Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by robbo266317 View Post
    I don't think we need a picture of your whatsit - a ruler would give a better idea of the globes size....
    He might have 12 inches but he doesn't use it as a rule.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I hope someone may be able to help me with this problem. I have been asked to change the lightbulb at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it keeps moving. Just when I think I'm about to reach it, there is this big puff of steam and whoosh, the light goes out. Has anybody had experience with tunnel vision and/or night vision goggles. Would these help? I look forward to your response.

You may have been misled Ned.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a metaphor.

If you've been asked to change it to a low voltage unit, then this is a v. serious portent so consult your astrologer immediately.

If it's to be an efficient long-life bulb OTOH, that's great news!

And I'm not sure what an LED array means. Anyone?
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ned View Post
    I hope someone may be able to help me with this problem. I have been asked to change the lightbulb at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it keeps moving. Just when I think I'm about to reach it, there is this big puff of steam and whoosh, the light goes out. Has anybody had experience with tunnel vision and/or night vision goggles. Would these help? I look forward to your response.
    You will probably find that these are low voltage units of the incandescent type.
    They are a very inefficient source of light and should be replaced with halogen bulbs.
    However this leads to another problem in that most halogen bulbs don't fit the socket that incandescent bulbs use.
    Best you just leave it alone.
    Beware that it is not attached to a steam engine that may come forward.

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    You may have been misled Ned.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a metaphor.

If you've been asked to change it to a low voltage unit, then this is a v. serious portent so consult your astrologer immediately.

If it's to be an efficient long-life bulb OTOH, that's great news!

And I'm not sure what an LED array means. Anyone?
    You can read about it here: Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or here: HowStuffWorks "How Light Emitting Diodes Work"

If you googled it, it you would get 3,680,000 hits.

I believe that the original posting was flawed, as it omitted:

1 PERSON TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, POSIBYL WITH TYPOS. MAYBE EVEN IN A SPECIALLY HIGHLIGHTED FONT.

1 (or more) person(s) to put on Grammar/Typing Official hat, and shred the post, pointing out said errors, and commenting that typing ineptitude probably implies mental deficiency

(optional)
    1 prsn 2 typ sumfin in SMS wich may hav bn UUfl R NTRSTNG trnsltd N2 nrml Inglsh.

2 folks to post links to eBay listings of light bulbs, and proclaim their lack of affiliation with said offering.

Disclaimer:
    any typos in this post are due to the tears of laughter streaming down my face. Bravo to all!!

Quote Originally Posted by petersemple View Post
    Read the FAQ, and then use Google. I am sure you could find all the answers you need yourself rather than getting us to do all your work for you.
    Thanks very much for the pointers. I read the FAQ and then the QAF, as well as the googly stuff, but none of it could tell me watt Filler meant. In fact, there wasn't much info about Filler at all, so I asked my mum, who said she keeps her bulbs in the freezer for 8 weeks just before spring. I thought she was doing it to get frosted bulbs, but she reckons it's just to make them sprout faster. I don't think that's such a bright idea.........

Some folks soak them in a mixture of dishwashing detergent for a few months.

Supposed to make them easier to turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by petersemple View Post
    Can someone tell me the best time to plant irises?
    What type?? If it is a bearded iris then it has nothing to do with bulbs as they are a rhizome. So shouldn't be in this thread.

If standard irises though plant them in April so they will flower in spring.
    "Rotten to the Core"

If you plan to grow iris bulbs some care should be taken to improve soil conditions first. It is best to use a slow release fertilizer to improve the nutrient value of the soil. Use compost, well rotted manure or peat moss to improve the organic state of the soil. Make sure that the fertilizer and organic matter is worked into the upper 100mm to 150mm (four to six inches) of soil. Crested irises grow best in wooded areas that have good drainage and partial shade.

(extract from Iris Bulbs by Special Organic Soils)
    Silence is golden and Duct tape is silver...

Keep it on topic Kiddies or next we will be talking about the bulbs on Hydrometers.

But how do you wire them up?
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by robbo266317 View Post
    If you plan to grow iris bulbs some care should be taken to improve soil conditions first. It is best to use a slow release fertilizer to improve the nutrient value of the soil. Use compost, well rotted manure or peat moss to improve the organic state of the soil. Make sure that the fertilizer and organic matter is worked into the upper 100mm to 150mm (four to six inches) of soil. Crested irises grow best in wooded areas that have good drainage and partial shade.

(extract from Iris Bulbs by Special Organic Soils)
    There is some really good manure being produced in this thread, but it lacks substance I think. Not having any effect on my bulbs at all. Should I have planted them on a full moon? Or is waxing better?

anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    But how do you wire them up?
    Don't know. Get a sparky to do it.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Or is waxing better?

Not according to this ad

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFSgXpyhoM"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by arose62 View Post
    Not according to this ad
    that was really nice and those girls had lovely voices.
    ( I had no idea what they were singing about )
    anyways, anyone know where would I get one of those gorgeous pink mowers

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?