Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by outback
    You cat lover you.
    Hey not all cat lovers are bad. They are just a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    Rocker, I was talking to my sister about the 10-pound fares last night. It seems that they had to surrender their passports on arrival to meet the requirements. She recently tried to go to school again and found she needed to be an Australian citizen or pay full fees, for which she needs her passport.
    Immigration said 'lost ages ago' and now she is an "illegal" in no-man's-land. They have now given her three lifetimes worth of paper to fill out.

Gotta luv the buraucracy.
    Groggy,

I think your sister was a bit remiss in not reclaiming her passport after the two years during which the poms had to whinge in Oz before they could go home, if they didn't like the place. She is now suffering the revenge of the clerks for not becoming an Aussie as soon as she became eligible to apply for citizenship. She should not have too much difficulty in obtaining another British passport, I would think.

Rocker

Been away for a month and come back to this post. Haven't read it all yet will do so later but need to clear up something first.

Bodgies and widgies never fought each other, a widgie was a female bodgie. Some of them had a bit of a beef with beetnicks, and jazzers many had a beef with the police, so much so that the Victorian police formed the bodgie squad to try and prevail over the gangs of bodgie & widgies who ran riot in the 50's and early 60's.

Want to see a bodgie get a copy of Marlon Brando's "The Wild One" or watch Grease. Some of the bodgies became rockers and went to war with mods, jazzers, sharpies, and often other gangs of rockers. Some became Sharpies and went to war with rockers, mods and jazzers etc. Almost all at some time had a beef with the surfies. Lots drifted off into bikie gangs Hells Angels, etc etc. Many bodgies and widgies are the retiring community and business leaders of today.

Mostly there was no racial justification for fights, usually it was teritorial but was often as simple as someone being looked at sideways, sometimes inflamed by booze (Dutch courage). Always there was verbal abuse (name calling) mostly it wasn't racist it was just a verbal way of trying to hurt someone.

Nothing seems to have changed, this lot in Sydney, from what I have seen, is a territorial thing between gangs. The only major difference is the press and the way it's being portrayed in the media. They say it is so terribly un Australian. Rubbish it's just a good old Aussie pub brawl. I have seen bigger and better in the 60's in Melborne and at Lorne. Can recall all the furniture and the rest of the contents of the Lorne Hotel beer garden being bumped onto a few police cars while 3 - 4,000 rockers and surfies brawled in and around the pub. Later they all sat down and drank the place dry.

Still I have to admit, I'm glad that me and mine are well away from it all.

Cheers - Neil
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!
    Register to get rid of the annoying ads, plus you are able to participate, see all the posts, photos, pdf's, and more.

Although my "idiot post" may have been over the top and tongue in cheek,read Silent C's post#70 and you may see similiarities as to what I'm on about.If i have offended some,i appologise,..........Al
    If your not confused you dont know whats going on!

Heh heh, Neil is really showing his heritage now. Sounds like he was a bodgy, and progressed through sharpiness to attain enlightenment as a mod, he has now settled down as a rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    Hey not all cat lovers are bad. They are just a bit odd.

Your missus looking over your shoulder then?
    Boring signature time again!

How can he say the fights weren't racially based when by his own admission they needed "Dutch" courage???

Cheers,

P

I am surrounded by cat lovers. 3 in my own house and 2 next door.

Sigh! Talk about racial differences.

Too many cats to hate but only 1 Wongo.

Quote Originally Posted by 46150
    Although my "idiot post" may have been over the top and tongue in cheek,read Silent C's post#70 and you may see similiarities as to what I'm on about.If i have offended some,i appologise,..........Al
    If you can cop the "idiot" tag in good humour, there's probably no need for an apology!

P (that's tongue in cheek too! )

Apparently it's a sign of a disaffected youth. Do a search on that and the first few hits are on UK sites, so it's all their fault - they obviously invented the term.

According to the dictionary, it means "discontented as toward authority". Sounds like all kids to me, in particular mine. So I have two disaffected youths in my house. I think I need extra riot powers, like those just given to the NSW police, to combat dissent in my house. Zero tolerance tonight, kiddies. Bedtime is 7:30 PM - as soon as the Prime Possum says so.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Groggy,

I think your sister was a bit remiss in not reclaiming her passport after the two years during which the poms had to whinge in Oz before they could go home, if they didn't like the place...
    Perhaps you're right. But to be fair, after the two years expired she was only 2 1/2, and she hasn't had a need for a passport since then. She'll get over it.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Bedtime is 7:30 PM - as soon as the Prime Possum says so.
    Is that still around, I thought we trapped it relocated it years ago
    It would be good to humiliate the thugs with it though.
    I saw the powers allocated to police today, about bloody time, watching these thugs stand there and taunt and abuse police and anyone else they deem fit.
    Going to be a few hotrods for sale soon I think.
    Might even get to offload some o0f my old BMX's to them on Ebay
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Been away for a month and come back to this post. Haven't read it all yet will do so later but need to clear up something first.

Bodgies and widgies never fought each other, a widgie was a female bodgie. Some of them had a bit of a beef with beetnicks, and jazzers many had a beef with the police, so much so that the Victorian police formed the bodgie squad to try and prevail over the gangs of bodgie & widgies who ran riot in the 50's and early 60's.

Want to see a bodgie get a copy of Marlon Brando's "The Wild One" or watch Grease. Some of the bodgies became rockers and went to war with mods, jazzers, sharpies, and often other gangs of rockers. Some became Sharpies and went to war with rockers, mods and jazzers etc. Almost all at some time had a beef with the surfies. Lots drifted off into bikie gangs Hells Angels, etc etc. Many bodgies and widgies are the retiring community and business leaders of today.

Mostly there was no racial justification for fights, usually it was teritorial but was often as simple as someone being looked at sideways, sometimes inflamed by booze (Dutch courage). Always there was verbal abuse (name calling) mostly it wasn't racist it was just a verbal way of trying to hurt someone.

Nothing seems to have changed, this lot in Sydney, from what I have seen, is a territorial thing between gangs. The only major difference is the press and the way it's being portrayed in the media. They say it is so terribly un Australian. Rubbish it's just a good old Aussie pub brawl. I have seen bigger and better in the 60's in Melborne and at Lorne. Can recall all the furniture and the rest of the contents of the Lorne Hotel beer garden being bumped onto a few police cars while 3 - 4,000 rockers and surfies brawled in and around the pub. Later they all sat down and drank the place dry.

Still I have to admit, I'm glad that me and mine are well away from it all.

Cheers - Neil

It's strange that brawls and riots are called 'unaustralian' when we have such a long history of it.

WW2 saw some pretty vicious clashes between the yanks and aussie soldiers in brisbane.

Various strikes have occurred in Australia which had violent acts occurring in them (wharfies strike in Cairns was broken up with a large brawl in the 20's)

Another little incident called the Eureka stockade...

Miners riots back in the 19th century against the influx of asians, very nasty stuff with many serious bashings and a few deaths.

Rum rebellion riots even earlier than that.

Seems like it's an Aussie tradition to me.

For some information and an overall perspective on violence in Australia have a look at this site:

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/vt/vt9-text.html

Default NSW Racial Tension

Its really a law & order problem

Used to have mobs from Collingwood arriving on the buses and attacking St Kilda bodgies yonks ago - gee must be getting old

Also the Westy troglodytes and the Northern Beaches surf bums quite enjoyed the odd stoush 20 - 30 years ago

Its a territory thing that the white supremists and other racist groups have hijacked and escalated

Easy for them when our cops are allowed to keep turning a blind eye

We badly need New York style zero tolerance policing to stop these guys in their tracks before they get traction and develop this kind of momentum

Happy Days!

Easy for them when our cops are allowed to keep turning a blind eye
    allowed or forced?
    Boring signature time again!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry F

Happy Days!
    Yeah! Happy Days! Was the Fonz a rocker or a greaser?
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover