Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

What influences my vote?
    A government that doesn't give hand-outs to those in the community that don't want to, or wont work. A government that can make provisions for us to be able to use water like we use to and come up with a better solution to the water shortage than "install a water tank"
    A government that looks to the future and not continuously blames previous governments for their own failings in governing the country. Today is today, lets solve the problems we have now and try to build a better country for the future not worry about where the past governments went wrong. It is so easy to be prudent in hindsight.
    A government that gives us the incentive to work hard so we can all share in the benefits of this prosperous country.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    What influences my vote?
    A government that doesn't give hand-outs to those in the community that don't want to, or wont work.
    I agree John so lets stop paying government employees this would help the economy heaps.

Nothing influences my vote but the counters of the votes who can't count helps.

What influences my vote?

A good balance between environmental and economic policies - not to mention ALL policies. It appears that most parties have one agenda - be it workers, businesses, families or environment. What's wrong with balanced politics?

Whilst I like the economic management by Howard & Costello, they barely have any environmental policy and this really needs to come into play whilst we have such a strong economy. I'm a climate change skeptic, but I don't like pollution and something needs to be done ASAP.

A government that, rather than give handouts to farmers, gave them incentives to steer their business in an alternative direction, would gain huge credibility in my opinion. 99% of Australian land is not suitable for farming, and never has been, thus those currently farming much of this land should be encouraged to partake in a diversity of sustainable ventures, with some government assistance, for example. Renewable energy, carbon trading schemes (ie. Tree planting), not to mention more sustainable crops such as perhaps bamboo or hemp, and I'm sure there are many others. Further to this, export of our produce is at disgusting levels, given the state of our overfarmed, overused land. This really needs to be capped - live export in particular. Once again, I'm not saying that farmers should be asked to fork out for all of this, and educate themselves. I'm saying that the government should stop giving them handouts and rather invest in the long term viability of 'working the land' in this barren country.

Further to this, I am of the opinion that families get screwed quite a bit. Daycare, for what it is, is ludicrously expensive and state education is a joke. Once we are adults, it seems fair to be able to choose whether we have private or public healthcare, education etc. as we choose where our money goes, but it seems stupidly unfair to me, that some children receive an advantage over others, because their parents can afford to send them to private school (it should be noted that our children will go to private school - what I'm saying is that it's not fair for the other chilren).

I also think that a good idea for the government is to set an example. It irritates me no end that MP's drive around in 6 - sometimes even 8 cylinder cars. They should be driving small(er) cars and definitely not fuel guzzling 6 or 8 cylinder beasts.

I guess the environment is a major influence for me, but overall, I like a good balance.

Lotte

Daycare, for what it is, is ludicrously expensive
    Both our kids are in school now but at one stage they were both in day care twice a week. We found that as middle income earners it was reasonable and quite well subsidised. The more you earn, the more it costs. My sister, being a low income earner, was paying substantially less at the same place.

it seems stupidly unfair to me, that some children receive an advantage over others, because their parents can afford to send them to private school
    Some people would say that if there were no advantages, it would be pointless being rich.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

There was about a half-hour special on the Australian elections on NPR last week. In particular the influence of environmental issues was of interest.

Perhaps we will pull our heads out of our butts as well, though I wouldn't count on it. We go through fresh water like there is no tomorrow.

And +1 on the education. Its easier for smart people to make money - who would have thunk it? Then tax those rich private school bastages to pay for better public schools. Trust me, I understand. The tax collector has gripped me by the huevos so tight my eyes are watering. I pay $6k a year just for the school system and I don't even have kids!! Money well spent though, we have a good public school system in my area. My theory is educated snot-nosed punks are less likely to rob me at gunpoint.

At least you have issues, over hear its about the senator who got caught playing footsie with a police officer in the bathroom stall. Someone explain to me why the deviants always become politicians. What is the common trait?

What the heck is a dole buldger?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG. View Post
    What the heck is a dole buldger?
    Over here if you are unemployed there is government assistance of money , cheep housing and other assistance until you can find work so you don't starve , its commonly called " The Dole" from I believe it being doled out to you each fortnight or so
    Now a dole bludger is someone who gets all he/she can in the form of assistance and lives on it for as long as they can without trying to find employment , or someone who is happy to accept the government assistance and work on the side for cash and not declair it , we seem to have a large number of young and not so young who move to the costal arears where the surfing is good and the jobs scarce , these people are usually referred to as " Dole Bludgers" that is they accept the dole but are too lazy to work.
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    I agree John so lets stop paying government employees this would help the economy heaps.
    I like that Wheelin
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

OK now stick with me for a few moments. Health and Education are state responsibilities so the Federal Government is greatly limited in the outcomes it can achieve.

Income tax discourages people earning. Surely we want people to be encouraged to earn more thereby increasing the national wealth. If the national wealth is larger then we would have more money for schools and hospitals.

Schools and hospitals are a real problem as by and large they are monopolies controlled by state governments. If they were to bring in public exams for every school year and to allow the school principal (actually would be better if there were an administrator to manage the school and a principal to manage teaching) to run the school as in hiring and firing teachers staff there would be a better outcome. A curiculum would be really good too. So much seems to be made up by what the individual teacher wants to teach. To much art and not enough reading writing and arithmitic to my mind. However this is not something that the Federal Government has the power over.

Health likewise. Ever sat in an Emergency ward for 4 or 5 hours and then finally see a doctor who is concerned about "your whole health". Damn lady I have put my fingers through a Table Saw I wanted rapid consultation and I'll worry about the unhealthy things I do like drink more than one beer a day tomorrow! I have and were the system be subjected to market forces rather than cosy deals between the union and the minister it would be much much better.

Again this is not a Fedaral issue unless they remove powers from the states, and considering the mess the states have made over water and the Commonwealth inability to make much headway on that you can imagine if they got in and tried to fix Health Education and Transport. We are still all on different gauge rail can you believe that?

Income tax cuts are great as the individual is much more capable of making a good decision about what to do with the money than any politician or bureacrat. Suppose people pay down their mortgages with the tax cut. Suddenly it forces interest rates down rather than up. Those who say it must increase rates are making assumptions.

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Both our kids are in school now but at one stage they were both in day care twice a week. We found that as middle income earners it was reasonable and quite well subsidised. The more you earn, the more it costs. My sister, being a low income earner, was paying substantially less at the same place.
    Lucky you.... My wife had to turn down a promotion as it wasnt worth it. it would have involved more days at work, so more day of the kids in childcare. The pay diffence didnt cover the extra childcare. in fact my wife works as a theatre nurse three days a week for about $50 a week after childcare. She has to keep working or she looses her registration and will have to do a uni course to return to work. so we are in a no win situation were she works for basically nothing They wonder why there is a shortage of nurses. It aint rocket science, about 90% of nurses are women, women traditionally look after the kids, so who usually gives up their job if it becomes uneconomical...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436 View Post
    Income tax cuts are great as the individual is much more capable of making a good decision about what to do with the money than any politician or bureacrat. Suppose people pay down their mortgages with the tax cut. Suddenly it forces interest rates down rather than up. Those who say it must increase rates are making assumptions.

Studley
    The problem is they wont.... It will be spent on a new plasma or the such in most cases...

So Hospitals and schools are a state issue. Well fix it, federalise it. what are we one country or or 6 ? While we are at it federalise the police and road laws.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

yeah Gra I hear you and you might be right but we just don't know. Plenty of people realise that if they can get some extra into their mortgage it will pay off big time down the track. Not all do it is true but I would still say it is better to just leave people with their own money rather than run it through government and back to people from there.

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

My view is that Australia has always been a nation that vacillates between our attenuated version of the left and the right. It's a pretty clever system and indicates that the average Australian intuitively knows a lot more about politics than most politicians realise.

I always vote Labor or for the Greens (with preferences going to Labor), so I'm not really going to be influenced by this election campaign.

But if I were to be influenced, what I hate is the game of politics that pollies play. ALL of them. For instance, as I've watched John Howard over the past six months my estimation of him has dropped a bit. He should, in my opinion, have taken on a more statesman like role (a Malcolm Fraser type of persona) rather than showing himself to be a pure political animal.

He and Costello have done a good job (I hate to admit) with the economy, and we can all feel that. But we have Johnny metaphorically racing around like a boxer trying to smash Kevin Rudd's face instead of maintaining his dignity as a very successful prime minister. I for one am disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    its commonly called " The Dole" from I believe it being doled out to you each fortnight or so
    Actually, just to be finnicky

Dole comes from DOL - the Department of Labor - which is a US Department, similar I guess to what our old DSS used to be...

Carry on
    Semtex fixes all

The pay diffence didnt cover the extra childcare
    Yes, if the missus had taken on a full time job, our combined income would have increased to the point where we'd be getting virtually no assistance from the goverment for child care and it would not be worthwhile.

Those who say it must increase rates are making assumptions.
    I'd say they are making educated guesses. I heard another guy say it on the 7.30 report tonight. Since the last election we've had three tax cuts and four interest rate rises. May not be cause and effect but if not, it's a symptom of the same disease.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    I'd say they are making educated guesses. I heard another guy say it on the 7.30 report tonight. Since the last election we've had three tax cuts and four interest rate rises. May not be cause and effect but if not, it's a symptom of the same disease.
    The reason the Reserve raises rates is to slow consumption/spending/borrowing. They do this to keep inflation within the target range. So the more the government gives back to us, the more the Reserve wants us not to spend it.

It is interesting that so many people see high interest rates ONLY as only a bad thing...
    Semtex fixes all