Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bob marino View Post
    No question the Domino will be one of Festool's best selling tools, although most their most expensive one. Festool USA is stocking up and "preorders" are coming in fast.
    Wondered if you would show up here eventually, Bob. These blokes can do things with the Domi that you can't yet imagine.

Lignum, Rob, Tassie, Patr, et al. This guy is my Festo dealer, so give him suitable he11 about getting me mine first.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    Wondered if you would show up here eventually, Bob. These blokes can do things with the Domi that you can't yet imagine.

Lignum, Rob, Tassie, Patr, et al. This guy is my Festo dealer, so give him suitable he11 about getting me mine first.
    Bob,

Incredible uses here no doubt, but Rick C is pretty handy with the tools also!

Patience Bob, patience - April will soon be here.

Bob

http://bobmarinosbesttools.com
    Last edited by bob marino; 22nd January 2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add title

Bob,

Incredible uses here no doubt, but Rick C is pretty handy with the tools also!
    Welcom and thanks for the fantastic words of encouragment for us hillbillies here DownUnder

Welcome Bob,
    Couple questios for you.
    Why do you need to perform a 3rd cut when jointing boards as per the basic method you have provided and I have referred to in these forums? I can do it here with only two cuts on timbers probably harder and more difficult to work (deeper timbers too, though you don't have the TS75) than you would be used to. Do you really need to waste that extra timber? Also, how do you place the boards on a bench without cutting the bench? Are you using foam under the piece and saw as a sacrificial base? Wouldn't it be better to put say, two pieces of pine, joined together by dominos and with a gap between them such that you waste no resource?
    What exactly has Rick shown you that isn't listed here? Please remember we are 12 months ahead as far as Domino goes and are, as a nation regarded highly as innovators.

Regards and once again, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowboy View Post
    Welcome Bob,
    Couple questios for you.
    Why do you need to perform a 3rd cut when jointing boards as per the basic method you have provided and I have referred to in these forums? I can do it here with only two cuts on timbers probably harder and more difficult to work (deeper timbers too, though you don't have the TS75) than you would be used to. Do you really need to waste that extra timber? Also, how do you place the boards on a bench without cutting the bench? Are you using foam under the piece and saw as a sacrificial base? Wouldn't it be better to put say, two pieces of pine, joined together by dominos and with a gap between them such that you waste no resource?
    What exactly has Rick shown you that isn't listed here? Please remember we are 12 months ahead as far as Domino goes and are, as a nation regarded highly as innovators.

Thanks guys for the welcome.

I just ripped to get 2 sides even so they can be joined. I did not yet check to see how you did it. Was it 2 boards on top of each other? At that time, the 75 was not out and I did not want to use the ATF 65 because not too many folks had one. A 1 1/2" rip would have been taxing the ATF 55.

Yes, it was foam (foil backed) that was used - it's cheap, light and easily moved around the shop.

Bob

At least we still have 10 weeks left where we are the worlds leading innovator regarding Domino use, then sadly overnight that will no longer be the case

Welcome Bob,

Rick has written excellent manuals on the OF 1400 router and TS 55 saw. I mean superb. He has shown the beginnings of his dining room table project - very precise...to say the least and the Domino plays a huge role.

Bob

Rick has written excellent manuals on the OF 1400 router and TS 55 saw. I mean superb. He has shown the beginnings of his dining room table project - very precise...to say the least and the Domino plays a huge role.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I have seen the beginniings of the table and it is impressive (despite claiming incredible tolerances then just ignoring having to adjust by .001" at the conclusion of the circle of dominoes), but that was not the question. Have you seen anything from Rick that you haven't seen here?
    Also, on the saw mill creek forums, in response to a question regarding cutting height on the said table, Rick responded saying that he could not cut both sets on mortices from the one fence height and that this was a limitation he discovered.
    After reading a post by Lignum on this forum he found he was wrong. If the manual he is writing is to be as superb as the others, wouldn't this have to be included and acknowledged?
    It's interesting that in the Leigh F1 template manual, at the beginning of the chapter on finger jointing large boards there is an acknowledgment of the private individual who developed this method.
    With the TS75, wouldn't it be better all round to use two bits of pine joined by dominos, with a gap between them so you do not have to dispose of foam after every few cuts? This method also allows easy relocation and can be set up on site using two sawhorses as supprt. The third cut to me is the same as clamping two pieces of timber for jointing in a vise and planing them simultaneously, which is a good way of covering planing (or saw's) faults or bad set up. If the saw is used with more thought, you can achieve results close to that of a shooting board using only the saw and avoid having to buy and more importantly dispose of foam.

Regards,

Rob

I suspect that Lignum's method of getting a larger milling height, by removing the black plastic stops to enable the fence to be raised higher would void the Domino's warranty, and so, despite being a potentially useful technique in special circumstances, it doesn't seem to be one that could be included in a user's manual. I imagine that it would be easy to damage the machine if you removed the stops and then raised the fence too high. In 99% of cases, a milling height of 30 mm should be plenty anyway.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I imagine that it would be easy to damage the machine if you removed the stops and then raised the fence too high. In 99% of cases, a milling height of 30 mm should be plenty anyway.

Rocker
    Its completly safe unless you are a moron

Taking the caps off gives you an extra "safe" 25mm, and since i have been doing it like like this, its like 10% maybe a bit more of Domis use would be this way and not the 1%. It makes a great versatile machine even better.

Also the added extra is being able to take the top completly of with ease to give it a better clean

Hi Rocker,
    Probably right about the warranty, but there are ways.
    I have shown that you can produce accurate, clean through tenons using the Domino to the size you desire, without need for a jig. The availability of another 25mm cutting height makes this even more attractive. I also find a need to use the cutter at greater than 30mm reasonably often and think its a great idea.
    The Manual bit is only part of a much bigger picture, which I am sure will unfold in time, but someone's gonna let this be known in the US, warranty or not.

Regards

Rob

but someone's gonna let this be known in the US, warranty or not.

Regards

Rob
    Someone on Saw mill creek will read this and pass it off as their own idea

I had a read of the Domi thread you were talking about and was dissapointed that Rocker, Clinton and Groggy said they were from Australia and gave their 2 bob as either a user or first hand observer and were (apart for a question for Rocker about his Rocker) all ignored

This mob havnt seen or used a Domino and are confused as to what they actually do, and then choose to ignore those who do know and want to offer their opinion. Is their any point any of us posting there?

A few of the comments are worthy of a chuckle, some are made in complete ignorance.
    If you go back to earlier discussions in the domino threads here you are likely to find similar comments.

We all have our moments. A year down the track and the nay sayers will be shouted down by those who are actually using the tools, or have seen them in action, it happens all the time.

If you go back far enough in Australian forums you will find guys screaming about combination machines being better than stand alones, nowadays they are par for the course. We're not so different.

Greg you miss my point. I dont mind those who have doubts, as i was one of those in the early threads. I was just dissapointed that the "Aussie" blokes who knew about the Domino and could contribute were totaly ignored. Thats what i didnt like. Anyone can post here and get quick and detailed and friendly replys. Look at Bob, he`s a Yank and an hounarary Aussie bloke

That is partly due to the way that site is set up. They have threaded mode enabled and people simply miss posts because they are buried deep in the hierarchy. It is quite hard to use after our in-line mode. There is something in what you say though, a bit of a clique there perhaps? A few of them I recognise from other sites, badger pond being one of them.