Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Ubeaut Forum meet at Laverton, Vic

Ahh!!! back from another Ubeaut meet, this time at the home of Dave and Jenny in Laverton, what wonderful hospitality and friendship all round. Met some old faces and many new faces(to me that is). A lovely lady turner in Astrid, who taunted us with olive wood she was going to bring! and then Greg was busy demonstrating and showing some superb hand tools(planes), forget the name , but absolutely wonderful. Helmut brought along his hammer and tool bench, and demostrated the fine art of hand planing, had a go but I sure would need plenty of practise. Scooter was there and so to Jim. Noel-Watson can't remember much of him, he will have to tell you himself!, KevJed-Kevin, Simon-SimonB, Wally and what a wally he was, Woodwork Wally, Skew and Sorren just to name a few, Neil and his wife called by with a box of goodies, and Woodborer -Rob, came in from the high country to have a yarn.
    Now here are the photos and names, if they are incorrect you can blame WoodenInk.
    1. Astrid, 2. Groggy- Greg, 3. Helmut, 4. Amos-WoodenInk, 5. Scooter- Shaun, 6. Dave and Jenny our hosts, (Kmanoz), 7. Jim ,8. Noel- Watson
    9.KevJed-Kevin, 10.Simon-SimonB, 11.Wally-WoodWork Wally, 12.Skew-Al
    13. Sorren as Sorren. 14.WoodBorer- Rob. the photographer was busy burning the Barbie when Neil came so he missed his photo beeing taken.
    15.Pitching the tent-all hands on deck, 16.Astrid's wood staining, 17, A good idea-wood name tag-Wally, 17, tiny goblets by Wally, the one dollar coin is for comparison! 18. Group photo, 19. Dave and Helmut, 20. And one for the Pen turners, they had this offcut of desert Ironwood from the North of Australia, they threw it at me in disdain and said "here fido, chew on this and see if you can make a pen out of it!!"" Amos

Default Photos that did not fit into 1st section

I had a wonderful day with my fellow wood turners and recommend it to any one, thanks you Dave and Jenny and to all who contributed to make this a wonderful day. Amos

Special thanks to Dave and Jenny for their great organisation. Dave, I've made a note to arrange that cooler and will get it to you hopefully next week if it is still for sale.

Always good to meet the faces behind the pixels and catch up with those we know. I got the impression there was some fast learning going on today and it was really interesting watching Thumbsucker and Dave hooking into making the plane (guys, the latest FWW has an article on it).

Glad to see Rob made it down from Tolmie (2 hr drive) looking well and not fretting over fire season

Thanks Dave.

Those who didn't make it missed out on a good catch up and a wonderful BBQ.

500 Km exactly was the round trip and now I am about to cook dinner on the BBQ
    - Wood Borer

Sorry I didn't make it fellers, but sure looks like you all had a good time.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Aye, 'twas a pleasantly spent day; many thanks to Dave & Jenny for putting up with us.

Helmut (Thumbsucker) promoted the darkside all day, first starting to make a plane with Dave and Kevin(?), then a quick demo of dovetails, finishing with an explanation of using mortice chisels. I'd meant to take some photos of the plane as the WIP proceeded but... well... Fortunately Amos brought along some of his pens and Wally a couple of miniature captive-ring goblets, so I got my fix of turning too.

BobL made it later in the afternoon (smart man... things had started to cool off by then) and showed us a few pix from the luthier's course he's doing. Nice. Although I felt (and I think Astrid agreed) that it was a bit eerie seeing a group of darksiders clustered around Bob's lap-top...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I"ve got to agree with Amos that was a great day and all thanks to Dave and Jenny for their hospitality This was a first for me and most enjoyable although I couldnt stay till stumps It was good to meet some of the faces behind the names and good to see Neil and Pauline call in as well . and I ended up with the other end of fidos bone [Cairns Ironwood ] to try a pen turn also Apparently something like "real hard "stuff, so I guess that the metal work lathe and some hss turning bits may be reccomended . anyway thanksDave & Jenny & to you all for a great day regards Wally

Well I eventually made it to the Melb-west gtg. Great to meet those that I could and sorry that I couldn't meet the others. I finally did get to eat some of the spicy chicken - I really liked that. Thanks Dave and gang. It's great to put the faces to the nicks.

Ladies and Gents, thank you all very much for a great day! We ate, we drank, we got very little actual work done Now it's time for a cold shower!

Special thanks to Neil for donating some product which most got to sample and to Amos for doing the cooking, you're a gentleman mate! I didn't take as many pictures as I'd intended to, mostly because I was too busy, but there were a few cameras about and I'll post some progress shots of the plane TS and I worked on tomorrow.

I hope everyone had as good a day as I did, just sorry that I couldn't turn off the heat

Dave.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

Dave
    Thanks again for organising, I really learnt a lot - seeing what other people are capable of producing is great for motivatation.

Cheers again
    Simon

Thumbs up Thanks

Dave

I wish to thank both you and your wife for being such great hosts. It was great to meet new 'faces' and catch up with old ones.
    Look forward to see the finished plane.

regards

Soren

Thanks so much for the great hospitality Dave and Jenny. As a newbie to the forum it was great to put a face to the names. I am stunned by the generosity of the group both on and off the forum.
    Amos, thanks so much I'll look after that pen for you mate. (You are too kind.)
    To each and every one of you that I met today. Thank you for your kind generosity and willingness to share openly of your talents and views. Open honest discussion on a range of topics and good humour maintained by all.
    It was great to see some of those D2 blades in the metal, so to speak. Helmut, you have done a great job there.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished plane. It was good to get some hands on with the Ironwood.
    I had a great time and I'm sorry that I left early.
    I look forward to the next meeting.

Kman you are the man, thank you for the hosting the get together, the food was great, it was great to put the names to faces.

Kman did a great job of showing his approach to laminated planes, I look forward to finishing the plane with him.

It was great to kevjed, the man has passion. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Bob it was great to catch up, it is a shame it was so short, keep turning out those tools. Please get back to me, on the blades, hope you enjoy them. Bob thank you for bring Pops little package, they are the ???? as Kman put it.

Simon great to see some young blood, next BBQ you will have to us something.

Wally hope you enjoy the Cooktown Ironwood it is really lovely stuff. Please post back about how you go with the plane blade.

Astrid thank you with lift and the chat about the business of restoring antiques.

Astrid suggested we have one again in a cooler months. I would be definitely up for that.

Groogy thanks and great to see you, love the HNT tulip wood. Thank you for the tip on the angles of the blade and the finger nail and if the blade digs or slides.

Skew is a closet dark sider, he had a chat about multiple draw knives he had and how much he love using them. Skew your secret is save with me.

All around ten thumbs ups from Thumbsucker.

Thanks to David & Jenny for an excellent shed meet. I just found a shady spot and sat (keeping my fluids up)
    Good to meet old and new.

A big thankyou to Dave and jen,
    We all had a fantastic time and i really learned a lot.
    Groggy put the best edge on my profile plane its ever had. and gave a great demo on sharpening.
    Helmut gave the best demo and simple expanation on dove tailing (I might finaly get my head around it) and cutting a mortice.
    Amos revealled the mystery and attraction of pen turning with some truely stunning examples.
    Helmut and dave explained the difference between a block plane and a jack plane and spent some hot hours demonstrating the making of one.
    Some great company and informative chats in kevjed, Sorren, Scew, NoelWatson BobL and all the others.

A special separate thank you to Jen (who's chicken took your head off)
    who must have been marinading all the previous night.
    Thanks Jen lovely food and great company.

Astrid