Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  73
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

LOL. Yeah, I know. We share similar work cultures.

The blessing of decent super is that it gives us choices.
    Cheers, Ern

hi Bob
    The retirement plans sound great, I am in another corner of the same industry as you and have made several retirement speeches for friends and colleagues in the last little while. I enjoy doing it when they have ideas about what they are going to do but dread it when I hear the have a rest and travel story...Killed my father in law.

I will be able to start a countdown soon myself. I have lots of plans!

Enjoy.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by TheNutter View Post
    hi Bob
    The retirement plans sound great, I am in another corner of the same industry as you and have made several retirement speeches for friends and colleagues in the last little while. I enjoy doing it when they have ideas about what they are going to do but dread it when I hear the have a rest and travel story...Killed my father in law.

I will be able to start a countdown soon myself. I have lots of plans!
    I have lots of plans but I get a lot of satisfaction of doing things with no specific pathway. I might start out making X and then realize I need a Y but I convince myself I'm not paying the big green warehouse for it so I start making Y and then realize I need a Z and then work on that for a while, meanwhile A has rears its head again and that needs a B and while I'm at it I might as well make a C etc . . . . Before I know it I'm making a D and have completely forgotten about X.

Well, I worked my final shift today.
    Thank Chr^st it's over.
    Now I have to get used to the idea of doing what I want to ALL the time
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Well, I worked my final shift roday.
    Thank Chr^st it's over.
    Now I have to get use to the idea of doing what I want to ALL the time
    Keep on dreamin'

Today the staff held a lunch where some nice things were said about me.

There is also a tradition of giving crazy gifts to long terms staff members and having done it to others I had to suffer, but it was not too painful.

The gifts were;
    - a "4 kb magnetic core USB memory stick" from the first (1966) Departmental computer. Thousands of little ferrite cores threaded with fine wires.
    - the keys to the Department Mechanical workshop on a giant key fob (I have a habit of losing keys) made out of a Kingswood hubcap and some chain.
    The other guy in the photo is Glen, the lab manager - top bloke.

Kingswood.jpg

Freeze a jolly good fellow
    etc etc.
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Today the staff held a lunch where some nice things were said about me.
    days to go

or

days to GOLF

Enjoy the winding down

So who actually owns the BCs?
    you? the missus? one of the kids?
    or are they to entertain the grandkids?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Yep two days to go!

RE: GOLF
    Each to their own I guess but not really my scene at all - personally I think of doing any "sport" as lost shed time

I've basically wound things up at work and am down to just answering a few questions each day and packing up my office.

The BCs are "ours" but I take the older one, "Willow", for her walks and sheep dog training - Skye has just turned 13 weeks so can't go for walks yet. I also feed both of them, and pick up the doggy doos. SWMBO does the vet and buys the pet food. Last year we did Willow's agility training together and will probably do the same again this year - not a very even split of duties from what I can see, but I don't mind because they keep me active.

2 days
    I remember being where you are now, was about two and a half years ago now
    all these trepidations about leaving a workforce where you like and get on with most people
    Management was a pain and fairly instrumental in me deciding to go. The stress of dealing with them was not good for for my blood pressure.
    That along with a life threatening illness in a close colleague the same age as me. Made me consider mortality

I still see some of my ex collegues for lunch etc which is good.

Free time
    hmm wonder what that is but than I've a youngish family who need me to take them places - retirement has allowed me to do that.
    Has been good and my friends say I'm more relaxed than they can remember.

SWMBO decided that I needed something other than the radio to talk with and got me a job. So now I'm on contract and do about 5 hours a week. I can just bear it!

Enjoy your retirement Bob, and see you in a couple of weeks.
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Yep two days to go!

The BCs are "ours" but I take the older one, "Willow", for her walks and sheep dog training - Skye has just turned 13 weeks so can't go for walks yet. I also feed both of them, and pick up the doggy doos. SWMBO does the vet and buys the pet food. Last year we did Willow's agility training together and will probably do the same again this year - not a very even split of duties from what I can see, but I don't mind because they keep me active.
    Here Bob
    something for you to stare at tomorrow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

LOL.

In my case my managers undermined me twice in 6 months, and I was managing a unit set up by them and the undermining was right under a core part of its purpose.

So I went to them with a proposal ready for another role cos what staff member is going to believe what you say when your boss folds on a critical issue. And lordy, there was a budget deficit looming overall and they offered me a package. Didn't have to think twice.

Went freelance consulting in the same area; quadrupled my hourly rate, got to do projects I cared about and clients who backed me up.
    Cheers, Ern

Thought I would get in early.

Thanks Guys - much appreciated.

I had a few small lingering regrets developing but the big boss just gave "state of the nation address", which I was too busy to attend, sorting out all those paperclips and fasteners is a big job. One my colleagues just returned from the address with a very blanched face he stopped by my office to give me the 30 second version of what was next on the workplace agenda and all my regrets vanished

Good to go out on your timing Bob.
    Cheers, Ern