Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Like *10# here?
    But it doesn't work with blocked numbers.
    The carrier will still have the 'A' party number though - so, Bob, get onto the carrier and have them set up an automated trace.

Had a telemarketing call this afternoon from the local office of a private audiometry provider trying to flog a 'free' hearing test for people over a certain age. They asked for either SWMBO or me by name. Told them I wasn't interested & hung up, then rang their national office to find out where they got our names from. From a previous phone book says the spiv on the end. Ordure of the oxen, says I, our names aren't in the book. Spiv tries to change the subject, tells me what a great free service they are offering, blah blah blah.

What concerns me is that we have both recently reached 'a certain age' and have applied for Senior cards, so I'm wondering if this information is being given to them by a government department. In any case, I've written to the company, my state & federal politicians and the state & federal privacy commissions. If I don't get any answers from the company, I might just have to enquire in person at their local 'surgery', and you can bet it will be at a very busy time....:mad:
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Alex

Push a bit harder.

The place to start is with the CEO of the private audiometry outfit. I recommend that you ring him and tell him, politely but firmly, that you are very, very angry at the entire notion your names should have become available to his organisation and you absolutely demand to know how he (emphasise 'he' because he is ultimately responsible) came by them and who gave and/or sold him your names and details. Tell him your privacy has been invaded, this is illegal and you will be pursuing the matter with the intention of taking legal action against him and his company if he doesn't cough up the identity of the source of his information.

Then sit back and watch the fun!

These bastards are getting away with some highly unethical practices and they need to be jerked around a bit.

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Recieved an e-mail today with this link
    http://h20271.www2.hp.com/SMB-AP/cac...sotsep/article

This taken from the article

"You have reached accounts. Please enter your 16-digit credit card number."
    Sounds okay. And let's be honest, you are responding to that 'official' email you've just received from your bank.
    Apparently your account has been locked – do you remember unsuccessfully trying to login three times last week? You're not sure, but it is possible. Now an email from your bank is asking you to call a particular phone number so that you can have your account unlocked. All you have to do is verify your account and identity.
    So, do you enter your credit card number?
    Maybe you'd better think about it just a little bit longer. If you do pass on your details, you might just be one of many who are falling victim to the latest type of fraud, vishing.
    Specifically a form of hi-tech crime, vishing is little more than 'voice' phishing. It can come from a simple phone call directly to you home, from that phone number listed on the email you just received, from an auto phone-dialling process, or even through your Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service.
    In fact, it's actually VoIP that is proving to be a true boon for vishers as callers are able to remain anonymous as they generate massive volumes of calls for little – if any – costs. Once the call is made they can then fake their identity as it comes up on your call display, making their name and number appear to come from a legitimate source, such as your credit card company or bank.
    There's plenty of vish in the mainstream
    With VoIP increasingly moving into the mainstream, there seems little doubt that fraudsters will be increasing their attacks.
    So what can you do to protect yourself? While various VoIP providers, such as Skype™, currently block outgoing caller IDs on their communications to effectively ensure fake details cannot be sent, many other providers don't provide this service.
    And while companies are also working on specific filters to help block such phone messages in similar ways that spam is blocked, there is currently little hardware or software in place to help protect people; and until specific protection such as online banking authentication systems are adequately used and available, many people will fall victim.
    Don't be a vish out of water
    Today, even as many and varied forms of protection are being developed to help ensure your data, software, and hardware remains safe and secure, when it comes to vishing, a little common sense might just go a long way.
    If you can't identify the caller from their caller ID, let your voice mail pick it up. You can decide later whether to call back.
    Never reveal your personal information – a tactic that works in every fraud attempt. You wouldn't disclose the same information when you receive an unsolicited email from your bank, why would you to an unsolicited phone call?
    When you receive any call purporting to be from your credit card provider that you're not one hundred percent sure of, simply hand up and call the phone number on the back of the credit card. If it turns out this was a fraud attempt, you can then report the vishing attempt to both your VoIP provider and your bank.
    And when worse comes to worse and you feel you've been successfully stung by a fraudster, make sure you contact your bank or credit card company immediately and that you report you card number as stolen.
    Answering a call can be a great thing, but sometimes it's nice to get a close call, instead.

Was your call realy from the bank Darren ?
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

This is a great thread! I get about 3 calls a week from people from phone companies I have never heard of speaking in a language sort of like English. One caller actually told me they were calling from India and seemed to know a fair bit about my personal details - I asked how come they knew so much and this idiot said they had checked my credit standing through the national credit rating organisation (can't think of its proper name right now)! She was probably right as she knew details your general telemarketer would not know.

If I am feeling a bit frivolous I let them go through all the guff, tell them I will consider changing over if I can speak to the supervisor, and when it gets to the crunch where they start recording the voice contract I give them a mouthful of unpleasant language.

Have at times asked if the caller is interested in phone sex, buying my car, moving in with me if I send them some money, etc.

As a last resort I put my 17 year old son on - he has a computer file with stock quotes from movies etc and he can summon up a response appropriate to their questions very quickly from the file - they get the idea sooner or later and hang up. Love helping htem spend their money! Mongrels!
    Life is just a leap of faith
    Spread your arms and hold your breath
    And always trust your cape

Still like the Seinfeld response "Can you give me you home phone number so that I can ring you when it is inconvenient to you?"

They seem to hang up quickly after that.
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    ....I'm wondering if this information is being given to them by a government department.......:mad:
    I got a letter today, Addressed to my full name at the street address, & using the techo name of the suburb.:confused: (Hardly anybody ever uses the techo name for our suburb, we all just say Cairns 'cos it is close enough & everybody knows where that is.)

It starts out.... Dear Clifton.

Now I know this has to have come from a Gubment Dept file 'cos only me Mum & the policeman call me Clifton.

I also know that there are only about 3 or 4 Gubment Depts that insist on using the street address & not our PO Box.
    All our bank statements, magazines subscriptions, telephone accounts, electricty accounts, council rates notices, Dr.s, Dentist, even me Mum knows to use the PO Box.

It is titled "This is your Fugwitz (Not there real name ) Travel Ticket to the World"

And it goes on to say... "This letter is your personal invitation to a lifetime of holidays."
    Blah Blah Blah Blah Waffle Waffle Waffle... within 72 hours to receive a fantastic reward for spending some time with us. (BTW. There is no date/time on the letter. )

You can choose between either:
    Fugwitz Holidays Accommodation Certificate for 2 adults & 2 children valid for:
    -2 nights at the Gold Coast
    -3 nights at Cairns (Beauty says I.)
    -4 nights at NZ, Fiji, Phuket, or Penang.
    Or
    A $75 Coles Myer Voucher. :eek:

Strewth, what is second prize?
    Bloody hell, who thinks up this crap.... {insert shake head smiley}

Signed by the Senior Vice President of Marketing.
    Underneath it says that there is no obligation to purchase anything but...
    On the back it tells you how much the booking administration fee is.

Anyway, back to the chase, whenever I subscribe to anything or give my details out, I address it to Cliff Rogers at the PO Box.
    I never use the address they used.
    Now I know from dealing with a couple of Gubment Depts (see earlier post) that they are somewhat reluctant to part with any info so this narrows it down to the State Dept of Motor Transport (why the Copper calls me Clifton ) & the electoral roll.
    I just checked my driver's license & it says Cairns so it must be the electoral roll..... bugger.:mad:
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I just checked my driver's license & it says Cairns so it must be the electoral roll..... bugger.:mad:
    Must be the electoral roll. This is freely available for perusal by anyone without charge at the electoral office.

May even be available on line now.

Peter.

"Do you have flybuys sir?"
    Why do we give information on our spending habits to a marketing organisation for the reward of a free T Shirt after you have spent $10,000

I think that you will find that some local councils sell a list of property owners which would have your full name etc. I have heard of Real Estate Agents using them and they are on disc and not a hard copy.
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    These bastards are getting away with some highly unethical practices and they need to be jerked around a bit.

Col
    I agree Col, and what fun it can be!
    I had intended to do what you said with the CEO (& other directors), but you now have to pay to get that info from ASIC. That's why I've sooled the local pollies on to them. After all, you don't keep a dog and bark yourself, do you.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    I think that you will find that some local councils sell a list of property owners which would have your full name etc. I have heard of Real Estate Agents using them and they are on disc and not a hard copy.
    My name is not on the property at the street address.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Interrupt spiel, sorry some one at door, very interested please hang on.
    leave off hook 10/15 min's. their cost.

What I've never been able to understand is why all these telemarketers talk exactly like Peter Sellers.

???????? Goodness gracious me!

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Alex

Push a bit harder.

The place to start is with the CEO of the private audiometry outfit. I recommend that you ring him and tell him, politely but firmly, that you are very, very angry at the entire notion your names should have become available to his organisation and you absolutely demand to know how he (emphasise 'he' because he is ultimately responsible) came by them and who gave and/or sold him your names and details. Tell him your privacy has been invaded, this is illegal and you will be pursuing the matter with the intention of taking legal action against him and his company if he doesn't cough up the identity of the source of his information.

Then sit back and watch the fun!

Col
    Quite so: One wonders just where and through which channels this information is made commercially available. It erks me no end