Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Pete,
    The motor is a 2-speed 2.5/1.5 HP machine with 6 leads.
    This type of motor runs high speed as two Y in parallel (2 coils in parallel for each leg), and low speed as a delta with 2 coils in series for each leg.

My motor re-winder advised that the only option was two deltas in parallel, that this was not recommended, and that the coil ends were buried so deep that it would be unwise to try and get at them.

As the price of total rewind plus Chinese converter was less than the (unknown) UK voltage doubling converter, we elected to go that way.

John.

Hmmm, interesting John. I wonder why he suggested not running the high speed as delta in parallel when they run in Y parallel just fine? Anyway, I'm sure there's a good reason for it as these guys are doing this type of thing every day, just curious. Did they say why?

Default Finally heard from Drives Direct, now the fun begins

Finally, finally, within hours of auction ending, I received an email from Drives Direct in the UK.

They had listed a 240V 1-phase to 415V 3-phase VFD, and I wanted to clarify that the 17.5% VAT was not payable in Australia.

Their email stated that 17.5% VAT would be deducted from the final winning bid. They also stated that 40 pounds would cover the postage. 40 quid, you're joking, that's $60.

Other items they have listed quote $38 AUD for similar 1HP VFD's. Sent back another email to clarify this, no answer.

$40 or $60 was not going to kill me, so I whacked in a bid, and won being the only bidder.

Comes time to PAY NOW, and their invoice still shows the full whack including the 17.5% VAT, and postage at 40 pounds.

Now the fun begins, and am waiting for a reply to a fairly terse email I sent them.

I made the decision to go for this particular VFD as I could not get any definative answers on reworking the armature. Some members think it is possible to extract a star point, some members think not.

If this Drives Direct VFD ever turns up, I can at least use it on my Arboga EM825 mill/drill without modification.

Will keep you posted.