Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Habital dwelling

Greetings from soggy Cairns
    We have 33 acres near Gundagai in NSW and are currently looking at putting a colourbond shed on the property.
    At this stage (sometime in the future) we are looking at possibly converting and living in half the shed for several years. (the converted area would be approx 7m x 12m)
    I've been told by the locals that most people just live in their sheds for several years without council permission and, even though not technically allowed, they get away with it.
    What I'm trying to get a rough idea of is what classifies a habital dwelling. (without approaching the council at this stage)
    I'm aware of 2.4m ceiling heights, lining, insulation and understand the need for it to meet the BASIX requirements.
    Any other ideas on what could be necessary? (eg slab heights, number of windows etc needed, the dividing wall requirements between garage and dwelling, minimum size etc)
    Even if I do this on the sly, I would still be insulating, lining etc anyway. I guess I'm just wondering how much further I would have to take it to make it a habital dwelling.
    The other alternative would be to have a shed and a large caravan on site but for the same cost I think I could make part of the shed liveable.

Regards Simon

Probably just depend on the local council, around here rural living will allow you to use a shed for living, so long as it passes the living standard.

We had a shed next to the pool on a property that was originally council approved as a Shed, but when we went to sell wanted to have 'reclassified' as a habitable building. It had a spa, toilet, shower, big tiled area and a 'storage' area that became a bedroom. Obviously extra accommodation would improve saleability and price.

It had a sink but no stove (microwave did not count as it was not hard wired) so they considered it a habitable area, but not self contained accommodation - that would have been a few more hurdles for approval. Had to prove slab had plastic underneath, wet areas were waterproofed to standard, plumbing waste was properly hooked up to septic and smoke alarms fitted. Not that much drama really and would have been done up front if I had known, but had been told by various people of 'Council problems' and thought I'd try to keep under the radar as much as possible.

Up to you if you get Council approval up front, but if you are going to build it you may as well do it to habitable standards first up and have the documentation ready about slab plastic, waterproofing etc if it is ever required.

Thanks for the replys guys.
    I get the feeling that there won't be too many extra things to do to make it a legal dwelling.
    I'll be down there in April so will drop in and see the council.
    Thanks and regards
    Simon