Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

some of you who have contributed to this thread need to ask yourselves why it inspires such strong emotions in you
    Hmm, "redneck" is a somewhat emotive term, wouldn't you say? So have you asked yourself (and maybe Astrid can ask herself the same question) why the desire for an apology inspires such strong emotions in you? Why do you feel all this guilt that you need to be forgiven for? Is there something you'd like to tell us?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Well I feel strong empathy (after watching Rabbit proof fence) and feel that it can only do good.
    Mick

avantguardian

Maybe they should make a movie about that girl who died in the dirt last year because her indigenous foster mother couldn't be bothered taking her to a hospital? I feel empathy for her too.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Maybe they should make a movie about that girl who died in the dirt last year because her indigenous foster mother couldn't be bothered taking her to a hospital? I feel empathy for her too.
    And the white girl who starved to death in Hawks Nest. I think whatever is bought in to solve the problems of the aboriginies should apply to all of these "people" regardless of colour or ethnic background. This might help to relieve the perception that things are being done to Aboriginies as a special case.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

I can see that my red-neck reference was offensive, but I refuse to apologise, because that was in the past and I've disassociated myself from it on the grounds that I was in a different mood then.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    ... should apply to all of these "people" regardless of colour or ethnic background. This might help to relieve the perception that things are being done to Aboriginies as a special case.

HH.
    Probably the best put so far and succinctly too.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Default Newspaper article

Forum members who have contributed to this thread if you do a search of www.news.com.au/heraldsun/ a Victorian paper ?

There is an article written by Andrew Bolt on January 30 2008 which really puts this into perspective. The title of the article is "Why we should not be saying sorry"

It is in the items numbered 91 to 100. This is non emotional, non derogatory, does not refer to anyone as being a redneck, just a very good factual article in my opinion regardless of which side of the fence you may be on.

There is a link which will save a search down on post 131 Thanks

Regards Mike
    Last edited by MICKYG; 12th February 2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Detail re link

should apply to all of these "people" regardless of colour or ethnic background. This might help to relieve the perception that things are being done to Aboriginies as a special case.
    Yes I agree. Unfortunately, there are too many 'special' processes in place. Like the one that says an indigenous child can't be taken into protective foster care until all avenues within the indigenous community have been exhausted - and then it has to be approved by tribal elders.

Do you think this situation exists because social workers thought it was best for all concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by MICKYG View Post
    Forum members who have contributed to this thread if you do a search of www.news.com.au/heraldsun/ a Victorian paper ?

There is an article written by Andrew Bolt on January 30 2008 which really puts this into perspective. The title of the article is "Why we should not be saying sorry"

It is in the items numbered 91 to 100. This is non emotional, non derogatory, does not refer to anyone as being a redneck, just a very good factual article in my opinion regardless of which side of the fence you may be on.

Regards Mike

The article is HERE.

Haven't read it yet, still finishing the book

Thanks Mike, I'd been looking for that story by Bolt.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Yes I agree. Unfortunately, there are too many 'special' processes in place. Like the one that says an indigenous child can't be taken into protective foster care until all avenues within the indigenous community have been exhausted - and then it has to be approved by tribal elders.

Do you think this situation exists because social workers thought it was best for all concerned?
    Well that's just rubbish it should be one law for all, not taking the chance that a child may suffer prelonged abuse because of an overly consultative approach.

The do-gooders may say this applies our values and does not allow for cultural differences but in the case of child safety I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Uhmm maybe this was the thought process back in the day.......

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Well it's just one example of special rules that have been created for them because we must tip toe around their sensibilities. I can't see how an apology that officially recognises special circumstances is going to improve that situation. I'm sure it will make it worse. It will be the reference point for all future indigenous policy.

Is an apology a culturally appropriate response? Given the "traditional" method of settling disputes, I wonder if an apology to the stolen generation has any meaning, or if it simply affirms a greater loss of aboriginal culture. Rather like the taboo against seeing pictures or hearing voices of dead aboriginals on television. How recent is that particular "tradition"?

But - if it helps, if it removes the hold, if it can make a difference, then do it, regardless of any personal sense of responsibility. It clears one particular patch of air, and might enable some forward movement, or at least the initial unravelling of what indigenous Australians feel is the real issue.

Politicians were ever a bunch of realists, and Mr Rudd, in the finest tradition of Macchiavelli, is simply carrying on a political tradition - necessita - to do that which is necessary. Regardless of whether you feel the apology is from you or not, this apology by the Government establishes a moral precedent for intervention in aboriginal affairs. Which is, I feel, why so many aboriginals are reluctant to accept an apology. Just my thoughts.
    Incoming

Never eat prunes when you're hungry

No, we should just apologise for giving them the grog and the dole with which to buy it.
    Mick

avantguardian

Come on Governer Ross,

Stand by your comments, dont hide behind rubbish, as clever as it may be. You stuck your head out, dont hide like Astrid.

Tell us what you are going to do?