Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'd be mightily suprised if ony of those jig gizmos could even approach the speed and ease of cutting of my panel saw. I can cut an average kitchen of about 200 individual pieces (say about 20 full size 2400 x 1200 sheets) in about half a day. Accurate to a fraction of a mm with chip free cuts top and bottom. All that for less than $3K (but you need at least 40M2 for the saw )

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Better get your video camera ready, Mick

Mick, I bet you I can do better with a handsaw and a jig.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

I bet I can do better with my teeth and a stubbie.
    Boring signature time again!

A good set of Steak Knives and a plastic ruler

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    I'd be mightily suprised if ony of those jig gizmos could even approach the speed and ease of cutting of my panel saw. I can cut an average kitchen of about 200 individual pieces (say about 20 full size 2400 x 1200 sheets) in about half a day. Accurate to a fraction of a mm with chip free cuts top and bottom. All that for less than $3K (but you need at least 40M2 for the saw )

Mick
    Mick, having said that, how long would it take and how easy would it be for you to rip and cross cut a 3000 x 1200 x 38 solid timber table top on your panel saw by your self.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post

Mick
    You eliteist you. A panel saw to cut boards. Its a different world with one of those saws. My problem is that I have used a beam saw. Now there is some speed and accuracy. My first 'panel saw' consisted of 60 x 25mm aluminium and a 185mm circular saw with fine blade. That system works well, but is really slow unless you have dedicated setup ( I think Midge has a good foldup table for this type of thing).

I use my panel saw for more that just cutting board though. With a 7.5Hp main motor it rips through solid timber with ease. I recently jointed a 400mm x 65mm laminated board I used for one of my workbenches. Too easy and this thing weighed a tonne.

Lig, I think the panel saw would handle it quite easily once clamped to the slider. Getting it on the slider is the trick. That said, you still have to get the table top on your cutting table. I'm not sure its sensible to lift that sort of weight on your own in any event.

Back to the original theme of the thread. My first saw of choice was the TS. The BS is something that I now couldn't imagine being without. That would mean, I'm with you Alex. If I had to choose between the two then it would be the TS.

Mick & Bob standing next to Mick's panel saw, it goes around behind Bob & out of the picture.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/attach...chmentid=31463
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

But where is the bandsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Mick, having said that, how long would it take and how easy would it be for you to rip and cross cut a 3000 x 1200 x 38 solid timber table top on your panel saw by your self.
    I guess the first question to that is 'How often will I need to do that? When I squared and trimmed my 90mmx500mm benchtop I used a flush bit from both sides, and finished with a very sharp #7C to smooth the end grain and remove the router marks. Worked a treat.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

I've just seen this thread, and have to agree wholeheartedly.

I love my Hammer B/S, but just couldn't see myself without a reasonable (Jet Supersaw with sliding table) T/S

Quote Originally Posted by TassieKiwi View Post
    I guess the first question to that is 'How often will I need to do that?
    As often as the majority of Forumites who will need to cut 20 mdf sheets for a kitchen

Lignum,
    If I decided that I wanted to cut the tabletop on my slider I'd grab a hand to lift it on and I'd have no trouble cutting it. If there wasn't anyone around to give me a hand I'd grab my jig and have at it with a circular saw .

Wongo,
    the bandsaw is just out of the picture on the right hand side. Hardly ever gets used though, the panelsaw will cut about 130mm deep with the rip blade in and has about 6hp so ripping or resawing solid timber is a doddle. Also exellent as a jointer, will joint up to 3.2M long and 130mm wide.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I cut tabletops on a bandsaw too. My bandsaw can rip wide boards like your panel saw. It cuts dados, it drills holes, ...

All you need is a clever jig.

You blokes might be in need of a jig-a-jig.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!