Thread: Forum postings - one for ;-}
-
7th January 2010, 06:41 PM #76
-
8th January 2010, 08:59 AM #77Ring Master
I hope someone may be able to help me with this problem. I have been asked to change the lightbulb at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it keeps moving. Just when I think I'm about to reach it, there is this big puff of steam and whoosh, the light goes out. Has anybody had experience with tunnel vision and/or night vision goggles. Would these help? I look forward to your response.
-
8th January 2010, 09:27 AM #78Hewer of wood
You may have been misled Ned.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a metaphor.
If you've been asked to change it to a low voltage unit, then this is a v. serious portent so consult your astrologer immediately.
If it's to be an efficient long-life bulb OTOH, that's great news!
And I'm not sure what an LED array means. Anyone?Cheers, Ern
-
8th January 2010, 10:47 AM #79Retired
You will probably find that these are low voltage units of the incandescent type.
They are a very inefficient source of light and should be replaced with halogen bulbs.
However this leads to another problem in that most halogen bulbs don't fit the socket that incandescent bulbs use.
Best you just leave it alone.
Beware that it is not attached to a steam engine that may come forward.
You can read about it here: Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or here: HowStuffWorks "How Light Emitting Diodes Work"
If you googled it, it you would get 3,680,000 hits.
-
8th January 2010, 11:04 AM #80GOLD MEMBER
I believe that the original posting was flawed, as it omitted:
1 PERSON TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, POSIBYL WITH TYPOS. MAYBE EVEN IN A SPECIALLY HIGHLIGHTED FONT.
1 (or more) person(s) to put on Grammar/Typing Official hat, and shred the post, pointing out said errors, and commenting that typing ineptitude probably implies mental deficiency
(optional)
1 prsn 2 typ sumfin in SMS wich may hav bn UUfl R NTRSTNG trnsltd N2 nrml Inglsh.
2 folks to post links to eBay listings of light bulbs, and proclaim their lack of affiliation with said offering.
Disclaimer:
any typos in this post are due to the tears of laughter streaming down my face. Bravo to all!!
-
8th January 2010, 11:33 AM #81
Thanks very much for the pointers. I read the FAQ and then the QAF, as well as the googly stuff, but none of it could tell me watt Filler meant. In fact, there wasn't much info about Filler at all, so I asked my mum, who said she keeps her bulbs in the freezer for 8 weeks just before spring. I thought she was doing it to get frosted bulbs, but she reckons it's just to make them sprout faster. I don't think that's such a bright idea.........
-
8th January 2010, 12:25 PM #82GOLD MEMBER
Some folks soak them in a mixture of dishwashing detergent for a few months.
Supposed to make them easier to turn on.
-
8th January 2010, 12:54 PM #83
-
8th January 2010, 01:16 PM #84Big Bad Bill
If you plan to grow iris bulbs some care should be taken to improve soil conditions first. It is best to use a slow release fertilizer to improve the nutrient value of the soil. Use compost, well rotted manure or peat moss to improve the organic state of the soil. Make sure that the fertilizer and organic matter is worked into the upper 100mm to 150mm (four to six inches) of soil. Crested irises grow best in wooded areas that have good drainage and partial shade.
(extract from Iris Bulbs by Special Organic Soils)Silence is golden and Duct tape is silver...
-
8th January 2010, 01:33 PM #85Retired
Keep it on topic Kiddies or next we will be talking about the bulbs on Hydrometers.
-
8th January 2010, 01:34 PM #86Hewer of wood
But how do you wire them up?
Cheers, Ern
-
8th January 2010, 03:06 PM #87anne-maria.
Tea Lady
(White with none)
Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.
-
8th January 2010, 03:10 PM #88Deceased
-
8th January 2010, 03:11 PM #89GOLD MEMBER
-
8th January 2010, 06:45 PM #90