Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post

Getting a lot of reading done; Hock's book on sharpening is on order.
    Sounds like a real page turner.
    Last edited by tea lady; 8th January 2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: tyop
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

heheh ...
    Lee's book on sharpening is a great read - but the Ch on woodturning suggests a perhaps distant aquaintance with our art. Be interesting to see Hock's views.

How much does the theory of cutting with flatwork translate to turning?
    Cheers, Ern

Good to hear you are on the mend after being "helped off your bike".

Perhaps, "On ya bike" will now take on a whole new meaning.

How much does the theory of cutting with flatwork translate to turning?
    Not sure if that question was rhetorical, Ern....

If not..... more so with power tools, less so with hand tools. Have to make those hand tools blades real sharp to be able to manually push or hit them through wood.

Stay sharp and stay safe!

Neil

Update: at my request the Omeo cop kindly went looking for info on the cause of the crash and found a report had been filed at Tallangatta police station by the rider of an oncoming bike who had swerved to avoid a Jeep Cherokee and in correcting that tangled with me.

I'll try and get a copy of the report and if it shows I wasn't at fault then there'll be no excess to pay and no drop in no-claim bonus.

It's a relief to know.

The wrist gets x-rayed this week as a check up; the slab comes off 2 weeks later, then the wires will be removed mid-Feb.
    Cheers, Ern

Update: at my request the Omeo cop kindly went looking for info on the cause of the crash and found a report had been filed at Tallangatta police station by the rider of an oncoming bike who had swerved to avoid a Jeep Cherokee and in correcting that tangled with me.

I'll try and get a copy of the report and if it shows I wasn't at fault then there'll be no excess to pay and no drop in no-claim bonus.

It's a relief to know.

The wrist gets x-rayed this week as a check up; the slab comes off 2 weeks later, then the wires will be removed mid-Feb.
    But how come he didn't stop to assist? It still is a bit of mystery.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Default You shoulda seen the other bloke

Now you have really piqued my curiosity Ern. How did the other bike tangle with you and not come down as well? Did he stop when it happened or keep going until he got to Omeo? I'm sure you have more questions that I do about all that, but when you do find out how it all happened, please let us know. I guess this makes the damage and injuries a bit easier to understand tho'.

Yes, a puzzle.

The Jeep driver apparently didn't stop but it's poss they weren't aware of the other rider's difficulties and the subsequent fall-out.

The rider may well have stopped and helped but didn't stuff a note with his name and address in my pocket unfortunately.

Have just been on to Tall. PS and they can find no report in the system from their end. Curiouser and curiouser.
    Cheers, Ern

Latest:

The rider involved did in fact make a report at the T. PS but I got his name from Omeo police, found a number for him in the Wpp, a local, rang him, and he admitted fault.

We've come to a verbal agreement re costs.

So that's a relief, as is knowing I wasn't a complete dickhead.

Full marks to Mark Britton of VicPol at Omeo.

PS Now I know i can grieve at last. Jesus H, it hurts.
    Cheers, Ern

Rsser - a written note to VicPol HQ on how helpful the local Police were would be a nice idea - lots of country cops wear themselves out helping people & never get any official recognition for it, its only the ones they drop that get noticed.

Thanks for the tip; will do. (In fact had emailed a copper acquaintance asking about just this).
    Cheers, Ern

Well done Ern! That's one worry out of the way, now onto a fully recovery from your injuries.
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Slab and bandage were removed y'day for a 'wound check'. Happily no suppurating mess there but still a lot of swelling and orders are to rest up more.

The kaywires were sticking out of the skin like mini coat hanger hooks; supposed to but nauseating to see

It's reslabbed for two weeks, then an x-ray to check and if OK it and the wires come off.

New slab is fibreglass and lighter than the plaster but constant pressure is making the palm burn. Preferred analgesia is amber fluid; the opiates cloud the mind and clog the bowels.

The cracked rib is no laughing matter. Jokes are banned in the house. Last night's ABC TV program 'Getting On' was so funny it was torture
    Cheers, Ern

Ern what of the memory loss have you forgotten how to turn that you have a lathe that motorbikes like lathes can through off what ever is on them with the slightest wrong nudge. These injuries now puts you in the disabled category making you a PHD disabled turner.

Good to hear things are progressing well Ern.

Thought of you the other day as we drove from Mt Hotham (where we were staying) to Omeo. Nice bit of road and seemingly a magnet for motor bike riders, an almost constant procession of bkes going in both directions.

Coming up the mountain from Bright to Mt Hotham, quite a few bike riders seemed to have difficulty seeing the line in the middle of the road though, can be a bit hairy when you are confronted by a bike on the wrong side of the road and nowhere to go!