Default Porter-Cable nailgun

Was $799 now $450 at Carbatec.
    Anyone got one and are they any good for that price?
    Will prob be gettinga finishing gun and framer aswell but the fencing comes first.

Just buy a framing gun and put smaller nails in, unless you are a profesional fencer.

I have a Duo-fast framing gun, when I use it for sheet bracing I buy the Zinculume 50mm nails.

Apparently the Makita guns are ok, so a builder friend has told me.

Another friend has just bought a framing gun from Total tools, there own brand, its price is under $500.

Daniel

I have a standard framing gun and when I had to replace a section of the paling fence I bought a box of 2" nails.
    The only problem I had was that the nails shot right through the palings until I attached a spacer onto the gun.

Regards,

Peter

Post porter cable gun

Fantapantz
    i suppose it depends what you want the gun for?
    i have many different nailguns( framing,fixing,clout, concrete,ramset etc)but i dont use one gun only for all jobs.i have a hitachi clout gun very simular to the p/cable and it is probably the most versatile gun i have, it shoots 32mm hardened nails/and clouts of varying lengths and finishes as well as decking nails.like i said it depends on what you will mainly use it for but try nailing decking with a framing gun , and try nailing f.17 hardwood with a fixing gun it just wont work.

(horses for courses)

Default poprter cable gun

By the way in answer to your question the hitachi gun that i own was worth $830.00 so i guess that the porter cable is a very good buy at that price.one thing to watch out for though ,when using hardened nails they tend to jam alot and they wear out the drive pin quicker other than that a great gun.

My problem is what is right to buy that will be more multi-functional. The other one that i've been looking at is a Stanley-Bostitch (pic below). A much greater range of nail sizes available.

How important is that extra 1/4" that you get from a sole purpose frame gun 3 1/2" vs 3 1/2"?

like i said it depends mainly what you will want to use it for. these gus are very versatile but they dont have a lot of punch! therefore even though they can use 3" nails they would have a hard time putting a frame together . they are mainly used to fix sheet materials or fence pailings to solid timber not solid timber to solid timber.same goes for a dedicated framing gun they are better applied for solid timber to timber fixing rather than sheet material to solid timber.although with spacers,backing off p.s.i ,adjusting depth gauge etc. you can improvise.

mick

Quote Originally Posted by Fantapantz
    Will prob be gettinga finishing gun and framer aswell but the fencing comes first.

I saw one at Cash Converters at Browns Plains for $220. It looks to be in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck
    I saw one at Cash Converters at Browns Plains for $220. It looks to be in good nick.
    One wonders if the previous owner knows where it is now? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Bassoon
    One wonders if the previous owner knows where it is now? :eek:
    True. I once told the manager of one of these establishments that I don't like parking my truck outside for too long while I browse in case my gear starts turning up on the shelves.

Default Fence

Quote Originally Posted by Fantapantz
    You don't need a nail gun for the fence.
    Do not use nails Use Zink screw or hot gal. They will not pull out and hold forever.
    Any variable speed drill will work if you do not have a screw gun. I have a good screw gun but I do not have the attachment to do automatic feed. I just put up 100 Meters of fence. I had someone put the board in place to the string and I screwed 4 screws in each board. We did it in one day. I bolted the stringers to the metal post the day before.