Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    My wife has been to Jersey (her ex was born there). She's told me about the underground hospitals and the tunnels with mushroom farms etc. Her ex used to get into those tunnels too when he was a kid.

Funny place. Apparently you can't buy real estate unless you were born there - is that true? Wife's best mate was born there too and has family still there - she told me this but she's half Irish and so a bit mad.
    G'day SilentC

On the real-estate question, when I lived there, admittedly some time ago, the basic residency rules were along the lines of:

1. Island born, purchase permitted

2. Not island born, for the first first 10 years permitted to rent, but only property without its own front door (e.g. a flat), after another 10 years, and for another 10, i.e. 20 years, permitted to rent anything. After that 20 years, will be considered for approval to purchase.

3. Exceptions, under (if I recall correctly, housing law 1(1)k), someone who's annual taxes (at a flat 20%, remember), exceed GBP50k (i.e. an income >GBP250k) may be considered as eligible to purchase an approved property...
    Unless, the non island-born person marries an island born one, then the same rules as in point 1 above apply to the couple. If, however, a divorce occurs, then the non-island born person must vacate any "owned" property forthwith, and is subject to point 2 above if that person wishes to remain in the island.

There have been a number of instances where a couple have married, spent the loot and bought or built a house, only for a divorce to occur and the poor mutt/***** (no gender friction intended ) who isn't island born has had to debunk sharpishly, typically at firesale rates

Given that the island is only c 12mi x 8mi, and the static population was, then, around 65,000 (growing to well over 250,000 in summer, taking into account tourists and whatnot), there really wasn't all that much land to spread around (plenty of manure, though)

It was a bit odd, though that a number of 'personalities' who'd "made it' could, despite the rather draconian laws, find and but themselves some very nice examples of homes...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    So Steve, what were you drinking to bring on this thread? Hmmmmm?

Good premis for a novel though. Especially the honorary coppers of the inebriated variety.

Cheers
    Richard
    G'day Richard,

The thread linkage, though a tad tenuous, was just the police and their interactions with ol' Joe P.

The trouble was (and frequently is with me, I must admit), is that once started, I have a tendency to suffer from keyboard diarrhea

Besides, what's wrong with a thread hijacking when we're talking law and order?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Hi Alexs, I'm off to buy a new bandsaw today, big enough to rip through a railway sleeper.
    Good one John, I'll send some over for you.

What sort & size is the BS?
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Good one John, I'll send some over for you.

What sort & size is the BS?
    Hi Alexs.

Back from the shopping expo.

I was going to purchase a 12" depth of cut bandsaw but got cold feet when I found the fence measured 6" high, and the handwheels were so huge you needed two hands to rotate.

So I purchased the 10" depth cut bandsaw and THEN
    I bought a c.i. Record tablesaw with sliding carriage and a pull saw attachment in the gear. and also got some black walnut timber thrown in so I could try the machinery when it arrives.
    After that we looked in our local bookstore and got an instruction book on operating a table saw and two more books on making boxes. (book only cost $30 aus.total marked as damaged.

The wife did some spending as well
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"the wife did some spending as well" crickey was there any $$ left, she probably just had enough to buy an ice cream...

oh , let me know how you go cutting the railway sleepers , i was thinking of that myself a while age, 20mm ironbark blanks would make a nice table...
    Hurry, slowly

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Hi Alexs.

I bought a c.i. Record tablesaw with sliding carriage and a pull saw attachment in the gear.
    WHAT? :eek:

Surely you're not ditching the Triton? :eek: :eek:

Wow, John, I'd love to come & play with your toys. Janet must have loved the sewing drawers to let you have them.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    WHAT? :eek:

Surely you're not ditching the Triton? :eek: :eek:

No the Triton will be set for the 50mm cuts.

The Record c.i.will be set for the 90 mm cuts.

And the smaller bandsaw will be fitted with the 1/4" blade .

And the big bandsaw will have the 3/4" blade fitted.

Good life this retirement.

And then I'm going to find out if these 12 month interest free credit card
    transfers work
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Wow, John, I'd love to come & play with your toys. Janet must have loved the sewing drawers to let you have them.
    Trouble is she keeps looking at new sewing machines
    woody U.K.