Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post

Well, if evidence was proof, then all court cases would get a guilty verdict, would they not?

what does beyond reasonable doubt refer to then ?
    Cases are decided on probability ie balance of evidence all the time.

The fact that a very, very large number of people believe in him.
    Something makes them feel that way

Do you honestly consider belief in something to be evidence of existance...pa lease . Extending that logic to my case " if i believe god doesnt exist therefore he musnt" case closed...sounds silly doesnt it

Does that mean Santa really did exist when I was a kid ? If so what happened to him.

There are documents saying that he exists.

In the case of texts documenting the life of Jesus. Natural history or evidence based history as shown that they are historically dubious

There are events which people say are evidence.
    Again they believe... Scientifically miracles dont constitute evidence because they can also have a more probable natural explanation

Like I say, I am more in favour of the negative side.

If there is no evidence, then why are you not a 7?

But there is evidence...science is full of evidence...addmitedly science doesnt have all the answers yet , so i think it is more than resonable to delay my 100% conviction that there is no God

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac View Post
    A truly wonderous discussion is taking place here, and I'm starting to get the point...
    This you say, is indeed god-like, therefore there is a God?

Ahhh..... but did he create the universe ?

Does that mean Santa really did exist when I was a kid ? If so what happened to him.

As per Douglas Adams, he disappeared in a puff of logic
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

what does beyond reasonable doubt refer to then
    It refers to the fact that, despite the evidence, there is enough doubt to find the defendent not guilty. If having evidence of something was proof, then there would be no need for reasonable doubt.

But there is evidence...science is full of evidence...addmitedly science doesnt have all the answers yet , so i think it is more than resonable to delay my 100% conviction that there is no God
    You just said there isn't. Do make up your mind.

Anyway, I'm not arguing whether there is a god or not, I'm arguing that to adopt an absolute position on something without proof one way or the other is illogical. That's all I said, all this other stuff is just side tracking.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    .... I'm not arguing whether there is a god or not, I'm arguing that to adopt an absolute position on something without proof one way or the other is illogical. .....
    Is that an argument or a contradiction?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

yes
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

No it's not.
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    No it's not.
    Oh yes it is

$5 for five more minutes
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

It refers to the fact that, despite the evidence, there is enough doubt to find the defendent not guilty. If having evidence of something was proof, then there would be no need for reasonable doubt.
    I though "beyond resonable doubt" refered to a level of proof that must be met based on the balance of the evidence.

to try yo illustrate my logic.

if a court charges God with "Existing with intent to create the universe" it is up to the prosecution to provide evidence that he does exist beyond a resonable doubt. I think the defences case that he "doesnt exist" is more valid based on the balance of evidence. There for he would be found not guilty of "existing and creating the universe"

You just said there isn't. Do make up your mind.
    where did I say there is no evidence ? Maybe I didnt make myself clear...If I did Im sorry. So to make it clear I will sumarise

"I believe the probablity of the existence of a creationist god to be extremely low. I only conceed the very small possibilty there maybe a god because there there is no conclusive proof that he doesnt. How can one prove or disproove such a thing that is the nature of God. However I believe based on scientific evidence that we are here as a direct result of evolution. Evolution being the evidence I base my belief that it is most probable that there is no God."

Anyway, I'm not arguing whether there is a god or not,
    Yes you were I asked for evidence and you gave it. That constiutes at least a debate if not an argument . To support your position as an Agnostic you must argue the case for god as much as you argue the case against(that sounds illogical to me). But like me you appear to be on the Athiest side of the fence...just not as far

I'm arguing that to adopt an absolute position on something without proof one way or the other is illogical.
    Im saying you dont need proof....because such I thing I think can never be proven one way or the other. But evidence strongly sides with the case against.

cheers
    BD

Gentlemen and Ladies,
    We seem to have strayed from the post subject somewhat, well, a great deal actually.
    I will be making a stand!!!
    I need to get some suitable pieces of timber to make a stand for a six foot fish tank.

If there is a creationalist God, Who created him?

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by pedro the swift View Post
    Gentlemen and Ladies,
    We seem to have strayed from the post subject somewhat, well, a great deal actually.
    I need to get some suitable pieces of timber to make a stand for a six foot fish tank.
    Will it contain babelfish?

My Other Toys

Do you think this is what funky chicken had in mind? Was he just fishing for a really bloomin long thread?
    Maybe he/she was only joking and fooled everyone
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gra View Post
    If there is a creationalist God, Who created him?
    Moses?
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by pedro the swift View Post
    Gentlemen and Ladies,
    Maybe you can put yours next to wongos and have a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Do you think this is what funky chicken had in mind? Was he just fishing for a really bloomin long thread?
    Maybe he/she was only joking and fooled everyone
    Whatever his intention I can pretty much guarantee he wasn't what happened here, you couldn't plan this

My Other Toys