Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    this gun talk is good and all but what if you are unarmed at the time...that's were 'steal hand" comes in handy, (not a myth), imagine being able to hit so fast (about 8+ punches per second)and so hard that one punch will cause massive internal dammage to the attacker...

brutal...
    La Huerta,

Just my 10 yens worth on this one....

From my experience being able to hit fast can only be achieved by sacrificing the power in the punch.....the young guns in the dojo I frequent are fast but their punches lack power. The older boys (not necessarily including myself here) hit alot slower but when they make contact....ouch!!

When you quote 8 punches a second it sounds fast but in most martial arts fast punches are done with both hands working alternately in quick succession....I reckon some of the kids in my dojo could get fairly close to that speed with their punches.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

And my two bobs worth, if your ever in a actual situation where you need to use force - either gun, knife, hands whatever - then I can guarantee you never want to be in that situation again. I often think that those that romantise self defence (in any form) have never been in a situation where they needed to actually do it. Because the reality of violent situations is that they are nerve wracking, terrifying, sickening and unwanted.

:eek:
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak
    Because the reality of violent situations is that they are nerve wracking, terrifying, sickening and unwanted.

Mine wasn't, just didn't have time to consider what to do, just became instinctive, no fear or any other feeling at the time, knees went to jelly about three hours later after the andrenalin subsided.
    I wasn't frightened, scared, feeling heroic, in fact I felt absolutely nothing, even the knife wound didn't hurt.....................at the time.
    If you are expecting a confrontation I suspect this would all be different.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

And my two bobs worth, if your ever in a actual situation where you need to use force - either gun, knife, hands whatever - then I can guarantee you never want to be in that situation again. I often think that those that romantise self defence (in any form) have never been in a situation where they needed to actually do it. Because the reality of violent situations is that they are nerve wracking, terrifying, sickening and unwanted.

Aaaaamen to the above.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo
    La Huerta,

Just my 10 yens worth on this one....

From my experience being able to hit fast can only be achieved by sacrificing the power in the punch.....the young guns in the dojo I frequent are fast but their punches lack power. The older boys (not necessarily including myself here) hit alot slower but when they make contact....ouch!!

When you quote 8 punches a second it sounds fast but in most martial arts fast punches are done with both hands working alternately in quick succession....I reckon some of the kids in my dojo could get fairly close to that speed with their punches.

Cheers Martin
    unfortunatly they don't teach spring power in the dojo's infact only a few people actually know it, and it has the ability to hit at at speed from any angle with a force like you'v never felt before, if getting hit by a normal person is like behing hit by a stick and a top martial artist hits like a brick, then with spring power it's like being hit by a massive sledge hammer...and with hands so fast they become invisible...cool hey...
    Hurry, slowly

sorry i did'nt mean to get so serious about all this...

lets all try and avoid voilence in the first place, if you do get into a situation where an attacter may want kill you, just hit the bloke as hard as you can and do not stop, screem , yell , kick, go loco loco ,make him absolutly affraid of you...even if you can't hit a fly in an outhouse...he's not to no that...

this is just theory of cause and i don't take any responsibility for your attempts to fool the bad guy, if you wind up dead , don't come crying to me..
    Hurry, slowly

And my two bobs worth, if your ever in a actual situation where you need to use force - either gun, knife, hands whatever - then I can guarantee you never want to be in that situation again. .... Because the reality of violent situations is that they are nerve wracking, terrifying, sickening and unwanted.
    The above is true, true, true.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Namtrak is correct, no matter how good you think you are. Likewise Midge is correct, the best way of defending yourself is running away - I used to always preach that at my classes.

Martial arts is more than just learning how to fight though. It teaches confidence, control, ethics and a lot more - it can be a way of life. My proudest moments relate to young students that improved their marks at school through the confidence in themselves, not actually learing how to fight better.

As for speed, you must always remember, sooner or later you will meet someone that is better then you. The people I worried most about were the beginners, they were so unpredictable. As beginners you sometimes let your guard down. On the other hand, one of my old instructors was a weight lifter and hit like a mac truck. Mind you, he was still so fast that I usually blocked his punches on the way back from my head

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei
    Namtrak is correct, no matter how good you think you are. Likewise Midge is correct, the best way of defending yourself is running away - I used to always preach that at my classes.

Martial arts is more than just learning how to fight though. It teaches confidence, control, ethics and a lot more - it can be a way of life. My proudest moments relate to young students that improved their marks at school through the confidence in themselves, not actually learing how to fight better.

As for speed, you must always remember, sooner or later you will meet someone that is better then you. The people I worried most about were the beginners, they were so unpredictable. As beginners you sometimes let your guard down. On the other hand, one of my old instructors was a weight lifter and hit like a mac truck. Mind you, he was still so fast that I usually blocked his punches on the way back from my head

Cheers

yes better to avoid voilence in the first place ...

but as you say , apart from a few ego minded wankers around, martial arts is something one learns for the reason that it's just so damm fasinating to watch your body become capable of things beyond what was though to be possible, build confidence, awareness and understanding of one's self...and lots of good fun...

have a peachy day
    Hurry, slowly

While at work at jail yesterday we saw a couple of silly bints on the TV demonstrating 'self defence' against a bloke dressed in a padded suit. We wondered how well they'd go against a real crim who was actually using force instead of a compliant demo bloke who wasn't struggling...

Bit dangerous I thought, makes people think that they can disarm and disable someone with a few simple twists that they saw on TV...

My weapon of choice is a Trend T5 router with a 25mm straight cutter......if I get stopped by the police I just tell them Im on the way to a Woodies meet and Greet.

I could tell a few stories about 'martial arts experts' and how they have come off in real world situations; got enough experience to see a pretty clear trend. A lot of people confuse training 'experience' with real world ability though.
    To me the benefits to someones mental space achieved through practicing a martial arts speaks volumes about that person.
    What happened to that person to have them be able to gain self confidence by thinking that they are good at beating up other people? Sounds like a few unresolved issues are hanging around.

To me, if an issue is that important that you have to go the knucks, then there is no point in loosing. Either run, or find a big stick. Or pretend it is all ok, and pay a later visit.

As for the "silly bints" ... never listen to someone on this issue who hasn't got the scars to lend authority.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1
    I could tell a few stories about 'martial arts experts' and how they have come off in real world situations; got enough experience to see a pretty clear trend. A lot of people confuse training 'experience' with real world ability though.
    To me the benefits to someones mental space achieved through practicing a martial arts speaks volumes about that person.
    What happened to that person to have them be able to gain self confidence by thinking that they are good at beating up other people? Sounds like a few unresolved issues are hanging around.

To me, if an issue is that important that you have to go the knucks, then there is no point in loosing. Either run, or find a big stick. Or pretend it is all ok, and pay a later visit.

As for the "silly bints" ... never listen to someone on this issue who hasn't got the scars to lend authority.
    I think you are mixing up those who think they are experts, and those who really are. Those I consider experts have no problems. Most of those have usually studies many styles, been bouncers, and fought in the ring. I have done all those, but have never considered myself anywhere near an expert.

Unresolved issues - yes you are right in some ways, a lot of people do have unresolved issues. Martial arts is not however, just about learning how to beat up people, a misconception by many. The "book of five rings" is a book based on martial arts, but is studied by the majority of successfull business men in Japan, and a lot of other countries. It is a lot about expanding that mental space in many ways.

I love your last 2 para's though, all true.
    Neil

those who do martial arts for the sole purpose of wanting to fight someone has serious mental problems , i know a few famous business men (as well as regular joes) who do ku-fu , and do it because they enjoy it and never ever fight, it's just a special thing and helps there mental ability in there work and goals in life...
    Hurry, slowly

Yeah, I dropped out years ago, but even back in the day it was never about bashing people. Aikido particularly (being a throwing style) emphasises that it's important to train so that you have the ability not to injure your opponent (or sustain injury), i.e. to be fit enough to fight until your opponent is exhausted, and skilful enough to defend yourself without causing harm, if you so choose.

The best thing, I agree, is to avoid hassles in the first place. I'm definitely no hero, but I hope that I picked up enough to keep my wits about me when I'm out and to not go to pieces if something untoward does occur- at least I'll remember which direction to run in!

Anyway 'martial arts" is a broad label. Everything from ancient Chinese battlefield styles to "soft" chi-developing forms that have nothing to do with combat are included.

Night, all.
    Rusty.
    The perfect is the enemy of the good.