Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Giving up?

Geoff,

Not depressed, just extremely frustrated at trying to give up this stupid habit with anti smokers and chemists seemingly putting obstacles in my way.

Nails, Nails, Nails???? I don't want those terrible things in my coffin - hand cut dovetails for this black lunged duck thankyou.

Don't even try and fool me by making them with a jig and then scribing the joint - I will know! I will haunt you foillie or not!
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer
    .......extremely frustrated at trying to give up this stupid habit with anti smokers and chemists seemingly putting obstacles in my way.

Absolutely amazing that they make it so hard. As I posted I gave it up about 13 years ago having started when I was about 12 years old.

Rob. like you many a times I saw the warnings both on packets and tv ads but neither them or even complaints of my family made me give it up until I was ready to do so.

I believe that it is a matter of willpower and until you really want to give it up you won't succeed. I went cold turkey ( took a fortnight for the cravings to go ) but patches would make it easier. I found that it helped to make changes in my habits, eg don't linger after meals but get up immediately to break the urge to smoke.

Good luck Rob.

Peter.

So if you are one of those people who think it is smart to be rude to smokers
    Being rude is being rude and it is never justified,
    I had 'The little book of quitting' by Alan Carr. That was all about getting your mind ready to quit, rather than worrying about cravings or dealing with symptoms. He went though all the reasons people give for smoking and explained them in terms of nicotine. Made a lot of sense.
    Quitting is so hard because it's so easy to give in and you dont need heaps of cash to go and buy some.
    Being free of an addiction is a wonderful feeling.
    You'll get there when you're ready, then your beer tastes better
    (I was a bit abrupt with someone the other day for smoking too close to my house, told them to ****** off somewhere else. I dont think I was rude)
    Mick

avantguardian

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

I knew a bloke who used the nicotine chewing gum to give up smoking. Worked with him for twelve years - he chewed the gum that whole time. I often wondered what it was he'd given up. :confused:

Richard

Having started this I may as well attempt to finish it.

Like most smokers I was hooked early and "enjoyed" it. I tried a few times to give up but wasn't really motivated. I tried zyban, hypnosis, willpower and the rest without success.

What it did take was a reason, and eventually I came to realise this. So, I looked for a reason "for me". I happened to hear bits of the Congressional hearings in the US and got so (expletive deleted) mad at the lying bastids I managed to get the resolve to quit.

I suggest you learn a little bit about how these companies designed the drug to be compatible with a developing teenager's chemistry, so their brain actually changed slightly to derive better pleasure (hence addiction). They denied it ever happened - especially since all the research had been destroyed at their direction years ago.

It did me a favor, but they should all be in jail. It is a physical addiction, plus a mental (habitual) addiction. Not easy to give up and no one should be embarrassed about failing the first few attempts. After all, scientists and tobacco companies spent years making sure you wouldn't.

Two days in and I hate you all.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    Good onya Dan! Turn that hatred towards the bastids profiting from your misery and the job gets easier (and the tools get bigger!).

I pity the bad-uns in Cobram over the next few weeks!

Don't worry, I hate everybody.

WB - Can't see why you can't get patches from the chemist. They are not a prescription item.

Dan

Geoff,

Not depressed, just extremely frustrated at trying to give up this stupid habit with anti smokers and chemists seemingly putting obstacles in my way.

Nails, Nails, Nails???? I don't want those terrible things in my coffin - hand cut dovetails for this black lunged duck thankyou.

Don't even try and fool me by making them with a jig and then scribing the joint - I will know! I will haunt you foillie or not!
    No Woodborer no, No Woodborer no, Noooooo Woodborer.

Al

SWMBO found this on the net. You've probably seen something like it before but it is all ways worth remembering.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I agree with groggy I had to have a reason to give up.
    about seven tears ago, soon after I had separated from swmnlbo, the kids came back from there mums place and said she'd given up smoking. As we were still feuding at the time I couldn't possibly have her beat me at this so I gave up there and then. Sounds a bit immature now but it worked, I've had only 4 cigarettes in 7 years.
    She took it up again after 3 months

swmnlbo = she who must no longer be obeyed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    Onya Dan. Good stuff
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

I still hate you all.

Day 4. Geez I miss that 1st cigar with my morning coffee, but not so much today. Cranky as s**t yesterday, but bought a heap of myrtle at Mathews this morning, so much better.

Who said retail therapy only works for women.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Day 4.
    Excellent stuff, Alex. Keep Butcher's list on the fridge door. Keep a tally of the cigar money you save, and buy, buy, buy.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.