Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

well said Mick, well deserved round of applause from me.

I too firmly believe that one person can make a difference if they are bl***y minded enough.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Sat down with Son and Wife last night and discussed the options being put forward by Govt. For every option put forward, we came up with a reason why it wouldn't / shouldn't work.

I now put forward the following belief :
    There is nothing wrong with the current rules and if followed, I think we'd be ok. Therefore, the simple answer.....enforce what we already have. The age old argument of greater police presence. We are constantly told that the costs involved with accidents, investigations, hospitalisations, trauma, insurance etc.....is astronomical. So surely if we invest some money on more police on the road, the benefits returned will pay for the exercise in the long run.

It is a fact that we all drive more carefully if sitting next to a police car on the road.
    The Thief of BadGags

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

It's funny how the solution offered to every problem never includes 'enforcing the rules we already have', yet in every case, those rules were made with the belief that they'd address the problem. The cynic in me suggests that it's easier and cheaper to change the rules/laws than it is to enforce them ... but that's just silly.

Hear hear Mick. History shows that if you have a worthwhile cause and push it hard enough, it will eventually get up, with some politician taking the credit for his 'initiative'.
    But, you'll have won your point and have a nice warm feeling (like peeing your pants in the dark)
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

One person can make a big difference, you need to be pushy, determined, often loud and annoying, bloody minded, convinced of the right of your cause, and if possible doing for your children.

On the down side I found after I was married that that one person was my wife, and her crusades were often aimed at me.

Sure one person can make a difference and that persons name is Mrs DaveInOz
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    It's funny how the solution offered to every problem never includes 'enforcing the rules we already have', yet in every case, those rules were made with the belief that they'd address the problem. The cynic in me suggests that it's easier and cheaper to change the rules/laws than it is to enforce them ... but that's just silly.
    Rugby League is a classic example of that. The play-the-ball is ridiculous. When you play the ball you have to follow the rule except when you don't want to follow the rule. Then, all you have to do is at least make it look as if you are following the rule.
    Scrums are a joke! All you have to do to get people to behave in the scrums is sin-bin anyone who transgresses twice.

Same applies to the road. A drivers licence is a priviledge not a right. As far as DUI is concerned everyone is entitled to make a mistake once. Twice and the car should go into the crusher. I bet the family will make sure you don't drive drunk if it means the car will be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    As far as DUI is concerned everyone is entitled to make a mistake once.
    Err...Adrian,

How can anyone DUI possibly claim that it was a mistake?? And what of the kiddies you kill that one time??

"I'm sorry your honour, I thought my car was being driven by an alien?"

"I'm sorry your honour, I wondered why I didn't feel thirsty on the way home?"

"Really? Beer does THAT to your judgement??"

From memory last year's published stats had drink driving responsible for more than twice the number accidents caused by speeding. Even if I am wrong with that statistic, it should be the easiest cause to police and eliminate!

Sheesh!!!

P

Gaza,

We currently have about 12,000 police in the state of Victoria. Whilst we could do with some more, you would never have enough to rid the roads of fools. AND then there's the people who just stuff up who are otherwise good drivers. It happens. The coppers can't be everywhere, no matter how many there are, even if they were all as diligent and hard working as me .

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Wow - 8 pages of posts over a minority of idiots who would kill themselves regardless of what we did.

No wonder the Gov will now do a "Knee Jerk" reaction in legislation which will only hurt the innocent whilst the idiots will still do as they wish.

Give it a rest.

People have been doing this to themselves in one way or another since the beginning of time.

Only the method changes.

Nature will always find a way to prune her breeding stock.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    Your arguement seems to be that society is to blame for most of the ills that beset it, including people having car accidents. You are a member of this society and by your arguement you are 1/20,000,000th to blame for those three deaths - so what are you doing about it? If you feel so strongly about your gizmo to stop people speeding or black box to record infringements then why don't you campaign to have it introduced, put your money where your mouth is!

Mick
    Mick for PM!!
    Yeah!!
    Youve got my vote, I tryed to give the greenie, but you know, would let me.
    So bend over.
    Good argument Mick.

Al

Why is it that governments only treat the symptoms and never the cause? Too expensive and it will take more time than the next election. By that time everyone will have forgotten.
    I am amazed that we sit back and believe the governments story about speed cameras not being cash collectors. How in the hell does a camera stop a driver from speeding if he does not even know the camera is there???? Even when his pix is taken he is still speeding towards injury ( fatal )to himself or others. If he makes it home and collects the fine and loss of points he will ponder this and say "****, $XXXX, that would have bought me a couple of slabs!!" Police peresence on the road is a good deterent. I know we casn't have thoudsands of cops on the road but more than we have now should at least prevent the "normal" guy from taking a stupid risk. The kuckle heads are unstopable because they are born morons and short of a brain transplant or the reimplementation of national service will always be smarter than the rest of the population. It is human nature for young men to beat their chest, rattle the sabres and get into fisticuffs or whatever to let the world know they are MEN and can taske on anyone or anything. Creating more restrictive laws will further bottle up those youthfull masculine feelings and breed more resent which will fuel the regulators determination to make so many bloody laws that we will have a blowout. Think about it, suppresing all that youthfull energy will not fix anything, only redirect the same force in another direction. Get rid of the band aid brigade and get professional help. Being in the public service does not make anyone a professional in anything except big dollops of BS. Make defensive driving part of the requirement to get a license. Even a three wheeled Goggomobile has enough power and speed to kill. People, get real!!!!!
    Feels great to have a clean liver.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Default speed

If this discussion is about SPEED

All that is needed is Cruise Control fitted compulsory to motor vehicles, some external control would be a welcome addition as well.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Ive got cruise on my 5.4l V8 truck.
    Maxes out at 194 Killa watts.
    Top speed accourding to the speedo is 180 kph
    I can get to 80kph in first gear
    Second gear maxes out at 120 kph, Ive still got 2 more gears to go!! :eek: :eek:
    Our state speed limit is 100kph
    This truck weighs in at 2.5 tonnes
    0 to 100kms in the blink of an eye, not that Ive tried it of course

Sooo how is cruise going to help??

Al :confused:

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Maybe this would help!!
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Insert cheesy carnival music here.

Al