Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

I'm confused! If Smartbid is free, what do you need $5 "free" credit for. And if Smartbid is free, how are they going to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    I'm confused! If Smartbid is free, what do you need $5 "free" credit for. And if Smartbid is free, how are they going to make a profit?
    I expect the free will only last till they get enough listings etc.
    The $5 may be to cover admin etc till the system is running comfortably.
    So get in quick, spend $5 and pay no fees ever.
    btw I'm not involved, I haven't even registered - yet.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Online auction website eBay has dropped its bid to use Australia as a guinea pig to trial a new policy where all other modes of payment are barred except its own transaction gateway, PayPal.

As a result, direct deposits, personal cheques and money orders will continue to exist as allowing all existing payment methods on eBay.com.au.

Australia's Professional eBay Sellers Alliance president Phil Leahy welcomed the news. "This is great for the eBay community this will remove the confusion that's been around since this proposal was first made". "We're looking forward to getting back to business and providing a great experience to eBay buyers," Mr Leahy said.

Earlier this month the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission released a draft proposal to revoke eBay's immunity from anti-competitive sanctions for enforcing the payment policy on its website. EBay subsequently said it would continue to fight for the safety benefits of the policy for consumers, despite the ACCC ruling.

The auction giant said it was willing to go to court to ensure that the PayPal policy was enforced. EBay today withdrew its notification to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) of its intention to remove other payment methods. "While we disagree with the ACCC’s draft notice, we have decided to withdraw the notification to stop any further confusion and disruption among the eBay community," eBay Australia vice-president Simon Smith said in a statement.

"EBay's goal has always been to provide members with a safer experience. Under the current circumstances, we will continue to look for ways to do that while still offering a variety of payment choices. "EBay regrets any uncertainty that this process has caused among the community and believe that today’s decision will remove further doubt," Mr Smith said.

"Although we have decided not to move ahead with the further planned changes, eBay is pleased that all buyers can now choose PayPal along with other permitted payment methods of their choice". The ACCC had set a July 3 deadline for submissions to its draft notice and was set to make a final judgement by the end of July.

The trouble is that as a seller you still have to offer Paypal as a payment option even if you don't what to use it.

I was selling an item last week and put in the description that I preferred bank deposit and that the winning bidder "should not use paypal". The auction was going well and was in it's last day (of a 10 day listing) and ebay canceled it because of "Misleading and Discouraging Payments" or some such rubbish - all because I didn't want the winning bidder to use PayPal (because it costs me more and I don't like/trust them).

Now I understand that some people may not want to use bank deposit and thats fine ... don't bid. Sellers should have the right to stipulate whatever payment method suits them (within reason).
    Cheers.

Vernon.

I have reported 3 listings as being in contravention of Ebay rules for wanting buyers to pay extra if they use Paypal (no it wasn't one of yours Vernonv, at least I think they weren't).

The reason I did this is to get a response from Ebay regarding the supposed rule that sellers can't pass on Paypal fees.

I am still awaiting a response, it has been more than 48 hours and they promised a reply in < 36 hrs.

All 3 listings are still active.

I have in the past had words to the effect that Paypal fees are extra on my listings and they have never banned one of my listings.

endgrain Guest

you should check out their currency conversion rates we do a fair bit of international trading and have real issues with paypal and the like. it's a bleedin' ripp off! then they hang onto our cash for days on end (like banks used to do) FFS what is it with corps & shareholders these days? maybe the recession will cool things off.
    pigs might fly as well

Next time I sell something on E-Bay, I'll offer a postage discount on the stipulation the buyer doesn't use Paypal.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by cedarfiend View Post
    Yeas well, I've spent the "whopping" 5 dollars averification fee and I can list and sell as much as I like.

Their cut when I sell something? 0 dollars!

I can list as much as I like now without incurring any other costs. Can any other site match that?

You can always find a few holes to pick but given that smartbid are a brand new site (they open officially in 6 hours), I think it is a very good very real alternative auction site.
    I hope it works out for you, and I expect it will--for a while. But how do you think E-Bay got started? As a free service! Then the founders got swamped and couldn't afford to keep it free. So they asked everyone to send 5 cents to them when they sold something--honour system. The founders were buried in coins! Hmmm. . . new business model. The rest is history.
    Cheers,

Bob