Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ian007
    ... Mick said that he has a generator, so he should be able to run some gear like fridges ect.
    Fridges? DOn't you mean power tools... Oh wait a second, now I get it.

Fire up the chainsaw, procure some of that "specially felled" lumber and after all of that (and a bit of cleaning up the yard) you NEED a cold beer...

Thus, the fridge I guess - especially in Northern Qld.

Cam

ps Seriously: I hope that everyone is well (and Womble's roof stayed where it should).

Just got home from work and heard the news.

Hope all our fellow members and their friends, family and neighbours etc are all Ok.
    Neil

I just rang Cliff's office in Cairns and everything is OK. His shed in the Tablelands suffered a bit of damage due to a tree falling.

Cliff was away when it all happened but he will be back this afternoon and no doubt he will fill us all in with the details.
    - Wood Borer

we've got power back where we are here in Cairns but lots of areas in Cairns are still out, Innisfail and the Tablelands will be out for much longer I suspect, the tablelands has lines down everywhere and lots of trees are down too. Many of the main roads are just being cleared now, I havent been able to get up to work for 2 days now (Lotus Glen prison) as all the range roads have been blocked.

We got a lot of wind here in Cairns, but Innisfail and the Tablelands got a real flogging. My parents place which adjoins our house block at Lake Eacham has suffered extensive tree loss, we had hundreds of natives and exotics which are either knocked down or badly damaged. I havent seen it yet and am not looking forward to either as these trees have been planted and grown over the last 25 years or so. I would rather go there and help clean up then go to work for the rest of the week, but don't like my chances. Luckily we didn't get a lot of rain here in Cairns but the tablelands did. The place we are in at the moment was lucky, we were pretty sheltered and the only real damage was some bottlebrush branches falling across the clothesline.

I'm still disgusted by many people in Cairns who went for 'sunday drives' yesterday to rubberneck at the damage done, our street has never been busier and I watched cars going by filled with parents and children having a stickybeak. Despite repeated warnings from police, radio and electricity providers to stay at home due to danger from downed power lines, no traffic lights etc etc.

On the good side however our house we relocated still has its roof!! I don't know how, although I suspect being on the sheltered side of the hill for much of the cyclone saved it. Very happy about that, I thought it was a goner for sure!!!

Glad to hear you all came out of it without too much damage - especially that there were no fatalaties.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Yes, your bad news reached the UK, pleased to hear your OK.

The US are predicting some severe weather on our news today, and they are practising evacuation plans for N.Y.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I was just chatting with the neighbours on Mclean Rd up at Lake Eacham and it took a group of them with 9 chainsaws and 2 tractors most of the day to clear enough trees to be able to get out of the street!! They hold little hope of getting any power within the fortnight. And, funnily enough, they reckon they are well off given the plight on the coast.

Cheers
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Their lines must be working though, unless they are on battery?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Well I'm pleased that everyone, especially the ones i know up there seem to have gotten through it ok, ive got a hand of bananas im thinking of putting on ebay, starting price $50.00

Doug just got me thinking about bananas.
    Apparently they may rise in price by as much as 400%
    Why is this so.
    All the banana crops have been destroyed.
    Therefore wholesalers and green grocers are raising the price on bananas that they have purchased before the cyclone at the normal prices.

Profiteering on the back of a natural disaster:confused:

Perhaps if the price went up and the extra profits went to those affected it would be tolerable.

Glad to hear all is well up there, I hope the next one turns around and heads back out to sea.

Cheers, Jack
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Jack,

If you were the retailer have you thought, how are you going to buy the next bunch of bananas to sell if you have not got the higher price already covered. The primary supplier wants the new price and you have sold at the old lower price so you do not have the money to buy in new stock.
    Glad I'm retired fuel is going to get a problem.
    woody U.K.

and waht makes yer think that the big 2 (Woolies & Coles) won't import bananas and sell em at an over the top price.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default Bananas

....at the moment, no-one is allowed to import bananas into Australia. The banana growers have convinced the government that there is a quarantine issue. But if there is a banana shortage, you may see the quarantine issue disappear

Everyone can just have a break from Bannanas and eat apples and oranges for a while.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by TARLOX
    Everyone can just have a break from Bannanas and eat apples and oranges for a while.
    green apples!!! not red ones..

hope all up north is ok...(get good advice from up there )
    S T I R L O