Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    Yes I've done a few and doing a few.
    You arent allowed to do more than 1 in Vic, and should imagine these laws will be nation wide before long.
    http://www.buildingcommission.com.au...asp?casid=3117

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    You arent allowed to do more than 1 in Vic, and should imagine these laws will be nation wide before long.

Al
    One every 3 years Oz if you have a look.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thats what I ment.

No more multiples, if you do more than one at a time, IMHO I think you should be registered anywho..

Al

Al
    Its the same in NSW except ours is once every 5 years as far as I am aware. I am also licenced to build.

Yes, multiple qualifications before you ask the next question.

So your not an owner builder in the true sense??

But a licened builder.

Im confused?
    Giving out advise as if you are an owner builder?

Al :confused:

Yes Oz but I was an owner builder 3 times before I got my qualifications. I did reveal this in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    Yes Oz but I was an owner builder 3 times before I got my qualifications. I did reveal this in another thread.
    Maybe I was not here that day, or didnt read your post.

Al

Yes, they tell me it's the lime that does it
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I have only read pages 1, 2 and 8. Whilst there are some good comments there is also a lot of negativity, probably why they are on this site cause they have no work.

I say go for it girl. Show the negatives you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949
    I say go for it girl. Show the negatives you can do it.

And when she finds out that she made the biggest and most expensive mistake of her life will you be there to help her out. :confused:

I haven't seen any negativity, only common sense advice. BTW I'm here because I don't have to work anymore.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Yes, they tell me it's the lime that does it
    Cant be, I dont use it.

Al

Cant be, I dont use it.

Al
    Wot, not even in evening aperitif???

P

Wots my teef got to do wiv it?

Al :confused:

I work in retail in the building supply area, so I have consistent contact with builders, owner builders and tradespeople. Bottom line is.. you're all correct. Being an owner builder can be a good way of saving money, and a terrific way of losing it and ruining relationships. Conversely many have great experiences having their home built for them, yet many others have the wost time of their lives. A few points from my perspective...

1. People who are good at organising generally will have an easier time of it.

2. If you think your pretty handy at renovating and want to control the trades to improve the work, you're on the wrong track (probably the reason many tradies will not work for owner builders).

3. If you are not confident that you can calmly handle crises STOP NOW!!

4. Being assertive at the wrong time is a recipe for disaster.
    4 (B) Being reticent at the wrong time can be even worse!

5. There is much good advice avaialble, sort of for free. I help many customers with free information which often saves them dollars and hassles. Thing is, I give more of this information to those who support me by purchasing from me. I regularly have people coming in after advise, getting goods from elsewher then coming back to ask how to fit them! Surprisingly I am far less forthcoming in these events.

6. I have seen people who know nothing about building have terrific experiences as owner builders and even save some money (don't expect to save huge amounts even in the best circumstances). They were those who could communicate well and politely, did'nt mind hard work, were willing to put loads of extra hours in and did their research BEFORE they went ahead with the next job.

7. No tradesperson is going to be happy dealing with your problems because you didn't know what you were doing (goods incorrect, tiles not available, didn't let them know you changed your mind and went for mixers rather than standard taps...). They will place you last on their priorities, and rightly so.

Think about what your time, sanity and relationships are worth, it might be better to pay the money and retain your existing lifestyle (to an extent). On the other hand you may have a rewarding, financially satisfying experience.

Cheers,
    silkwood

I am 2 years into my owner building project. Predictably I am overbudget, over time and pretty much over the whole thing. If there was a way to turn back the clock so that I had never got into this situation.......
    Final nail in the coffin is finding out that in order to sell up (which I may have to) I must take out warranty insurance and even then I may be liable for the cost of any defects that develop in the next 6 years.
    I think a poll would reveal that most owner builder projects result in strained finances and relationships.
    Keef