Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oldneweng View Post
    I sent an email to the nuttall guy. Still waiting for a reply. That was about 9 - 12 months ago.
    Give up ... you are best off phoning him. I've sent him numerous emails and none got answered.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Dave J Guest

It's funny that, as he was quick to answer questions on his ebay listing through the message system.

Dave

I reckon the "email" feature of his web site is broken (or it's sending our messages to some unchecked email address).
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vernonv View Post
    I reckon the "email" feature of his web site is broken (or it's sending our messages to some unchecked email address).
    Hi Vernon,
    You would think he would have fixed that up after he first heard of a customer having trouble. I know he has a partner that he mentioned, who works there as well. When the machine shop is your living, you would make sure every customer was dealt with quickly. It is not only you two guys, think of how many have tried to contact him via the website email system.

Anyway, like I told you last year, if Dean needs anything and would like me to go over their and see him I will.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Hi Vernon,
    You would think he would have fixed that up after he first heard of a customer having trouble. I know he has a partner that he mentioned, who works there as well. When the machine shop is your living, you would make sure every customer was dealt with quickly. It is not only you two guys, think of how many have tried to contact him via the website email system.

Anyway, like I told you last year, if Dean needs anything and would like me to go over their and see him I will.

Dave
    I am missing the gap part of the bed which I think is lost for good. I have no idea what happened to it. I don't think I could afford to replace it anyway. I just have to work around the problem. I don't think it is a huge issue.

I am also missing the driven gear for the cross slide as per this thread. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/my-lathe-138811/
    I am going to make another one from brass eventually. If I could pick one up for $20 or $30 I would just grab it but I don't think it would be that cheap. If you happen to be there you could ask for me but I wouldn't make a trip just for that. Thanks for the offer Dave.

Dean

Dave J Guest

No problem Dean, it is only a few suburbs away, so I will ask next time I go past.

Dave

My lathe/etc storage cupboard is nearly finished.

Attachment 180221
    Shelves fitted. These are made from recycled pine pallets.

Attachment 180222
    The skin is nearly done. Small piece at top rear to find and the doors to finish.

Attachment 180223
    Right side.

Attachment 180224
    Left side. This shows the recycled nature of this project. All steel used and most of the pop rivets and self tappers were salvage in one way or another. Yay for the wasteful nature of contractors at work.

Dean

I dont really have much to show it will all ramp up over the next few months now I have a $$ to play with.

Picked these two cabinets from a guy over the road a month ago for $75 each one assembled the other I had to put together as thats how far he got with them he got them off ebay but didnt like the draws no bearings just slides I think they go for about 150 each or something so it doesn't suprise me they are a little on the delicate fragile crap side but stuck a bit of greases on the slides and they seem ok when you have weight in them not as good as the $500 and up jobs but I would rather spend that on tooling for the time being and well yep getting some power to the shed.

One of the guys is selling some shelving no doubt you have all seen on the for sale part of the site will probably grab some of that soon as I work out my plan of attack on the shed.

I will need to label all the draws though as I think early age dementia is kicking in and I spend more time looking in draws for something simple then actually doing a job I guess that's why layouts are so good.

Love some of the setups so far may have to copy some of the layout ideas especially the BobL set-up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

Default chain lever

Quote Originally Posted by Oldneweng View Post

The winch is not my idea of a perfect design but I already had it available. I would prefer a chain lever type but don't have the money to buy one at this stage.

I.

hi i have a 1 ton lever "come along" your welcome to have it if you want. it works fine just doesn't have a full length of chain. by chance i will be in . Poolaijelo tomorrow.. im just trying to clear out the clutter a little.
    aaron
    Last edited by azzrock; 28th August 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Dave J Guest

Hi Will,
    I will swap you sheds as mine you cant move in. LOL
    It wont take long to fill it, just don't let your wife or kids if you have them, to start storing gear in their, or it will never leave.
    I remember when I first moved into mine 26 years ago and the grandfather said, wow this is a big shed it would take a lot to fill it. He just said the other month, you need another shed as this one is full.LOL

I bought 2 of those cabinets from Kmart a year or so ago when they had a run out special on them. It was only because the son worked their at the time and let me know about them ,and I got staff discount as well which brought it down to $67 each, the original price was $150. He bought one as well.
    The only difference with mine is they have a 3 sided sheet metal box type thing that goes between the top and bottom making them higher, and giving another compartment to put gear. You could add them yourself to bring the draws up higher if you wanted to.
    I just used oil on my draw slides and they have work fine, but I don't have much weight in them.

I used both of mine for storing measuring gear for the lathe and mill, but my wife just bought me one of those $500 supercheap boxes for christmas, so I will be using that as I was running out of room and couldn't find things. Of course she didn't have room in the house to store it, so she told me to take it down the shed and use it now. It is grey and silver so it looks more like a machinist chest than a tool chest.

I saw that shelving and it looks good, if it was closer I would buy some. I see you save a lot if you buy it all, I wonder if he will barter for you on a smaller lot?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WillyInBris View Post
    Love some of the setups so far may have to copy some of the layout ideas especially the BobL set-up
    Cheers WIB.

I find if I organize drawers by category and then subcategory then it's not that hard to remember.

That said I did spend a 1/2 hour or so looking for some misplaced funnels this morning and the ended up making one from a soft drink bottle. They must be well hidden because despite working for another 3 hours in the shed I still haven't crossed their paths

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Cheers WIB.

I find if I organize drawers by category and then subcategory then it's not that hard to remember.

That said I did spend a 1/2 hour or so looking for some misplaced funnels this morning and the ended up making one from a soft drink bottle. They must be well hidden because despite working for another 3 hours in the shed I still haven't crossed their paths
    I have had the same problem with my funnels ever since I saw the idea of storing them in buckets with lids, it makes the invisible but keeps the dust off them.

Dave

Dave.

I know what you mean about buckets with lids. I have about 60 or 80, 15litre buckets from work. Just remember to lable them.

My metalwork cupboard is finished!!

Attachment 180449

Finished and in position. The pale sections are where the wheel arch cutout used to be. It is a tight fit between the locker next to it and the shed end frame/pole. Wooden shelves next along as visible in next pic, then board holding power point. Next to this is side door to new shed extension as mentioned elsewhere. It all just fits. I love it when a plan comes together

Attachment 180451

Attachment 180450
    Starting to stock the cupboard. Everything needs to be cleaned and protected from rust as it goes in. I am also going to have some order so am on the lookout for methods to store everything. Need a rack to store taper drills on a lean so they will fit in but not take up too much space and will be easy to see. Will mark each spot with drill size. I need a light in there. The led on side wall is attached with magnets.

Dean
    Last edited by Oldneweng; 28th August 2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Glitch. Don't know what happened. Premature posting

Dave J Guest

Came up good.
    For you drills, just drill some holes in a block of hard wood at the angle needed and give it a good soaking in motor oil or any other cheap oil you have around. I made up this style of thing for my milling arbours to sit in.

Dave

Default getting there

i bought these. draw frames with ball bearing sliders at the local market for 10 bucks each. im fitting them under a work bench. so far i have fitted 4. they are turning out to be great.
    i cant wait to get the other 6 in. Maybe ill just try having 4 for a while.
    on top of the bench in front of the tool box is what i use for a marking out plate to the left of the bench is my future marking out plate.
    Attachment 184333

Attachment 184337

Attachment 184336