Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Default NMTB30 versus ISO30 taper

Here's where I'm puzzled Dave.

Schaublin show in their mill catalogue a cross section of the spindle. The taper angle is 8 degrees 17 minutes 50 seconds which is 8.29722 degrees or 16.59444 included.

NMTB30 tapers are 16.7112 degrees included.

I can see how the American taper fits the Euro socket but I wonder if the reverse would result in the narrow end of the ISO taper jamming in a the NMTB socket.

Bob.

Dave J Guest

Hi Bob,
    I am not 100% sure with your machine, as from what I have read they are all inter changeable. Going by your dimensions it would be tight at the top. It might be worth getting hold of one to try.
    I will do some home work latter.

Dave

Hi Dave,

With the dollar now at 1.07 I think it's getting close to where it's a good time to buy.

ER32 NT30 M12 From CTC comes out a fraction cheaper than ebay's YS because of the postage differences.

For an order of 5x from CTC is $228.54, from YS $256.50, (from H&F it would be $742 + postage )

Regards
    Ray

Ray & Dave.

If you order direct from CTC Tools, ie not via eBay, you will save a further 12%.

Heine pointed this out to me in a recent exchange of emails, and this is what I now do.

The thing I really like about this company, is the service, and their easy to navigate, web site.

The tool quality is fine for me.

If you use their "cart" system, the postage charge will come up giving you a total, before committing. Too easy to spend!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post

The thing I really like about this company [CTC], is the service...

Ken
    I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent on April 9. Might see if someone else wants my money.

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Dave,

With the dollar now at 1.07 I think it's getting close to where it's a good time to buy.

ER32 NT30 M12 From CTC comes out a fraction cheaper than ebay's YS because of the postage differences.

For an order of 5x from CTC is $228.54, from YS $256.50, (from H&F it would be $742 + postage )

Regards
    Ray
    I am just getting over my christmas buy up and have a bit put away so I will see what happens. I haven't seen my Indian mates down at the markets for a while and they always love to reduce the prices for cash,lol

Dave

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Ray & Dave.

If you order direct from CTC Tools, ie not via eBay, you will save a further 12%.

Heine pointed this out to me in a recent exchange of emails, and this is what I now do.

The thing I really like about this company, is the service, and their easy to navigate, web site.

The tool quality is fine for me.

If you use their "cart" system, the postage charge will come up giving you a total, before committing. Too easy to spend!

Ken

Thanks Ken,
    I have only ever bought from CTC though his shop. I bought off online tool seller through ebay years ago.

Dave

Bryan,

Try again, obviously your email went astray. If Heine sights it, he will respond next day.

Ken

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent on April 9. Might see if someone else wants my money.
    I think it may have been lost if you haven't had a reply yet. He is usually strait onto it.

Dave

Hi Neksmerj,
    Did the collets and chuck end up arriving, are you happy with the quality of them? I am after the 19 piece ER32 set and a holder to suit.
    Regarding the collet chuck which drawbar end thread did you chose and was there any specific reason you went that way? There is M12, 3/8” 16TPI & ½” 13TPI to choose from.
    Also where would I find the bit that goes onto the end of the spindle to lock the chuck in (not sure on the correct name) I guess a suitable nut and washer could be used?
    With the order from ctc you made did you have the option of adding more to the package without the postage cost rising too much? There a a few other bits I need such as a live centre and maybe some lathe tooling.

Thanks

Are you reffering to the Draw Bar,the bar with nut and threaded end that screws into the end of the collet chuck to pull it up into the taper.

Dave J Guest

M12 is common for over here, it would also depend on your machine and if it needed to match existing tooling.
    The draw bar can be made up out of thread rod or custom made out of bar to suit. Some manufactures pin the hex to the top. Ebay has a few new ones on there, but you will have to check the sizes.
    CTC postage prices will go up as you get more and there is no flat rate box. What you can do if you order is heavy, is to ask for sea shipping which is around a third of the price.

Dave

Thats the one i'm refering too pipeclay.

As I don't have any existing tooling I will go with the metric I think. It's for a sheraton 9"

Should be able to pick up a bit of threaded rod for very little at a bolt shop or maybe they will have a bolt in a similar length.

Going to have to sit down and work out what I want from ctc.

Thanks

You will either have to make a bolt or use the threaded rod,you will also need a steped insert to go in the end of your headstock spindle,it needs to be about 250 to 300 mm long.

A piece about 25mm long turned down for 15mm to fit the spindle bore leaving 10 mm for the nut and washer to lock up against,25 to 30mm OD material would be large enough,if you can try and make it so that you can still open the change gear guard when fitted.

Also get your self a piece of round bar about 400mm long 16 mm od to use as a drift to remove the collet chuck from the spindle.

You might want to also consider a spindle nose protector if you think it is warranted.

For a drift, consider aluminium bar is it won't damage the thing you are belting out and the spindle bore. If you make a nose protector, it can double up as an ejector for some of your taper mounted tooling. No belting required.

BT