Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I would just like someone to finish (or help me finish) my Porsche 356 for me. I've been working on it for 8 or 9 years so far!! For reference, it is a '57 "A" Coupe, matching body numbers, and '58 Normal motor with Big Bore and twin Webers. Quite quick but needs a pro paint job, new interior and the gearbox overhauled.

One of the most beautiful cars ever designed!

Here is my inspiration:

Regards from Perth

Derek

very nice derek

PS When we have money to burn (read in a thousand years) I would love an M5 or a Carrera, but I think even then I would be reluctant spending the money on that
    You can never have enough planes, that is why Mr Stanley invented the 1/2s

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen
    I would just like someone to finish (or help me finish) my Porsche 356 for me. I've been working on it for 8 or 9 years so far!! For reference, it is a '57 "A" Coupe, matching body numbers, and '58 Normal motor with Big Bore and twin Webers. Quite quick but needs a pro paint job, new interior and the gearbox overhauled.

One of the most beautiful cars ever designed!

Here is my inspiration:

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Too bad that we are on opposite sides of the country, once again. I had a nice silver '59 coupe a few years ago. Well, nice after I spent a couple of years on it. I feel your pain. Have you got the motor finished? I used to have a 9.6:1 compression ratio, but I wouldn't want to try that without a lot of lead in the fuel. Peppy, but always flirting with a #1 piston meltdown.

Greg

Hi Greg

Yes, motor is done, electrics are done, bodywork is 90% done (just want to redo the front skirting area. There is still some bog there from previous repairs. I have done all the panel work myself). The gearbox needs a new syncro for 2nd gear, but generally needs a total overhaul, and I cannot do that). I drive it a couple of times each month to keep the juices going.

It is an ex-Sacramento car that I picked up quite cheaply in Perth (it had just arrived in the country and was not going). It had lane in storage for 15 plus years but, luckely this was in the desert air and had minimal rust - still has the orginal floors, although I did have to replace the longitudinals (is there a 356 of this vintage around with their original longitudinals?). The "A" is THE classic 356 for most, a little less comfortable than the more modern B or C, but it has the looks (in my opinion).

What happened to yours?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek...

Mine was an original Melbourne car, had the usual rust repairs. I bought it after a cam follower disaster, but the body had just been done. I fixed up the interior, although it was pretty nice/original. The gearbox I had done here, but I did the engine myself, with a big bore kit and Delorto carbs. I visited Harry Pellow in San Jose to get parts and the engine ended up looking like one of his.

I loved that car, but it went the way of all sports cars (along with my '73 RS) when I met my now wife. Now I drive an indestructible, reliable, worthless 17 year old Accord to work.

I liked the 'A' cars best too. The later cars were on a different path, a detour from the line that joins the 550 Spyder to the RS. I do like 12 volt electricals, however.

Greg

Hi again Greg

A '73 RS! You have very good taste. I am very impressed. That would my pick of all the 911s. Unfortunately, one vintage car at a time is all I can cope with - too many toys ..

I had a 17 year-old Accord once. Damn thing wouldn't die. I am not really much of a motor head. I don't spend much time dreaming of many cars (although a '59 Convertible D would be very nice ). I tend to keep my cars until they fall apart on me. I'm not very fashion-conscious. My last few cars have been SAABs, the previous once a 900 Aero (very quick and too many speeding tickets!) and the current one is the Last Real SAAB made, a '93 900i. Last year I was considering (with my wife urging me on) an Audi TT (well, the designer did base it on the 356), but I am too attached to my old SAAB, and it runs well (touch wood). It has the largest luggage area of any car I know - gets in all my windsurfing gear, which is important in summer. I love its quirky looks. Next year...?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yeah, I peaked with that RS. Anything else is less, in my mind. In the mid-80's in California I was in the car scene, had access to BMW Z-1's, hot 930's, a Delorean, and very briefly a BB 512 Ferrari. That Boxer was a fine piece, too.

Now I go to the local dealers to look because there's whispering about the '89 Accord. I keep forgetting to be impressed though.
    The payments on the Honda are, with maintenance, about $4.95/week.

Maybe its because I'm getting too stiff to fold all 6' 6" of me into fun cars anymore. I'd like to have one more blast down an autobahn in a an Alpine or even an old DeTomaso My wife says that a sports car for me would be false advertising. i wonder what that means?:confused:

Best,

Greg

An MG TD or TF, for fun, as long as I could park it in a secure garage everywhere I went. I quite like my diesel Pug 406, turbo so goes quite quickly, French badged (although made in Coventry) so no one wants to pinch it and so comfortable that I can drive from Narromine to Sydney only stopping to pee! Pulls the TS with no trouble - great torque. (A 407 would be nice)
    Cheers
    Graeme