Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Interesting, Bob. What brand of sensor(s) and display to you have? What parameters are you measuring? Are you logging?
    The conductivity meter/sensor is a cheapie (HM Digital) with a TDS range of ~1 to 9990 ppm. As there is a tank involved the flow is not continuous so logging is not that meaningful. The RO water output TDS is around 10 ppm which is pretty good while the deionized water is zero, meaning <1 ppm.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Cheers Guys,

While I do perhaps operate on another level I do know several coffee geeks that make me look pretty average.
    Bob

I have given this subject some thought over the last few days, but have been slow to respond. I think I may be turning into an ent, which I suppose is not too out of place for a woodworking forum.

Water for most drinks is quite an important issue. If you look, for example, at the producers of a famous Irish stout and malt whiskeys from Scotland, they place quite high store in the water they use.

So coffee should be no different. I am not totally convinced about demineralised water being the best (except perhaps for the coffee machine) as it has no taste at all. The best water I ever taste comes from a creek down at the property in NSW where we used to live. Completely uncontaminated upstream, (there's nobody there), it is a delight to drink even without any coffee in it.

Demin water has nothing in it. In fact it is so devoid of anything we use it to cool the condcutors in our generators at work. The water is passed through the hollow conductors of the stator as it is the impurities in water that conduct electricity, not the water itself.

What are your thoughts on the taste aspect? I appreciate that your prime motive was to protect the coffee machine.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Exclamation

Glad this thread is still alive.

Found a place on the beach at Hervey Bay that serves the best coffee I have tasted anywhere in Qld.

Must check out the standard of the brew served by the bloke in the coffee place near SWMBO's massage therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    What are your thoughts on the taste aspect? I appreciate that your prime motive was to protect the coffee machine.
    Yeah 90% of this palaver is to protect the machine. The water I am generating has around 10/12 ppm of total dissolved solids (TDS) which is about the same as the low end of fresh rainwater collected from clean skies. The best tea and coffee is generally recognised by the gurus to be made with fresh rainwater but I cannot tell the difference between the taste of coffee made with my plain filtered water with a TDS of around 350 ppm and the water I am generating.