Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nev25 View Post
    What I want to know is what did the CO2 emissions from all the candles that where lit during earth hour did to the ozone layer
    That'd be chlorofluorocarbons, not carbon dioxide
    Mick

avantguardian

they come from airasole not candles,

i just had an idea if we all stop breathing there will be less co2 going into the atmasphere and global worming will stop .

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    Ballarat is renowned for being the coldest wettest place in Victoria (well nearly) and the lake is dry. The water resavoirs which are in all major waterways are below 1/5th full and havent been over 1/3rd in the past 5 years.
    Its the 3rd worst drought in Ballarat since records have been kept.

In 1944 the lake was bone dry and the Seppo Army who were based at Victoria Park were bored and wanted to concrete it. How bizzare.

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Its the 3rd worst drought in Ballarat since records have been kept.

In 1944 the lake was bone dry and the Seppo Army who were based at Victoria Park were bored and wanted to concrete it. How bizzare.
    i said 1956 cos i wasnt here before then
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

i said 1956 cos i wasnt here before then
    Either was i But it shows the weather has been drier in the past in Ballarat. And as i understand it, global warming flatlined in 1998 and in the last 18 months has started a minute reversal. Even NASA said the oceans are starting to cool.

Not sure how you could even begin to compare then to now. What were the water storages like at the time? What was the population, what was the water consumption per person vs availability of stored water and what is it now . Very hard to compare accurately (any of this stuff).

I reckon there are simply too many of us, we're worse than rabbits. Knock a couple of billion on the head or toss 'em into the river in hessian bags, that should slow things down for a bit.

I dont suppose population growth on top of a prolonged dry spell has anything to do with water shortages?

Last year was a great snow season (I was there). This year shaping up to be even better!

See you on the slopes.
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Not sure how you could even begin to compare then to now. What were the water storages like at the time? What was the population, what was the water consumption per person vs availability of stored water and what is it now . Very hard to compare accurately (any of this stuff).
    67/68 was the last major drought in Ballarat (at its peak) and because of it they built the Gong (Lal Lal Reservoir) to supply Ballarat and Geelong. I vaguley remember because my Dad was in charge of building the pipeline from the Gong to Ballarat.

Ballarats population has gone tropo since then, and the capacitys are now at 8.5% (average of all the reservoirs) but alls not gloom, as the Goldfields Pipeline opens in 12 weeks to top up the White Swan. Rain is still needed, but the long term forcasters are predicting its not to far away.

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    67/68 (at its peak) was the last major drought in Ballarat, and because of it they built the Gong (Lal Lal Reservoir) to supply Ballarat and Geelong. I vaguley remember because my Dad was in charge of building the pipeline from the Gong to Ballarat.

Ballarats population has gone tropo since then, and the capacitys are now at 8.5% (average of all the reservoirs) but alls not gloom, as the Goldfields Pipeline opens in 12 weeks to top up the White Swan. Rain is still needed, but the long term forcasters are predicting its not to far away.
    Ballarats water storage has overflowed nearly every year but for the last 7 years it is going down not up.

The thought that Ballarat needs more resavouirs is false as the present ones dont fill. This is not due to the extra users but mainly due to the fact the rainfall has been so low for such a prolonged period.
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

Ballarats water storage has overflowed nearly every year but for the last 7 years it is going down not up.

The thought that Ballarat needs more resavouirs is false as the present ones dont fill. This is not due to the extra users but mainly due to the fact the rainfall has been so low for such a prolonged period.
    But the 67/68 drought (as i said, at its peak, just like we are peaking now) started in the early 60`s no different to the time frame now.

Imagine back then if all the crazys had come out and protested about building the Gong because their was no water to fill it? And the pussy Government caved in just like Bracksey kept doing? It was Bolte who had the vision and commonsence and agreed. Thank God, otherwise Ballarat would be in total crisis.

And shame about the billions and billions of liters of water that flow from the Otways into the ocean isnt it. Could really use that. Maybe Brumby will show his big balls and agree to a new dam, because believe it ot not, it is going to rain again just like it did after the big one in the Rat after 67/68

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    That'd be chlorofluorocarbons, not carbon dioxide
    So Burning candles emit Chlorofluorocarbons
    No wonder I failed Secondary School Science
    Electricity:
    One Flash and you're ASH

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

IncreaSe is how the word is spelt Rod.

Look around you mate, get out of the city and have a good look around at the countryside, check out the Murray, look at the ice fields and glaciers of the world, just open your eyes and your mind

Spelling was never a strong ponit. LOL

I do know that the ice fields are increasing thanks to some cold winters. Funny how they refreeze when it gets cold!!

I don't know if it is me that needs to open my mind here Christopha. See my post above. I guess the Murray will never recover when it rains again eh? What are you going to point to next time the Murray floods? Or is a flooding Murray river a thing of the past? Really.
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    I don't know much about power generation but everyone I've spoken to who claims to says that it's not possible to just 'switch off' a power station. They work by anticipating demand and excess mechanical force has to be dispersed some other way if the power is not being used. Most coal power stations run the generators by creating steam which powers turbines. The steam is created by heating water by burning coal. If there is more steam than is required for the power being generated and used, the steam is vented. That means the coal was already burnt, so nothing was saved at all.
    As I understand it Silent, you're mostly right

what I think happened when the lights were turned off is that the "peaking" plants (hydro or gas turbine) were already off because it was a Saturday night and the coal fired stations just continued going flat out.
    Generating output was varied by varying the electrical current feeding the electro magnets inside the generators which in turn varies the power output.

as I said earlier ZILCH impact apart from feeling warm and fuzzy

the acid test is how many lights were turned off as not needed today?

ian

The organiser of this lights out rubbish here in Melbourne told us today in the paper that "2 million" Vctorians turned the power off, and it was the equivalent of taking 64.000 cars off the road for an hour. What an idiot.