Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    47.945% of posts in this thread have been off topic.

Thats a massive 1 in every 2.0857 posts !
    Did you know that 83.56% of all statistics quoted are made up on the spot?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post

Richard

Thats about 50% correct
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post

Richard
    But I counted. If anyone ever asks 'But Whos counting?', Tell 'em I am

Of course I'll have to go back now and review my calcs as we've had four more posts on thread.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    Mick, You've got way too much time on your hands..

HH.

Well, I am a consultant
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Well, I am a consultant
    That explains it, how much is this totally necessary analysis costing us?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

$650 per character typed.
    Mick

avantguardian

Originally Posted by dazzler
    Hi all

I think my points been made.

Thanks for the support

cheers

dazzler

Attached Thumbnails

I imagined there would have been something phalic in there.

I can't believe half of what I've read in this thread. weak- the both of you.
    Could have quite easily been contained to PM's flying backwards and forward, but it had to be a public spectacle in a completely unrelated thread. Bad form, gentleman.

Dammit.. now I can't even remember what the thread was originally about...

-----
    Some moments later
    --------------------

Now that I've gone back and read the first post...

Statistics are generally only good for proving how much money can be wasted on boffins cooking them up. There's just no way they can take in the diversity of reasons in an entire neighbourhood, let alone the whole damn country. Right on, SilentC, I say.
    'What the mind of man can conceive, the hand of a toolmaker can achieve.'
    Owning a GPX250 and wanting a ZX10 is the single worst experience possible. -Aside from riding a BMW, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    Why do people buy a newer car or a second car while struggling to pay off the mortgage is beyond me. Why?
    Because we live in a free market economy and people are free to do as they choose.

If I was building a house, there is no way I would build anything smaller than 4 bedroom. My reasoning is quite simple - it will be easier to sell than a 3 bedroom, and wont cost all that much more. And downgrading later, wont hurt as much as trying to upgrade

Not that I would build a house. Just bought this 4 bedroom 30 year old home - tons of space. We've done our time living in cheap 2 bedroom units, thank you very much.

I don't really understand why young people (like 21-25) want to rush out and buy a home. Invariably they buy something small and not terribly exciting, only to want to upgrade later on. There is an insane need amongst some people to be part of the property market. Much better off renting until you know what you want and can afford it. Even then I think home ownership is highly over-rated.
    Semtex fixes all

Quote Originally Posted by q9 View Post
    .... Even then I think home ownership is highly over-rated.
    Ah yes, the tyranny of possession...where your possessions own you.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Article99 View Post
    I can't believe half of what I've read in this thread. weak- the both of you.
    Could have quite easily been contained to PM's flying backwards and forward, but it had to be a public spectacle in a completely unrelated thread. Bad form, gentleman.
    Hi mate

The fact is I was called a racist by a member in a public forum and have asked him to show the evidence in a public forum. If your gunna say something as filthy as that then you better prove it. Sadly the member would not respond in the thread it was posted in. If you said something like this in the pub you would cop a smack in the mouth.

Sorry if this upsets you.

BTW - I thought it was frowned upon to send nasty PM's to each other by the mods. May be wrong.

cheers

Because we live in a free market economy and people are free to do as they choose.

If I was building a house, there is no way I would build anything smaller than 4 bedroom. My reasoning is quite simple - it will be easier to sell than a 3 bedroom, and wont cost all that much more. And downgrading later, wont hurt as much as trying to upgrade

Not that I would build a house. Just bought this 4 bedroom 30 year old home - tons of space. We've done our time living in cheap 2 bedroom units, thank you very much.

I don't really understand why young people (like 21-25) want to rush out and buy a home. Invariably they buy something small and not terribly exciting, only to want to upgrade later on. There is an insane need amongst some people to be part of the property market. Much better off renting until you know what you want and can afford it. Even then I think home ownership is highly over-rated.
    However homes double in value about every seven years. It can be an expensive wait.

Invariably they buy something small and not terribly exciting, only to want to upgrade later on. There is an insane need amongst some people to be part of the property market. Much better off renting until you know what you want and can afford it. Even then I think home ownership is highly over-rated.
    Sounds like one of my tenants!

I've had people with that sort of view contribute substantially to my well-being, so I think I should just be thankful, agree and get on with life!

HOWEVER.

There is an insane equation amongst some people to think that small can't be exciting or that big is better. That's the problem. Instead of accepting small and comfortable, they want to live like Paris Hilton.

Believe it or not, we paid $10,000 for our first house. Took out a 25 year loan too, and didn't think we'd ever see the day when we'd own it. We sold it after two years for $17,000. The profit was equivalent to about our combined year's salary at the time.

I've seen all the sums, and the only people who actually believe that they are better off renting, have convinced themselves that buying houses is only for intellectual inferiors, or they have a vested interest in flogging investment products.

Let's just for a minute pretend that over 25 years, houses increase in value at the same rate of inflation. Let's also pretend, to be fair, that rent does so as well.

Interest rates on the other hand fluctuate, but let's just say they average twice the inflation rate. In very crude terms given the above set of numbers, one could work out a discounted comparison between renting and buying. Without doing the sums, I'm willing to bet that at about the ten year mark, repayments and rent will be the same, and for the last fifteen years, repayments will be less, and after 25, well you guessed it, Mr Renter is still there, while Mr Home Owner is in the south of France having a holiday, or driving round Australia for a year or two, with tenants in his house paying for it all.

Of course there are strategies which will improve that situation remarkably, and in the event that house prices increase by say twice the rate of inflation, and rent increases at the same rate, well Mr Renter is in a spot of bother after that ten year mark. He's actually spending all the money Mr Investment advisor told him to buy investment product with, on rent.

Or am I wrong?

P

We're currently paying around 30% less to buy my home than we would have to pay if we were renting it.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    Sounds like one of my tenants!

I can only dream of the day when I become a slum landlord.