Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Couple of things.

The gerrymander wasn't like a boundary redistribution. It weighted rural votes more heavily than urban votes.

Preferential voting even optional preferential is a debatable system. Consider indooroopilly where the LNP is streets ahead on primaries but it'll be a tustle between the greens and labour who will win the seat.

They have already raised registration, that was in the mini budget, although there are rumous of another hit. Mine's just arrived and it's up $70.

I, like everyone else, am shocked at the return, but it did occur to me last week that as the reality bit at the voting booth hands would shake and take the "safe" option. Springborg had made big inroads into his image but he's still basically unelectable. The conseravtives didn't shoot themselves down this time but they didn't really get any traction either.

While Bligh is utterly repulsive, corrupt and as mentioned incompetant, most people think better the disaster your used to in difficult times than someone who might possibly if they try hard enough make an even bigger mess of it.

They lost the election mostly in Brisbane. Perhaps if they had run drive time ads on radio pointing out the labour gov has had 11 years to fix our roads and done basically nothing it might have reminded eveyone how hopeless labour is.

Oh well. If I could find some where else nice to move to I'd be out of here in a jiffy. What's the central coast of WA like ?
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    Oh well. If I could find some where else nice to move to I'd be out of here in a jiffy. What's the central coast of WA like ?
    And there I thought that Queensland was beautiful one day and perfect the next. Seems I was wrong and that it's as corrupt and hopeless as all the other states.

Peter.

Well it's not as bad as Victoria
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

What a mob of whingeing whining Monday armchair experts.

Righto you experts, you've obviously studied politics and know how to fix the problems, riddle me one simple thing. What the hell is the Labour party?

Cheers
    Michael

Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post
    What a mob of whingeing whining Monday armchair experts.

Cheers
    Michael
    As I remember things Qld was the state that allowed a certain Joh to run the most corrupt regime in Australia.Remember "Don't you worry about that." Rural voters are slow to change.
    What the election was about, as all elections are, is the fact that the people elect those who they believe are best suited to do the job. So stop moaning and accept the fact that this time your choice was not the majority choice. Life doesn't always give us what we want.

Jerry
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.

Oow that's a big call. Probably more correct to say most obviously corrupt in our history. No one seemed to notice when Hawke got in in 83 the procession of labour politicians to switzerland sorting out their accounts.

Given the rampant nepotism and the lengths this administration has gone to to "accomodate" developers I'd guess they rival any previous government in this country.

As for the outcome of the election, I am not a conservative voter, nor do I have any illusions we would be better off under the LNP or whatever they call themselves this week. I vote independant usually and had hoped for a hung parliment. Of course I accept the result, what choice do I have ?

Michael:

Attacking my spelling is very clever. I'm impressed.

If you read my posts carefully you'll see I'm just offering another perspective. My attacks on the labor (labour) party are based on facts not opinions, nor partisan politics. It is a fact that in the last 11 years our road system in SEQ has been left to rot with virtually no upgrades. It is a fact that administralion has exploded, that only about 300 beds have been added to the queensland hospital system, that nepotism is rife.

I was born here, I quite like the place. I resented what Joh did to my state, I resent what this government has done.

Are you suggesting I have no right to be unhappy that my home is being ruined ? That we shouldn't criticise the government ?

If you don't like what I have to write you might be happier not reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
    As I remember things Qld was the state that allowed a certain Joh to run the most corrupt regime in Australia.Remember "Don't you worry about that."
    Those were the days!
    We had hospitals, police, law and order, good education.
    It was safe to walk the streets.
    Criminals were in prison (imagine if those bikies were in Brisbane in the 70's - Don't you worry about that!)

And the corruption was out in the open for all to see.

At the end of the day, I'd much, much prefer Johs 'system' to the disaster we have today.

:

Quote Originally Posted by Blocklayer View Post
    Those were the days!
    We had hospitals, police, law and order, good education.
    It was safe to walk the streets.
    Criminals were in prison (imagine if those bikies were in Brisbane in the 70's - Don't you worry about that!)

And the corruption was out in the open for all to see.

At the end of the day, I'd much, much prefer Johs 'system' to the disaster we have today.

:
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

He did pervert the electoral system, strip away free speach and the right to public assembly and turn off everyone from out of state investing in the place. I suppose the taxes were low, but do we really need a corrupt police state to have low taxes ? and were they worth the wider cost ?

I just think we could do better, but I suppose as long as the electorate don't care or know any better, and as long as being a politician is such an onerous job we won't attract a better class to the work.

I believe that many of the problems society faces today are rooted in the move form a community based society to an anonomous one. When we were a collection of towns and suburbs behaving poorly had real consequences, and many problems were taken care of at a local level. Now it's all abdicated to a bureucracy and we only know what's going on in our own street through the filter of the media. 2c.

I believe that many of the problems society faces today are rooted in the move form a community based society to an anonomous one. When we were a collection of towns and suburbs behaving poorly had real consequences, and many problems were taken care of at a local level. Now it's all abdicated to a bureucracy and we only know what's going on in our own street through the filter of the media. 2c.
    Couldn't agree more.
    People living in relative isolation believe they can do what they want (normally for their own benefit) without considering the wider implications. There also seems to be this belief that if you screw up or do something stupid or need something, that the responsibility belongs to "someone else". People need to be held responsible for their own actions and outcomes.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

but that's not a vote winner, no major political party is going to consign themselves to oblivion for values.
    Mick

avantguardian

Michael:

Attacking my spelling is very clever. I'm impressed.

If you read my posts carefully you'll see I'm just offering another perspective. My attacks on the labor (labour) party are based on facts not opinions, nor partisan politics. It is a fact that in the last 11 years our road system in SEQ has been left to rot with virtually no upgrades. It is a fact that administralion has exploded, that only about 300 beds have been added to the queensland hospital system, that nepotism is rife.

I was born here, I quite like the place. I resented what Joh did to my state, I resent what this government has done.

Are you suggesting I have no right to be unhappy that my home is being ruined ? That we shouldn't criticise the government ?

If you don't like what I have to write you might be happier not reading it.
    Hi Damien
    I don't know why you've responded to me in this way. You've clearly overmeasured the importance of your posts to me. There were several respondents in this thread I was having a go at certainly not exclusively you. I appreciate from your tag that you are never wrong, so I accept if you wish to keep your own sense of reality.

Cheers
    Michael

Your post finished with a quip about the spelling of labor as labour. Whether it was directed specifically at me or others who had spelled it that way it was still an attack on the spelling of a word.

The first half of your post attacked people for venting their frustration with the outcome, and/or the governments policies. Your very welcome to disagree with teh sentiments, and to put an alternative view, but just calling people a bunch of idiots for expressing an opinion is a personal attack and adds nothing to this discussion.

Whether you were attacking me or others doesn't matter. You shouldn't be attacking people. By all means disagree and argue the point, but there is a difference.

Damien

Perhaps you should lighten up just a trifle. The labour/ labor comment was meant in a light hearted manner and at no time did I see Mic-d use the term "idiots".
    I know Michael can well defend himself but let's keep a sense of proportion. The election is over, the majority has decided. What point is there in getting hot under the collar now?

Incidently you took up my use of the phrase "conservative voter" not quite in the mannner I intended. By conservative I was not referring to political parties but to the nature of the voter. That is they are welded to a party, that they are slow to or never change. I should have made myself clearer..

Jerry
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.