Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dean View Post
    Except that:
    1. Captains have been told they have to report Racial Vilification
    Yeah but they're big boys surely they can sort it out between themselves.
    Racism is ugly and needs to be stamped out.
    Agreed but when people are provoked through any type of sledging some react in an extreme manner not usually within their character which may or may not be the case here.

If you continually badger me about something you're gonna get a mouthful of something I might not mean but will say to get across the point I'm not happy. This is the aim of the Aussies when they sledge opposition players to unsettle them to the point of a reaction and when they get the reaction they run off to the umpire, it's about time they grew up and took it on the chin like those they dole it out to.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Breaking news

Jelena Dokic has signed on for the Australian Open play-off.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    it's about time they grew up and took it on the chin like those they dole it out to.

HH.
    Agree with everything you are saying, except when its racist. Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

You have to remember that cheating, lying, protesting ... any form of trying to take advantage ... is a way of life in India.

Do you know any tertiary education lecturers? Ask them what happens as soon as an Indian student fails an assignment or examination.

Call their bluff. Let them take their bat(s) and ball(s) and go home if they wish.

I think that it is worth remembering that the ref who dealt with this is Mike Proctor, a man whose cricket career was terminated because he represented South Africa. If anyone knows what is racist and what a destructive force racism can be, it is Mike Proctor. He is totally unfazed by all this: Proctor.

As for the "dobbing" accusation against Ponting - the ICC told captains to do this so that the ICC could show that they were not going to tolerate racism. Harbhajan did the crime, he should do the time. If someone else has done the same or a similar crime, they should do time too.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    Yeah but they're big boys surely they can sort it out between themselves.
    HH.
    No because then the ICC isn't aware of what has happened, and when you get a repeat offender there is no record of those previous offences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    You have to remember that cheating, lying, protesting ... any form of trying to take advantage ... is a way of life in India.

Do you know any tertiary education lecturers? Ask them what happens as soon as an Indian student fails an assignment or examination.

Call their bluff. Let them take their bat(s) and ball(s) and go home if they wish.

Bit xenophobic isn't it?

All English people are soccer hooligans?

All Australians are beer swilling hoons in stubbies and thongs?

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo
    • the umpires should get the boot as they can't see for quids

Ponting has lost it.

• Australia have long been too arrogant

• Australia are well known for sledging, so now that they're getting their own back - tough titties

India are being badly treated
    What really gets me is that Australia are VISIBLY CHEATING it's absolutely clear on the videos shown on the media, yet they STILL win that's NOT right .

To top THAT off the people interviewed on the Andrew Simmonds incident AGREED that he sould NOT walk.

On the tv survey, 71% voted that Simmonds did the RIGHT thing. That's 71% that AGREE with CHEATING AND DISHONESTY.

The Australian team are degrading themselves and bringing the game of cricket down. To use an old phrase...

"It's just not cricket!"

*IF* Australia win another match and make it an unbroken 17 matches in a row (a new record) THIS match will always be remembered and the Aussies will ALWAYS be thought of in wonder, people will wonder if the Aussies could have done the same by playing HONESTLY - BY THE RULES!

In MY book the Aussies are just cheats at cricket and MY personal opinion of the team has reached an all time low.
    Kind Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    To top THAT off the people interviewed on the Andrew Simmonds incident AGREED that he sould NOT walk.

On the tv survey, 71% voted that Simmonds did the RIGHT thing. That's 71% that AGREE with CHEATING AND DISHONESTY.
    So using the logic that if you hit it and don't walk you are cheating because you know you are out, then equally if like Ponting, you hit it into your pads and are then given out LBW, you shouldn't go because you know you are not out.

If a batsman has to accept the umpires bad calls of out against him, then it is only fair that they can also take advantage of an umpires bad calls in his favour

It is up to the umpire to say whether you are out, not up to the player to confirm it for him.

As a kid I can remember batsmen being given 'not out' and walking anyway.

That is sportsmanship, and leaves a strong impression on kids. I shudder to think what kids are learning from this.

Couple of things about this, to my way of thinking anyway, the Indians are more upset about losing the match, hence the series, due to some questionable umpiring decisions. Rightly or wrongly, they copped the brunt of what can go either way in any match, and not just in cricket. Their reaction to the outcome of the 'racial vilification' incident is just the straw that broke the camels back, and I doubt they would have spat the dummy about losing one player if they had won the match. Maybe the umpiring decisions need more video checking if disputed, but leave it all up to them (as in walking or not walking, or dubious catches being 'verified' by the captain). Let the umpires do the job they're paid to do, as is the case in every other sport, but their performances should be monitored.
    About the sledging, I personally think its an excellent weapon on the field, and one that Australian's have used to great effect for a long time. Some of it can be pretty funny, in fact an old mate of mine in Perth who was a captain of a grade team and an extremely witty guy, reckons some of the funniest things he ever heard were said on the field...obviously aimed at the opposition with one intention, to unsettle them. Maybe other cultures don't take the p*ss as much as Poms and Aussies.
    I'm sure racial taunts are/were part of that, but no longer acceptable, so perhaps its time to move on. The ICC see it as their mission to stamp it out, so every team needs to abide by the same rules. However, IMO, comments like monkey and curry muncher aren't really racist, not in the same league as life affecting racism (I mean hanging negroes for relations with a white gal, or refusing employment on basis of colour). They are just comments that we have all copped somewhere in our lives that we turn our back on. And in the time honoured tradition of sledging they don't rate... not funny, no intelligence required, just attempted insults from someone that can't think of anything better. Get over it!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Tell us more Mr Righteous.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    As a kid I can remember batsmen being given 'not out' and walking anyway.

That is sportsmanship, and leaves a strong impression on kids. I shudder to think what kids are learning from this.
    It's no longer sport...it is big business, a huge moneymaking venture for all involved, with players careers on the line. Walk after a first ball snick and your career could be over or stay and make 100 and get a new contract for next year valued at $400,000, and an extra $5-600,000 in endorsements.

What do 99.75% of players do...they stay.

Gilchrist is the only player that comes to mind who has recently walked...and he doesn't do it all the time, only when he thinks he hit it, and he has been shown to snick them and not walk, and get away with it.

Walking only puts more pressure on an umpire...Was that a snick? No couldn't have been, this guy walks, must be not out!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Hi

What really gets me is that Australia are VISIBLY CHEATING it's absolutely clear on the videos shown on the media, yet they STILL win that's NOT right .

*IF* Australia win another match and make it an unbroken 17 matches in a row (a new record) THIS match will always be remembered and the Aussies will ALWAYS be thought of in wonder, people will wonder if the Aussies could have done the same by playing HONESTLY - BY THE RULES!

In MY book the Aussies are just cheats at cricket and MY personal opinion of the team has reached an all time low.
    Please point out any rules that have been broken. Australia has played within the rules. The Indians can pack up their bat and ball and go home for all i care. It looks like a big case of sour grapes to me and they are trying to salvage something back home. If they lose 3 straight the Indian fans will be burning effegies of their own players.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

It's no longer sport...it is big business, a huge moneymaking venture for all involved, with players careers on the line. Walk after a first ball snick and your career could be over or stay and make 100 and get a new contract for next year valued at $400,000, and an extra $5-600,000 in endorsements.

What do 99.75% of players do...they stay.

Gilchrist is the only player that comes to mind who has recently walked...and he doesn't do it all the time, only when he thinks he hit it, and he has been shown to snick them and not walk, and get away with it.

Walking only puts more pressure on an umpire...Was that a snick? No couldn't have been, this guy walks, must be not out!
    No news in there Geoff. I don't follow the cricket or football any more for precisely those reasons. It used to be that cricket was a test of character and skill, hence it being called a gentlemen's game. Now, like other sports, there is nothing noble about it, it is just a grubby scramble for cash, not something you would want kids to role model themselves from.