Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Polish?

Question Polish?

Needing some advice. I bought a little slab of Mallee root burl from a local wood show to mount some clock movements onto. I have sanded the surface down from the rough sawing marks it had on it.

Im guessing that I need to polish up the surface and then attach the clock movements. Can anyone recommend a nice polish for the job that will bring up a nice finish? any of the ubeaut products? or should I look at doing a lacquer or something?

thanks in advance
    Brett
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Brett, it really depends on the type of 'look' you want. I have made several clocks from burl and after filling all the cavities with resin I just use a few good coats of lacquer then I cut & polish that to a perfectly level and smooth finish. Looks practically identical to a traditional french polished 'piano finish'. But I have also seen the same thing finished with oils and waxs and they also look really good. Neil's products are able to be used on flat surfaces, but I will let him tell you more about that. I know Iain uses them on flat surfaces with good success.
    Cheers!