Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Looks great midge! is that downdraft table half lapped at every joint? Pretty meticulous work if it is. did you use a dado blade and cross cut jig? well done. thanks for the updates.
    -Ryan

there's no school like the old school.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanarcher
    is that downdraft table half lapped at every joint? Pretty meticulous work if it is. did you use a dado blade and cross cut jig?
    Yes!
    No, it's actually rough as bags because I was going to do it as a prototype, the photo lies!...maybe one day I'll fix it up!!!
    Yep, dado blade and very crude jig.

The interesting thing about half-lapped grates is that they can be planed flat with a bit of care. This one was showing some signs of hanging out in a pile of other stuff for a few years, but cleaned up ok. Pity about the timber!

Cheers,

P

Default Yeah right :)

Nice downdraft table Midge. What are you powering it with? Part of the dust extractor system or something more self contained?

And do you really expect us to believe that woodwork is down there...I mean its way too clean and orderly :eek:
    Its better to burn out than to fade away......

Heres Midge checking all is aok, before firing up his dust extraction thing..

This is the pre intake...

Side view.

Al :eek:

I'll stuff him right up!!!

We'll see how efficently Midge operates after 2 or 3 bottles of some fine Aussie red wine

Midge, ensure the wine glasses are clean!! I'm on me way
    Cheers

Major Panic

Midge,

That workshop looks almost as clean as Major's. Are you trying to make me feel guilty? It won't work; I have made two pieces of furniture over Easter in spite of my workshop being untidy, disorganiswd, and a general disgrace.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Finger Dicer
    What are you powering it with? Part of the dust extractor system or something more self contained?
    Actually it's even better than Al's solution, it's not powered at all... just very poor joinery at the bottom, hence the draft.....

Nah... Hopefully sometime tomorrow, the 6" PVC connection will happen and it is about two feet from the DC fan... this is one bit of gear I'm not too concerned aobut getting enough suck from!

As will be revealed in the next series of photos (tomorrow), the blank ply bit hides a plenum, and I have an old air conditioning ceiling register inverted below the table to try to get a more even suck... don't know if that bit works yet!

Oh Major... I've got the outside light on for you!

P

Oh Major... I've got the outside light on for you!

P
    Ermmm wont that attract erm....midges...:confused:

Nice touch the beer fridge too :P
    Its better to burn out than to fade away......

G'day.

I'm back from the bush & I only fell off the motor bike twice.

Midge, the idea of the milk bottles is a good one BUT.... they don't like UV & will sheyet them selves fairly quickly if they are exposed to it.
    The plastic goes all hard & brittle & crumbles.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

So the question I have... Where are ya going to store my lathe while I get myself sorted out

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    G'day.

I'm back from the bush & I only fell off the motor bike twice.

Midge, the idea of the milk bottles is a good one BUT.... they don't like UV & will sheyet them selves fairly quickly if they are exposed to it.
    The plastic goes all hard & brittle & crumbles.
    Not much UV in the plastic containers in a cupboard... but I take your point.

I have a few which have been hanging around for years and are OK, but I use a lot for mixing glue, cleaning bits in etc.... they tend to get grubby or broken before the UV can find 'em!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by MathewA
    So the question I have... Where are ya going to store my lathe while I get myself sorted out
    I reckon if I had a hand to finish the canoe it might just about fit at the end of the garage, and there's a 6" dust collection point ready to connect too.

Maybe I need a hand to finish the DC system???

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Hopefully sometime tomorrow, the 6" PVC connection will happen....snip
    As will be revealed in the next series of photos (tomorrow)...snip
    Why oh why do I make such rash promises???

Got entirely fed up with dust collection today after making a couple of blast gates that I decided were a tad on the skinny side. 6" gates probably need more than 8mm of meat in the 6mm MDF... will start again soon, but it was a worthwhile exercise!

Anyway, what's the point in finishing the ducting and pickups if the router table spits dust everywhere.

Spent the rest of the day mucking around with the router table instead!!

Cheers,
    P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    I reckon if I had a hand to finish the canoe it might just about fit at the end of the garage, and there's a 6" dust collection point ready to connect too.

Maybe I need a hand to finish the DC system???

P
    I reckon I could be talked into giving you a hand - you'll have to waite a few more months till I get there

Well it's been a month and I thought I'd sort of update activity (inspired by Iain), despite my complete lack of posting to this thread, I have actually been doing stuff:

• Lathe bench nearly complete;- just needs the top to be screwed on and extension bed fixed to the lathe, but to do that I need to clear the finishing bench of stuff and that's not going to happen soon!

• Penultimate Router table mods well underway: just need to build a new fence, and the dust extractor fittings;

• Started a new "poofy" drill press table, with dust extraction box, might get that finished in a week or two.

• Started on a gouge sharpening jig for the lathe tools; getting close to having that one cracked as well!
    • I'm starting to get the willies with not having the Dust Ducting connected I have to say, and am running out of things to start to avoid it any more.

• Oh, and the hand tool cupboard! Once I could fit everything in, work ceased on the racking for the planes.

All in all a very satisfying month. A month in which I really came close to finishing a few little projects, thought twice about that (I have a reputation to protect after all) then realised, it doesn't matter how many of them I finish, they are really just small components of the workshop, and I'll NEVER GET THAT FINISHED!!!

Cheers,

P