Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 15500 Members

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post

When I did the maths after the Friday thread deletions, I calculated (using the reduced number of posts associated with my CP) that I had been guilty of contributing about 10% drivel to 90% not-drivel. A respectiable percentage, but by no means egregious. I think, however, that I can live with a 3%-4% drivel contribution level and will limit myself accordingly.
    Sheeze Bloke did you do your maths right most of us talk rubbish 90% of the time and if we are lucky get 10 % that is worth remembering.

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436 View Post
    Sheeze Bloke did you do your maths right most of us talk rubbish 90% of the time and if we are lucky get 10 % that is worth remembering.

Studley
    We are prolly all in that position to some extent!

But I agree with the Bloke. P'raps the drivel has got out of hand a bit, but one man's witty repartee is another's unmitigated drivel.

However, I don't think that the situation is as bad as some posts have suggested, but nor is it being suggested that drivel is to be banned.

Those of us who like drivel are, at least as I understand 's post, going to be allowed to keep the Friday drivel post, but recognising that it is ephemeral (sometimes I can't work out what's happening if I don't look at it for 2-3 hours!!!), it's going to be closed once Saturday happens and then deleted a week later. Seems reasonable - the Friday drivellers can keep their fun and it won't clog the system with false searches (especially for words like Felder and Hammer, which people might acutally want to use for sensible threads).

At the same time, those who like drivel and drivelling are being asked to restrain their desire to drivel (or engage in competitive drivelling) so that sensible threads don't become difficult to distinguish from the Friday drivel.

All seems fair and reasonable to me and an entirely sensible compromise.

Just a question of exercising a bit of common sense.

So fellow drivellers, let's keep our rapier wit for ourselves (the others can choose not to have their lives enriched by our illuminating observations on the human condition).
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    We are prolly all in that position to some extent!

But I agree with the Bloke. P'raps the drivel has got out of hand a bit, but one man's witty repartee is another's unmitigated drivel.

However, I don't think that the situation is as bad as some posts have suggested, but nor is it being suggested that drivel is to be banned.

Those of us who like drivel are, at least as I understand 's post, going to be allowed to keep the Friday drivel post, but recognising that it is ephemeral (sometimes I can't work out what's happening if I don't look at it for 2-3 hours!!!), it's going to be closed once Saturday happens and then deleted a week later. Seems reasonable - the Friday drivellers can keep their fun and it won't clog the system with false searches (especially for words like Felder and Hammer, which people might acutally want to use for sensible threads).

At the same time, those who like drivel and drivelling are being asked to restrain their desire to drivel (or engage in competitive drivelling) so that sensible threads don't become difficult to distinguish from the Friday drivel.

All seems fair and reasonable to me and an entirely sensible compromise.

Just a question of exercising a bit of common sense.

So fellow drivellers, let's keep our rapier wit for ourselves (the others can choose not to have their lives enriched by our illuminating observations on the human condition).
    Someone finally understands.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Yup. Well said John

Richard

I agree.

The percentage of drivel to meaningful post has changed over the years. Anyone remember pancakes?

The number of posts have increased across the board by a factor of 4 over the past 3 years or so.

So today there is a lot more drivel to deal with. There is also a lot more Wood Turning posts to deal with. There is more of everything. It's the price to pay for having an extremely successful forum.

I think trying to control the drivel will be detrimental to the character of the forums.
    Photo Gallery

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    I can accept, , that this forum is organised and run by the people who own it. I've said here in the past that in the main I like the way it's run. The forum has changed my life for the better, because in my job I don't have an opportunity to speak to many people. This forum therefore allows me access to the attitudes and knowledge of people of my own age.

But a part of me is rankled every time a severe reminder of the tenuousnous of our association with this forum is thrust down the line at us by someone in charge (e.g., "the benevolence is running short"). This message almost always carries with it a reminder that we are non-paying naughty boys hanging on to our positions by a thread (excuse the pun).

Surely a forum like this should function best as an accurate reflection of all of the vagaries: the moods, idiosynchrasies, brilliance, stupidity, knowledge, anger, and so on, that we're all made from. As I said, I avoid the drivel threads becaue the type of humour doesn't suit me, but I acknowledge the rights of the drivellers to drivel. I notice that some of them are members who post knowledgeable messages at other times, and who have been helpful to me and others.

I agree that the drivel should be kept to a single thread, and that it should be identified so that we non-drivelers can avoid it.

I'd also like to suggest that a fund be somehow made available so that members could make voluntary contributions to the running of the forum. I for one would be happy to contribute.
    Ross, you need to think a bit more about what is involved in keeping this forum the happy place you find it.

Being a moderator isn't a power trip, it's just a lot of work and most of it is trying to keep some eejit from ruining the place.

Some people seem to enjoy pushing the limits with their posts and while it might provide some entertainment for them, it makes hard work and angst for those of us trying ensure that you have a community to enjoy.

You seem to take exception to this forum being run by a benevolent dictator - mate, moderating this forum would be a bloody sight easier if we were a lot stricter. For example, instead of answering your post, I could just delete the thing and be done with it - take me about 10 seconds. In fact, interupting my normal reading of the forum with deletions of anything that didn't fit a rigid set of rules would hardly affect me at all. As it is, I spend more time worrying about and addressing the very liberal rules on this forum than I do enjoying being a member.

When I find I'm getting stressed by this place and not getting to participate as a member simply because other members are deliberately pushing the boundaries, I think I'm entitled to feel less inclined towards tolerance. So, rather than complaining about the warnings we're forced by you lot to give from time to time, reflect that someone on the forum is trying to ruin the community we have here while the moderators, instead of enjoying the forum, are working to repair the damage.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Not sure what you mean here Cliff, how does it swamp dialup and why would it disappear with them if they left?....
    Damn... typed a reply & the forum ate it.
    Try again...

The practice of linking to off-site hosted pictures.

If the pics are uploaded with the post as attachments, they are limited to 100k & they have a thumbnail so you can decide if you want to view them.
    If the pics are inserted as a link, they download as soon as you open that page of that thread with that post in it & there is no way of limiting the size of the pictures.
    If the member doesn't maintain the pics at the off-site server, they are then lost to this forum.

There are already some posts in 'The best of the best' that have lost some of the pictures.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining. I wouldn't dare.

My point is there are practices used by some members that swamp a dialup much faster than off-topic remarks.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    Ross, you need to think a bit more about what is involved in keeping this forum the happy place you find it. Being a moderator isn't a power trip, it's just a lot of work and most of it is trying to keep some eejit from ruining the place. Some people seem to enjoy pushing the limits with their posts and while it might provide some entertainment for them, it makes hard work and angst for those of us trying ensure that you have a community to enjoy. You seem to take exception to this forum being run by a benevolent dictator - mate, moderating this forum would be a bloody sight easier if we were a lot stricter. For example, instead of answering your post, I could just delete the thing and be done with it - take me about 10 seconds. In fact, interupting my normal reading of the forum with deletions of anything that didn't fit a rigid set of rules would hardly affect me at all. As it is, I spend more time worrying about and addressing the very liberal rules on this forum than I do enjoying being a member. When I find I'm getting stressed by this place and not getting to participate as a member simply because other members are deliberately pushing the boundaries, I think I'm entitled to feel less inclined towards tolerance. So, rather than complaining about the warnings we're forced by you lot to give from time to time, reflect that someone on the forum is trying to ruin the community we have here while the moderators, instead of enjoying the forum, are working to repair the damage.

Richard
    I would honestly hate to think that the moderators thought that I was against them, Richard. I think that Neil and the moderators do a great job and that we should all be grateful that the forum exists.

Perhaps I might word my concerns a little better. I understand fully that the benchmark for this forum should be that school children access it, and that censorship and moderation should be aimed at only allowing stuff through that is safe for them to view. I think that most of the warnings are directed at members who do push the boundaries, and who are, well, mischevious because of boredom. I think we both agree on that.

What I don't like is being constantly reminded that we're hanging on here by a thread. To use an analogy, it's a little bit like being told by someone over and over that they are going to punch your head in "pretty soon". After a while you'd just think, "come on then, let's get it over with...".

So I make two suggestions: (1) That such threats be more specific than general (i.e., "if you fellows maintain this train of discussion action may be taken"), (2) that some system is established whereby contributions are made so that Neil's financial burden is relieved to an extent, and so that maybe the moderators can receive some renumeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Damn... typed a reply & the forum ate it.
    Try again...

The practice of linking to off-site hosted pictures.

If the pics are uploaded with the post as attachments, they are limited to 100k & they have a thumbnail so you can decide if you want to view them.
    If the pics are inserted as a link, they download as soon as you open that page of that thread with that post in it & there is no way of limiting the size of the pictures.
    If the member doesn't maintain the pics at the off-site server, they are then lost to this forum.

There are already some posts in 'The best of the best' that have lost some of the pictures.
    Ah, I get your point now. There are a lot of those, and it is not limited to the old'n'bold. A lot of people don't post pics properly and don't bother trying new (correct) ways once discover a way to get it in their post.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining. I wouldn't dare.
    That's not helpful Cliff, and clearly what this issue is not about.

My point is there are practices used by some members that swamp a dialup much faster than off-topic remarks.
    This is true, but again, bandwidth is not the issue either. One reason this discussion has gone on so long is because people are reading into it things that are not there, confusing the issue and getting emotional about it.

....That's not helpful Cliff, and clearly what this issue is not about......
    The "I wouldn't dare" statement was a joke Groggy, that is why I put at end of the line. (see my new sig.)

....bandwidth is not the issue either. .....
    It was in the context of the post I was replying to.... see below...
    Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    ...it is not fair on other member who come her to learn to have to wade through loads of rubbish to find constructive info especially those on dial up.
    ...this discussion has gone on so long is because people are reading into it things that are not there, confusing the issue .....
    Yeap, exactly, David made a comment about dail up, I replied to it, you asked for clarification, I replied & then you took my reply out of context.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

The "I wouldn't dare" statement was a joke Groggy, that is why I put at end of the line. (see my new sig.)
    It was in the context of the post I was replying to.... see below...
    Yeap, exactly, David made a comment about dail up, I replied to it, you asked for clarification, I replied & then you took my reply out of context.
    Taken to PMs.