Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    There may have been, but I bet there was never an agnostic terrorist...

Timothy McVeigh apparently...... damn another theory bites the dust

What, is no-one gong to argue? Come on!! Hiroshima was a terroist act: discuss.

"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Well there is arguments for and against that definition, I believe the difference was it was a declared war, most terrorist organizations are not "officially" at war with the other side.. But it is a minor difference... I could be wrong there though (Usually are)
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    In a recorded interview with Time Magazine he professed his belief in "a God", though he said he had "sort of lost touch with" Catholicism and "never really picked it [back] up." The Guardian reported that McVeigh wrote a letter claiming to be an agnostic, though his execution included a Roman Catholic ceremony.
    See - he became an agnostic, but I bet he wasn't one when he blew that building up
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Yeah he was a southern Christian redneck wasn't he
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Gra View Post
    it isn't funny .... I don't remember any communist terrorists,
    Pol Pot.... infact I would have to say that most Communist insurgents/freedom fighters/liberationalist would all have a pretty bad track record.

Mate they wrote the book.

Pol Pot.... infact I would have to say that most Communist insurgents/freedom fighters/liberationalist would all have a pretty bad track record.

Mate they wrote the book.
    I thought he was the government not a terrorist?

My Other Toys

That is a special type of terrorism known as State terrorism.

If the bombing of Hiroshima etc was a "terrorist act" I guess you would class the murder,rape, decapitation,vivisection,medical experimentation and other assorted niceties committed by the Japanese against Chinese civilians as acts of kindness.

See - he became an agnostic, but I bet he wasn't one when he blew that building up

Mate I could let the Hiroshima remark get by, but I'm afraid you're clutching at straws this time Those Catholic priests are like flies around a camp stew come execution time...doesn't mean diddly.

so back to my first comment on this thread... valid? Discuss!
    Zed

Quote Originally Posted by pedro the swift View Post
    If the bombing of Hiroshima etc was a "terrorist act" I guess you would class the murder,rape, decapitation,vivisection,medical experimentation and other assorted niceties committed by the Japanese against Chinese civilians as acts of kindness.
    Why? What an odd thing to say.

Here is the definition of a terrorist act in summary:

1. It involves violence
    2. It is intended to have a Psychological impact
    3. It is perpetrated for a political goal
    4. It deliberately targets non-combatants

There is a 5th which is added in legislation to differentiate between what they are trying to target, and acts of war like bombing of civilian areas: the act is unlawful or not carried out by a legitimate government.

However, the term originates from the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution and the perpetrators were very much legitimate government agents.

Some people believe the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were war crimes. I'm not arguing that, but acts of terror, most definitely by strict definition. Not making any comment on whether or not they were warranted. I kind of think that blowing up hundreds of thousands of ordinary people is a bad thing and to be avoided. I know that the chief argument is that it brought the war to an early end, and therefore probably saved lives. Tough one.

But this is not my point. I am just trying to point out that terrorism has nothing to do with religion and has been used as a serious political strategy in the past.

Mate I could let the Hiroshima remark get by, but I'm afraid you're clutching at straws this time Those Catholic priests are like flies around a camp stew come execution time...doesn't mean diddly.
    I'm talking about his 'professed belief in "a God"'. You can't be agnostic and have one of those.

I gong to argue!

Hiroshima was a city in Japan. It still is according to my atlas, albeit apparently completely re-built after an act of terrorism mid last century.

How do those Airforce planes get through airport security anway??

Cheers,

P

And BM passes his Ethics in warfare exam on a technicality...