Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

The same thing, that made us oldies think we were immortal listening to tall tales and truths, bravado, what the older generation got away with. How they didn't get caught, dodge the man with the big sickle.
    We all do it trying to out do those who've come before.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    The same thing, that made us oldies think we were immortal listening to tall tales and truths, bravado, what the older generation got away with. How they didn't get caught, dodge the man with the big sickle.
    We all do it trying to out do those who've come before.
    Too right. only the survivors tell the tall stories.

47 year old and reversing or rolling back over the limit

If it was related. It just stupifies me beyond understanding how when you add up all the other related incidents of friends leaving cans of Bourbon & Cola at the crash scene and doing burnouts etc. in the immediate area to the mentality of some groups in society.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    If it was related. It just stupifies me beyond understanding how when you add up all the other related incidents of friends leaving cans of Bourbon & Cola at the crash scene and doing burnouts etc. in the immediate area to the mentality of some groups in society.
    Particularly the last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    It is very common with freshly erected "shrines" for want of a better term for various associates to leave similar "offerings" for the deceased. Very tacky in my opinion where it is suspected/established that alcohol was a contributing factor.

As for the driver who got picked up outside the funeral, there does not appear to have been any association with the funeral, just happened to occur outside the church, but for any hour of the day, that is a very high reading. At around midday, that cannot just be put down to one or two beers at lunch.

Ray, I have a mate who lives just up the road from the accident site and he is very worried about hitting someone there. He has had two near misses himself and knows of lots of others. The people going there are behaving like they have every right to park on the public thoroughfare illegally and saunter over to the site to have a beer. The traffic is a mess. It is one thing to allow the grieving to take place but this is likely to make the situation worse if other people are hit. Any idea why the authorities are allowing it to continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Ray, I have a mate who lives just up the road from the accident site and he is very worried about hitting someone there. He has had two near misses himself and knows of lots of others. The people going there are behaving like they have every right to park on the public thoroughfare illegally and saunter over to the site to have a beer. The traffic is a mess. It is one thing to allow the grieving to take place but this is likely to make the situation worse if other people are hit. Any idea why the authorities are allowing it to continue?
    It is always a delicate situation, every time we try to exercise some degree of control we are blasted for being insensitive, callous and uncaring. No matter how much we explain that we are not interfering with a persons right to be in a public place or to grieve, it often ends up just making the situation worse.

A softly softly approach is often taken which brings about a better result sooner. After a few days, you may well find that the local van will stop and have a chat to those gathered and try having a quiet chat. Often times a quiet chat with the informal leader amongst teenagers has the effect of getting some degree of peer-directed control.

People will still congregate, but in a safer manner and cause less disruption. Going in straight away, dishing out tickets for parking and blanket directions about rubbishing, moving people on etc will often have the inevitable result of prolonging the length of time these people will continue visiting and tends to escalate the anti social level of the behaviour while they are there.

I thought it would be something like that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Poor buggers driving through that area are scared to death of hitting one of those kids. Let's hope they can move on after the funerals.

Ray
    You are misinformed if you think speed limits are set by road engineers,
    You are also misinformed if you think speed camera's are accurate.
    For speed camera's to have lawful status they would have to be tested buy an independant testing authority with traceble results they are not, "read the constitution"
    Speed limits in this country are set by polititions, unlike just about any other country

Hmmmm. That's a bit strange. My post quoted above was to confirm the post directly before mine (at the time), where the person posting said they heard something along those lines on the news. Since that post looks like it was deleted, mine in isolation looks rather tastelessly sensationalistic. Not at all what I intended - was just trying to help him/her out.

Something like "Yes, (insert name here), you heard correctly. It's unbelievable that some idiot is caught way over the limit outside the funeral of a kid killed in an accident where alcohol was a contributing factor." may have left me not quite so far out on a limb after the post was deleted. Oh well...

After the last of the funerals the kids will get bored and move on. I don’t have a problem with them gathering and drinking like they are. They are just youngsters letting off steam and mourning in their own way. How many of us have been to a wake of a relo or close friend and got #### faced. It happens every day of the week all over the world.

The hoons doing burnouts and the one act of violence is unacceptable, but it appears to be isolated. We all seem to be to focused on them but have lost sight on what a massive tragedy and waste of human life that has just taken place. I say cut the (non hoons) some slack

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    You are misinformed if you think speed limits are set by road engineers,
    Speed limits are set according to a road hierarchy, but any part of those roads that can not be safely navigated at the posted speed will have an advisory speed set that is designed by road engineers and designers.
    I design roads for a living.
    Mick

avantguardian