Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart. View Post
    3km/hr over the limit :mad: (Is that correct Dan?)

No.

It's 4km/h. They give you the three. Generous aren't they.

Car manufacturers are allowed up to 10% +/- on the speedo. Lots of people get camera fines knowing the camera was there and believing they were on the limit.:mad:

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

some bloody Mazda "we know better than you" crap
    We hired a car in NZ a few years ago, some Japanese import thing, can't remember what it was. It had these chimes installed in it that jingled when you went faster than 100kph. Bloody annoying when you're driving on the motorway. Had to turn the radio up!

Quote Originally Posted by DanP View Post
    The hoon element are by far the most heavily policed portion of road users. Anything we can get on them is booked. They would make up 70% of my work. Don't go on your perception of what we do because you really have no idea.

Dan
    Good on you for getting the hoons where you live. They have been reported to the police in our area, and not a single hoon has been caught in our area yet. They are all Uni students and have eyes that can see when the police are araound. I wonder why the police do not do something innovative to catch them in the act? Once again - they are busy revenue raising elsewhere. The police actually think they are stupid. Well - guess what.
    By the way, I generally do NOT speed and am a very safe driver. What the hoons are doing is way past the speed thing. It is downright reckless and outrageous - AND they get away with it. We have had numerous fatal accidents in Perth where this sort of behaviour is to blame, and the all the police point out, is the speed. They need to look at the total picture. Personally I do not believe that kids should be getting a drivers licence (albeit a P plate) at the age of 17. They cannot think straight at that age. They have hormone problems at that age. You cannot drive under such circumstances. Driver training also leaves a lt to be desired. It is way below standard at the driving schools - in Perth anyway.
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    Tailgating should be a criminal offence. Bring on the death penalty.:eek:

Death penalty....too good for those miscreants. they should have their cars confiscated and their eyeballs removed with red hot pokers!:eek:

So the fact that I got my full licence (motorcycle and car) at 15 then must give you the cold willies.

Think we were more mature back then......in NZ
    Can't say the same from what I see of the modern Australian kid (even those here at the Uni).

Tried to do an online insurance assessment recently. It asked for my DOB and how long I've had my licence. Stupid site rejected my info as "not being possible".
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I dunno, maybe kids aren't as mature these days as we were. I drove my first tractor at 6. My son is 12 months off that and I can't imagine him being able to do it. Could be something in the diet maybe? But then he can whip my @rse on the playstation, so figure that one out... :confused:

Stupid site rejected my info as "not being possible".
    That’s because you entered New Zealand as your country of origin.

Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    When the youngsters hoon around, only a small fraction are caught because the authorities are too busy catching the sitting ducks with cameras and laser guns speeding at a dangerous 7km/hr over the limit
    Don't know about that Les, in NSW at any rate. I travel fairly regularly on the F3 north of Sydney, and notice that the people driving at dangerous speeds (not just a couple of km/h over the limit) and lane surfing are not just 'young hoons'. 'Geriatrics' (I guess I fall into that class) are just as well represented.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

That's why I added the percentage of population, and also factored in vehicles per capita.

So why criticise something that has been taken care of 3 posts later :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Youre right..so you did. On a slow link out here in the Timor Sea...scrolling back through the forum takes ages.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Either they read but don't understand or they skip half the posts.

Peter.
    Guilty as charged me Lud......see earlier post
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    That anybody could design it like that in the first place is a joke. .
    You havent driven around Vic too much then I take it?

In the western part of Vic there are literally 1000's of intersections persactly the same as the one where these ppl died.

When you approach them, you have have your wits about you.

Al :eek:

A few weeks ago on foreign correspondant (channel 2) they showed the chinese having driving lessons for a licence.

They had to spend hours driving backwards and forward in first and reverse gear through witchs' hats and if they could do that they got their licence.

Just imagine a flock of them getting out on the road together and then getting up to speed, no wonder the death rate is so high there.

The big problem with the police and bad/idiot drivers is that there aren't not enough police putting in enough hours on traffic duties.

This isn't a criticism of police, its a criticism of US for not chestpoking our tossers (I mean pollies) to get more cops.

Example:
    One of my (many) current pet hates in driving is people driving with their driving lights on...... they are bloody FOG lights you idiots :mad: .
    The glare peeves me off and 1/2 the tossers have too high rated bulbs and have them focused up as per normal low beams, dazzling me at night.
    The coppers don't pull these idiots over.... cause there aren't enought cops and they have to prioritise on the important stuff.

BTW, 12 years of driving and I've never lost a point off my licence.... we had a traffic accident copper come along with a photo album to where I did my drivers course. Enough photo's of the dead bodies in, and tangled up with, vehicles and I decided to take a bit of care.

Maybe a little reality needs to be injected into young people's heads... so they don't end up mangling themselves so guys like DanP have to clean up their mess.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

One thing I have noticed (DanP may confirm this for me) is that I have been followed by TMU on a number of occassions whilst towing a horse float, well within the speed limit and not doing anything silly.
    I am under the impression that my large outfit provides a cover for the marked car that is sitting behind me to 'nab' errant motorists travelling the opposite direction.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    A few weeks ago on foreign correspondant (channel 2) they showed the chinese having driving lessons for a licence.

They had to spend hours driving backwards and forward in first and reverse gear through witchs' hats and if they could do that they got their licence.

Just imagine a flock of them getting out on the road together and then getting up to speed, no wonder the death rate is so high there.
    There was something similar televised about a year or so ago on South Korea. There learners are ONLY allowed to drive/practice within a specified compound. If they don't knock down too many cones, and can slot into clearly defined bays they get their licence - and can then go out on public roads (for the very first time!) - and wreak mayhem!

Hell of a system :mad: