Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  73
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

BobL. When you get the prioritizing scheme done please give me a copy
    I have the time, the machinery/shed, projects, and most of the gear to get a result. BUT inclination is in short supply. and that breeds frustration.
    Yes structure is what I am lacking. With the black dog even a small result has a lack luster result. Its probably got a coating of frustration stuck to it.
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Well it's been 9 weeks since I retired and I FINALLY got one of my jobs off the SWMBO list. The jobs was a simple one, purchase/make and fit two insect screen doors to the the two back doors. At the end of March I scored two decorative wooden doors from the kerbside pickup (complete with brass handles and hinges) that looked like they would really suit our older place. SInce then I have been phaphing about to get them to fit as they were 16 mm too narrow and 30 mm short - plus inserting a doggie door in one of them and replacing the insect screening material with strong ally Expanda mesh that the dogs can't damage. Anyway, I can't believe how long it has taken me to do this. Even when I was working I reckon this would not have taken me so long. Admittedly I have been distracted with a blacksmithing course, making a forge and going to Germany for a week. Also I sleep in most mornings, slow paced breakfast, walk the dogs, another coffee and check out the forums way too many times during the day - I'm lucky if I get to the shed by 10:30am. Most afternoons I'm having a short nap so I can't complain too much.

SWMBO is very happy and I'm happy she is happy. The price was very reasonable - basically the cost of the mesh and also put a decent door closer on the one that will get used most often.

Next job is kitchen reno - not a complete reno. We're just changing the oven and cooktop and fixing and repainting the cupboards, might replace the cupboard doors. Bench top will be sanded back to raw wood and two pack epoxy coated - not looking forward to that.

[QUOTE=BobL;1645084]SWMBO is very happy and I'm happy she is happy.

Happy wife...happy life......'on ya Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    ...... Anyway, I can't believe how long it has taken me to do this. Even when I was working I reckon this would not have taken me so long. Admittedly I have been distracted with a blacksmithing course, making a forge and going to Germany for a week. Also I sleep in most mornings, slow paced breakfast, walk the dogs, another coffee and check out the forums way too many times during the day - I'm lucky if I get to the shed by 10:30am. Most afternoons I'm having a short nap so I can't complain too much.

Not a problem - you are retired - enjoy it - you have worked long enough,now is the time to enjoy it.

Remember you now can work 3 days - yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Life is too short and there aint no dress rehearsal.

LOL.

Just a crude observation about Bob, from his posts. He's an achiever.

So can he find scope to continue that outside of his profession? Does he have the will? Are shed and house tasks going to meet that bill?

In his shoes, I'd give myself a year's sabbatical and then review.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    LOL.
    Just a crude observation about Bob, from his posts. He's an achiever.
    Depends who you ask. My mum thinks I'm a slack #### because I don't go round and fix her dripping taps the day after she asks, and that I should have had more grandkids and yadda, yadda. . . . . ., and SWMBO reckons I could move on "the list" a little quicker. After some initial frustration with lack of progress or achievement, I'm slowly learning that achievement is not everything. I'm really enjoying just hanging out with the dogs, they make me laugh which is what I really need, and getting into the swing of the the odd afternoon nap.

So can he find scope to continue that outside of his profession? Does he have the will? Are shed and house tasks going to meet that bill?
    I visited the place where I used to work 3 times since I left. The place has even less appeal to me than when I left and it's getting less appealing every time I visit.

In his shoes, I'd give myself a year's sabbatical and then review.
    That's the plan, but that's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post

I visited the place where I used to work 3 times since I left. The place has even less appeal to me than when I left and it's getting less appealing every time I visit.

Interesting, I found that as well - now I just don't give a rats ... about it
    the people are nice though
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Retirement is tricky. I'm on my second go round. Last time after 2 1/2 years I got into a rut and went back to work to get out of it. This time I'm trying to manage better.

Any day or any week where you actually achieve something should be regarded as a big win. Be proud. Those occasions won't come around nearly as often as you might imagine.

Remember to have days off, and proper holidays. Sounds mad but it truly helps.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Coming up to a year mate, hope it has been a good one and the list has got a little shorter.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Coming up to a year mate, hope it has been a good one and the list has got a little shorter.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks Mike.
    Things kind of stalled around August with a series of minor health issues that by and large kept me out of the shed. Thing are slowly resolving themselves and am looking forward to a better year in 2014.

Default At least

At least your getting the health issues sorted Bob,
    I put up with my herniated umbilicus for years before I was forced to get it fixed. (My then employer said it was scaring the clients).

I hope you get this leg issue sorted & squared away to give you a good run at 2014 Bob.

If you need help with the afternoon nap training - I am fully qualified to give advice, as i have perfected it to the point I can now sleep standing up of an afternoon if necessary.

Maybe we need to run a live in 1 week course in retirement skills.

Sleep late,
    good coffee,
    dog walking,
    forums posting
    followed by lunch
    - then some shed activities
    - afternoon tea & a nap,
    followed by dinner

next day repeat as above but add in -
    tools shopping 101
    & buying tools off the intranet,
    afternoon tea,
    scoping gumtree bargains,
    nap, dinner...

I think I have this whole retirement bidness pegged pretty much!.

Exclamation

A year Bob!! seems like yesterday and that is a bit worrying!!

Was listing our achievements since moving up here just over 18 months ago.

Removed old ( and new) dog smelly carpet and put in floating flooring
    Removed old kitchen benchtops. extended one bench and replaced tops.
    Renovated ensuite
    Renovated main bathroom.
    Built deck
    Put in roller door for carport
    Put timber slats around the house
    had some plumbing altered
    Re wired parts of house
    Had solar panels installed for electricity
    Removed about 6 tonnes of rubbish from the transpiration pit.
    Removed several trailer loads of old garbage from the yard.
    Mowed yard into shape - you know "turned grass into lawn with a Victa".
    Planted fruit trees and Brunfelsias.
    Lately had side gate installed and I now need to sort out the locking for this.
    I am in the process of planting up a long wanted tropical garden.
    * Mind you I had help with most of this.

The shed has been fairly much neglected but I did manage to;
    Install benches using the old kitchen benchtop for part thereof
    Put up racking and shelving using almost 100% recycled material.

Also cleared the jungle from around the pool and laid down white pebbles.

Next on the list is a screen (SWMBO job) for one end of the deck.
    SWMBO also wants the house painted!!!
    SWMBO has a chest of drawers on the to do list.

I have plans to build in a section under the house as a secure storage area or my mowers, blowe
    whipper snipper and other assorted bits. That will give me more shed room.
    I also need to fix an area under the deck/house for Ana to do her pottery.

I think my retirement is well sorted.!!

Amongst all this we had several trips to Brisbane and the Gold Coast, including time for
    my brain drain.

I'm pooped!!!

I've always been an early riser, but I've found that since I retired and don't have to, it's much easier.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Youth, fitness, good health, enthusiasm is definitely wasted on the young……..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Youth, fitness, good health, enthusiasm is definitely wasted on the young……..

Yes Bob I couldn't agree more!!!
    At last, we have TIME to do all those things that paid work precluded but.....its hard to move around- beginning of arthritis, hard to see fine work- failing eyesight, what you did yesterday affects what you try to do today- aching muscles and joints. And so it goes on
    One thing though....to see a doctor doesn't mean you have to take time off work but you have to wait a while to get in
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod