Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jisk View Post
    Pardon my ignorance - What's a greenie?
    On the left hand side of the post there are thre little symbols. Hover on the middle one an it co'e up with 'Add to this poster's reputation'. If you click on it, you can either approve of this post, which sends a greenie to the person, disapprove, which sends a reddie. You can click on your User CP to see if you've been sent a greenie or a reddie.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    When members don't acknowledge the advice given in reply to a question asked by them. They may not like the advice given but not acknowledging the effort gone in replying is a complete lack of manners and insulting.

Also those members who only come on line to ask a question and then disappear until they need another question answered. A bit of involvement and posting non questions as well as questions is what keeps this board alive.

Peter.
    I try to thank everyone that responds to my questions, but sometimes there is stuff added after I've had my question answered so I miss out on thanking them, if I haven't replied to anyone I apologise. As for giving advice I try if I think I have something relevant to add and as I become more experienced I'm sure I will have more to offer. This is a great forum and I've learnt heaps and sometimes it leads to thinking outside the square. Thanks everyone for your imput and patience. PS didn't know about greenies, but do now.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Seeing the posts of Chumley, Jisk and now Glen maybe I haven't been clear enough in my original comments about leeches.

I wasn't referring to those who are new members, I realise it takes a while to get the hang of the board and the confidence to start posting, other than questions.

I was referring to a number of members who have been here for quite a few years and only come on to ask for advice and then they disappear totally until they need us again. In between times they don't even log on and read any topics or participate where they can.

If any new member thought that I was referring to them I apologize, but I can't be too specific else the moderators will get upset.

Peter.

There's a special class of "new members" though, who join only to ask a specific question and then seem to disappear; indicated by "Posts: 1" in their user block for just about forever, without a single thanks. I take some satisfaction in knowing that some others who haven't asked the question derive some benefit, and some of them express gratitude.

I thought Skew's pencils were actually manufactured that way. Like the bar of soap with the concrete centre that never dissolves.

Rodent's paper problem reminds me of the following dialogue between blokes in adjacent cubicles:
    "Do you have any extra paper in there?" "No, I don't."
    "Do you have a newspaper?" "No."
    "Do you have change for a five?"

Back on topic: "Expert" woodworkers on the tube who use lag screws or wood screws in end grain for a structural connection.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

you mean like kids who want you to do their homework

Yeh but isn't that life....there are those who want to share and be part of a community..... and there are those who only get involved in stuff for their own benifit.

interestingly it very rarely a proper woodworker ( an enthusiast ) that is ungratefull.

Most people I have met on this board are nice people, some of them are a bit weird, others I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time with, But I don't think I have come across a proper woodworker who was a true @&$% hole.

There is something about wood.....does it influence the mind for the better or does it just attract better people.

speaking of being gratefull..
    Neil.. has anybody TOLD you today............ thanks for the board.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    ............Most people I have met on this board are nice people, some of them are a bit weird,..............

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Right there with you Mick

But I don't think I have come across a proper woodworker who was a true @&$% hole.

Sound like a challenge

Ah well Mick we all have our own personal weirdness ...... with some it is obvious, others it isn't...........then there are those who are wierd because they seem to be devoid of all weirdness.

Mat it was more an observation than a chalenge.
    But I find it difficult to believe that there would be too many who cared about what they do & couldnt give a $#@T about others.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

Hamsters......I hate them.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

I was waiting for that.........rats & mice kept as pets.... for that matter any form of rodent kept in the house..... especialy siberian hamster....... tis rat..... no, no, tis hamster.
    Interestingly guenea pigs were usualy ket in the yard arround here.....probaly because they were originaly kept as live stock aparantly they are very tasty.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

I keep my mice in the shed, where I feed them peanut butter attached to a mousetrap to amuse myself.

.. Don't get me started on americanisms.
    Its bad enough that we are stuck with a whole pile of wood working americanisms, due to at least half the english language woodworking material and products being american.

At least half, possibly more.

. we have had our own high energy comentary style for years we dont need the "shouty, low word count, no information style" the sepo's seem to favour.

Two p's in Seppo. Shouty low word content doesn't sound familiar. Our lot talk incessantly.

we most certainly do not need to use or accept terms foreign to our games. There most certainly is NO "touchdown" in any form of popular football in this country,

More's the pity. Anyone who can score points when they miss a goal should not complain.

"touchdown" is a girly term for those who need a suit of armour and a helmet to play a game of football.

No argument there.

Just as bad is hearing words like trunk,

An elephant's proboscis.

hood,

a common thug

store,

Save up for the future.

mall,

A pleasant greensward for walking.

waitup

I have no idea what this means. Can't be an Americanism.

.... & i could go on being used in australian childrens telivision and advertising

BH it has taken us 200 years to get rid of the undesirable parts of the vicrorian english now we have this #$%@ poluting our culture.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGH

cheers
    Go on Soundie, tell us how you really feel.
    Cheers,

Bob

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Note the reference to Victorian English, Queensland English includes some 'foreign' words of antiquity, such as 'port', this used to confuse me until I found out it was a suitcase
    Or was the Victorian reference to an era rather than a State
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Fact is that English is comprised of snippets of other languages from all over the world and the dictionaries expand by hundreds of words per year. It's just a big melting pot. I wonder what the poms think about our bastardisation of 'their' language?