those bloody revolting "Mediterranean" block type friggin things is beyond me!! The trouble we have had finding just ONE design based on the traditional Australian farmhouse or station homestead has been a mongrel!! Trying to find you know deep all round verandahs large stone or limestone thick walls big bedrooms and living areas along with a decent sized pantry and laundry in a large house design is a flamin joke! We are not on the bloody Mediterranean you mob we are in friggin Aussie give us some bloody Aussie style homes to choose from!! and block houses went out when the damned Harold E Holt base was closed down in Exmouth! who wants to live in a friggin concrete bunker???

Anyway so far weve been told the ground has to be a) dug out because its clay apparently b) has to built up above the now known flood level (1.4mtrs in total) and some retaining done (limestone blocks and tiered garden beds)

So Im going to have a play around with the Cheif Architect program we have but have never used and probably sketchup which Im still bloody hopeless at... and see if by doing so we can come up with something reasonably close to what we want then go see an architect then a builder

So has anyone got any ideas on costs and what they need to do? do they have to visit the site to see the lay of the land have pictures of the land topographical maps that show the land formation?

We have time to get all the information together before we make the final commitment either way... and just wondered what info we should try to get to make this happen the smoothest way possible

What are some of the issues problems that going this way present and what should we be on the lookout for? or would it be better cheeper easier whatever just to get a project builders set of plans (which we have) and make the changes additions etc and be done... and which is quicker to have built?

Bunch of questions eh? but I gots one more!!

Jill??... Jill??.. mmmm look I know your pretty close by to me here in Brunswick Junction (within 20 minutes I think you said awhile ago) soooooo... if your not doin much for the next 12 months you an your hubby wanna come quote and build my house? now yours is almost done you must be starting to get bored and wantin something to do eh?

Thanks for any help assistance tips contacts... yes and the forthcoming no doubt laughter jokes pullin the phiss... some people just cant help themselves but its what her bloody highness wants me to ask you mob so Im askin!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

I've used the services of an architect on a few occassions and am in the midst of using one at the moment to facelift a row of shops. Each time there has been an initial site inspection, then a concept drawing and sometimes plans, or we have used a draftsman to complete the drawings. Man those blokes are expensive, but only if you let them do the full project.

Each time I felt we got good value and ideas we would not have come up with ourselves. In most cases we have given some idea of size, $ needs etc and left them to it, but they seem to like to flush out what your likes are, no point giving them an open palet if you get post modern when you really wanted Gothic with a touch of whatever thrown in.

They are dearer than a draftsman, but in terms of solar orientation, style and ideas I feel it is worth the extra cost, and when you look at what you are going to blow Ding old mate it really is just a drop in the bucket. Our current bloke charges $85 an hour and thats ok by me.

Cheers, John.

when you look at what you are going to blow Ding old mate it really is just a drop in the bucket.
    And just what Ive been thinking... okay so price range is something like $85 - ?? per hour (depending I guess) and the more info we can give them to work with tastes wants needs etc the better eh?

Cheers
    Shane
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

In my opinion you should be looking toward steel frame, especially living country and all, makes heaps of sense with transport. You will also save heaps on retaining as you just make your stumps as high as you want the house (and you will have all that space underneath to store timber

With appropriate insulation and orientaion of the house to maximise your use of winter sun you won't really notice the difference, we love ours and would never build any other way now. Draw up what you want, cut and paste different bits from different plans that you like then go and talk to the the Truss Factory. They will be able to either draft up council plans for you or put you in touch with a draftie that can - no architech. There is no reason however that you can not include an architech in this process if you want - we did as I have a mate who is one and I could not get our roof line to work. From that they can give you a price to supply and if needed install the frames for the house. You then either finish it yourself or get contractors in. We used a middle man but if I did it afain I would go straight to them. Our neighbours have and one week after starting they now have the stumps in the ground, the floor down and most of the wall frames up.

Here is a link to a site that I have documented our experience on.
    http://www.byohouse.com.au/forum4/viewtopic.php?t=380
    Last edited by Burnsy; 10th May 2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Additions

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    And just what Ive been thinking... okay so price range is something like $85 - ?? per hour (depending I guess) and the more info we can give them to work with tastes wants needs etc the better eh?

Cheers
    Shane
    I should think its somewhere between $85 and the sky, the current bloke works from home and is just getting going. I suppose if we are lucky the first concept drawing comes in trumps as each redraft gets the meter ticking. Depends a bit on how fussy you get and to what extent we take on new ideas.

Cheers, John.

Ding, read this before you decide on what style of house you want.

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...ical/index.htm

It will save you and the planet heaps.

Al

That's a bloody nice crib you got there, Burnsy.
    If you don't mind my asking, how much did you end up spending on it?
    'What the mind of man can conceive, the hand of a toolmaker can achieve.'
    Owning a GPX250 and wanting a ZX10 is the single worst experience possible. -Aside from riding a BMW, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Article99 View Post
    That's a bloody nice crib you got there, Burnsy.
    If you don't mind my asking, how much did you end up spending on it?
    On budget to come in just under 300k and that is complete with all top qualilty fittings and fixtures (such as solid benchtops), floor coverings (110m of marri and carpet for the rest) and window treatments. It is pretty big, 230m of living space then decking on top of that. Just have to pull my finger out and finish the tiling, I hate tiling and seem to find lots of other things I would rather do! There is no way we could have got the same spec and size for that price if we had used a builder.

You really have to keep an eye on architects (and engineers) - most of them seem to work on a 'percentage of estimated cost' basis- that's their estimate of what the thing will cost to build & finish - including solid gold taps with diamonds through out. If you can find one that works for an hourly rate & can follow directions, you have found a rare beast indeed.

I know one in Sydney, but she has given up her practice to raise twins.

Geez, louise. For 300k, that's mighty impressive. Very nice.
    'What the mind of man can conceive, the hand of a toolmaker can achieve.'
    Owning a GPX250 and wanting a ZX10 is the single worst experience possible. -Aside from riding a BMW, I guess.

Burnsey is that Jon bloke still available at that phone number given in the link? and the Statewide mob that did the steel where are they located?

This could be an interesting excersize... so can they organize to have the steelwork done and erected?

Al cheers mate will work with some of that whatever way we go

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    Burnsey is that Jon bloke still available at that phone number given in the link? and the Statewide mob that did the steel where are they located?

This could be an interesting excersize... so can they organize to have the steelwork done and erected?

Al cheers mate will work with some of that whatever way we go

Cheers!
    sent you a pm