Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default disposable gloves

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any good disposable gloves for use with epoxy etc?
    I love the ones I use at the moment but they're very pricey. Its a latex, nitrile and neoprene blend called Trituff... a lot more comfy than plain latex or nitrile, but around $19 for a box of 100!

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Woolies - the small red box that has the blue nitrile gloves, I think they are the herculean brand or something similar.

These are great, any other type of disposable gloves I've tried just disintegrate in contact with the finish.

rrich Guest

Check with your Chinese Tool Import shops. I just bought a box of nitrile gloves for $6US. (Our chain of shops is called Harbor Freight among other things.)

I use Chux vinyl gloves, rather than latex, for epoxy. If you put a bit of talc on your hands they'll go on much more easily.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I use these vinyl gloves from Elraco.
    Mostly for use when at the lathe/mill but I've used them successfully for fibre glassing.

Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Anyone know if any of the suggested gloves handle a turps and linseed mix? Last time I used surgicals when using steel wool/turps/linseed mix the finger tips wore through after a couple of minutes...the steel wool probably did most of the damage but the turps seem to make the latex(?) go mushy. Now I just grin and bare it and go nude

Hi Springwater, I once used latex with WipeOnPoly and had the exact same thing happen, hence I now only use the nitrile for WOPoly, using the water dyes and shellac (shellac makes a great fingernail varnish, but is hellishly sticky on skin)

Ya can't go wrong with the nitrile, but beware the steel wool

Hi Rufffly, good to hear from you Lately I've been scrubbing small pieces of wood with steel wool soaked with turps/linseed in a s'steel bowl and found I can stand about an hour before my hands start tingling and burning The first session was the worst, pretty sure I lost a layer or two of skin, by the fourth session my hands have a shining crusty glaze over them, nice! 150 pieces to go, so getting nitrile gloves should go along way toward returning my hands to their usual elegant beauty must try the shellac fingernail varnish what do you use to get the dye off when you want to change colour...bleech maybe...you do use colour don't you

Hi Spring, I certainly do use colour - Feast Watson proof tint black, UBeauts Water dyes - all the the colours and the mahogany or whiskey leather dyes. Unfortunately, the only thing that gets rid of these colours is the pumice stone..... Ohh you meant fingernail polish colour

Seriously though, wear the gloves, turps is not a good thing to have on your skin and wrap the steel wool in a piece of cloth so it doesn't cut the gloves so quickly.

150 pieces aye ... I wonder what you are working on

I first read your reply on the Ispy thingy which only shows the start of the post, I thought oh no she thought I was serious you got me a beauty I feel as though I've just about highjacked this thread but the matter seems resolved so doesn't the wrapping in cloth of the steel wool stop its effectiveness or does it hang out a bit, spose I could stop typing and go and find out Our camera was last seen in a Taxi in another country so its a no show of progress on what I'm working on but it is happening

yeah, it's been a beauty of a hijack, but the point is still there - good nitrile gloves are worth their weight in gold for turps, shellac, dyes and epoxy.

You got it! Wrapping the steel wool in a cloth with a bit hanging out means your fingers are protected but there's enough steel wool to do the job. it's a trick my Mum taught me when scrubbing the pots and pans as a kid. She'd always wrap the steel wool in one of the those green scrubbers.

cheers
    W