Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

.22's do seem to ricochet a lot. However they do have a lot going for them though, mainly that they are cheap as dirt to buy and shoot. The Marlin 60 is a fun little gun and very quite accurate as well. What you might do is get a light high speed hollow point that would breakup upon impact with anything.

Another caliber you might consider is the .17 Its rather new but I've heard a lot of good things about it as a varmint caliber.

.410 is a good choice.

A 12ga is a lot of gun for dispatching bunnies, hard on the ears and shoulder as well. A bit on the overkill side IMO.

There are a lot of airguns on the market that would more than dispatch a rabbit, but the trouble with them is they are usually single shot spring guns that need to be loaded and recocked every time which, if you have a lot of bunnies, might get tiring. But if you are just shooting one or two at a time this would work. There are quite a few on the market though that will push a .177 hollow point pellet at 1000fps+.

Here's my latest little toy I picked up over the weekend at the Wanenmacher's gun show. 30/30 so it would be a bit much for bunny hunting though.
    Attachment 42981
    Last edited by Wood Butcher; 2nd April 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Fix attachment

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt88s View Post
    Here's my latest little toy I picked up over the weekend at the Wanenmacher's gun show. 30/30 so it would be a bit much for bunny hunting though.
    I had one of them once, but mine had an octogon barrel.

I've got 11 acres. Are they likely to give me a hunting license with a property that size?
    Grunt...as far as I remember in NSW if you use pest control as a"genuine reason" to own a firearm you needed a property of more than 20 acres. I could be wrong.
    Theoretically your laws should be the same in VIC...however from experience they usually are'nt. So much for Little Johns "uniform gun laws"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt88s View Post
    .The Marlin 60 is a fun little gun and very quite accurate as well. What you might do is get a light high speed hollow point that would breakup upon impact with anything.
    Unfortunately we Aussies are no longer allowed to own such dangerous guns as the leathal 22 semi auto

cheers
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand View Post
    An OCTOgon barrel. Is that so you can kill 8 people at once.
    Ok people, lets not go down this road again, please.

Keep it on topic.

Al

Grunt,

A .22 will cover the 700 metres in about a second or two. Get a Shotgun, use a reasonably small shot and always shoot on a downward trajectory and you wont bother the neighbours with anything but noise. Best practice is to not shoot in the direction of any house/person that you can see, regardless of distance. You don't want to be that bloke in the paper (or coroners inquest) saying 'I didn't think an SG would go that far'.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

.30cal target rifle. (Single shot bolt-action, unfortunately.)

Only ever took a couple of pot shots at 300 yards with peep sights, but made one hell of a mess out of the bunnies.
    'What the mind of man can conceive, the hand of a toolmaker can achieve.'
    Owning a GPX250 and wanting a ZX10 is the single worst experience possible. -Aside from riding a BMW, I guess.