Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    no-one mentioned kemblas Kwik fittings yet

http://www.kembla.com.au/plum_kwikfit.html

easy peasy, fine for behind wall use, and re-useable, reconnectable - best find I ever made in a hardware store!
    Wow, that looks pretty cool alright. I wonder how they work, and how you get them apart again.
    Would sure make my job a lot easier so long as they don't cost the Earth.

This is what all plumbers dread, thats why they make it so you must have a licence to do the job.

With all these new easy push together fittings, life is so much easier for the DIYer.

Al

It may be easier but hell you don't get to play with the pretty flame.

I built a water feature last year with push on fittings - plastic pipes the bloody thing failed after 3 months and I had to demolish and rebuild the thing to replace one elbow. Actually It was only about 3 hrs work but that is three hours I could have spent praying at church or doing other things

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    Wow, that looks pretty cool alright. I wonder how they work, and how you get them apart again.
    Would sure make my job a lot easier so long as they don't cost the Earth.
    they have a little clip that pushes in to create the seal which when removed (takes 2 seconds max) allows the fitting to be removed. I'm from Newcastle which has a reputation for high water pressure, and they have all worked a treat - seems to work by the more pressure there is, the tighter the seal gets - whats that joke about a penguin and blowing a seal?

They are between $5 and 10 each fitting. As Ozwinner notes, plumbers hate them - I asked a plumbing place about them, and the guy said no way was he displaying them, or promoting them, and Bunnings dont seem to deal with kembla at all (or Kembla pipe wont deal with Bunnings perhaps), so you are left with the home Hardware chain pretty much, who usually stock a fair bit of plumbing stuff.

Pawny in S.A. plumbers, builders, etc are only allowed to work up till the boundary of a property. Roads, footpaths, water mains, sewer mains are publicly owned infastructure, I dont think anyone will let you touch it, digging in roads requires proper certification, I dont have it. As far as i know only government water authority contractors are allowed to do it anywhere in this country.
    The back flow i was talking about was in your water supply not sewer, you need to ensure nothing from your water supply can end up in the town water supply.

Celeste Theres nothing stopping you from turning off your water supply and going hulk hogan on you own stuff. But id tee it up with the plumber, ask him to come out first and show you anything he doesnt want you to touch, Get him to start on monday and spend your weekend ripping it out yourself tiles and all , youll save the two days labour for the plumber.

Id rather use Kinco's everywhere than one push fit fitting, they are absolute rubbish.!!!!
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    A 26 year old who knows it all! Who would have thought
    Whereas, of course, a 41 year old REALLY knows it all, eh?

Now, when yer get to be 60........

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    Now, when yer get to be 60........
    You have forgotten it all.
    Now what were we talking about?

Pipe down you young wipper snappers I'm trying to get my rest....

Hey did you like that pipe down .... get it.

I may be old but....I......what was i going to say?

[quote=bricks;459366] Roads, footpaths, water mains, sewer mains are publicly owned infastructure, I dont think anyone will let you touch it, digging in roads requires proper certification, I dont have it. As far as i know only government water authority contractors are allowed to do it anywhere in this country.
    It is different in victoria.Anyone can dig up the footpath or road after obtaining a road opening permit.Most councils (but not all) require proof of public liability ,and possibly a traffic management plan as well before they will issue the permit.The tapping of water mains needs to be done by the authority, but stormwater tappings can be done by anyone.

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by celeste View Post
    Can you also, tell me what order do you use when installing a bath with a brick hob.
    You have to connect the drainage and bed the bath in first, then lay the brickwork around it. If it's framed up in timber then you can build the frame first (with the bath in place), and bed it in before you line the framework.

Tools youll notice i didnt include stormwater in the mix but,,, the storm water infastructure is still publicly owned. In S.A. you can do stormwater under a building liscence, permit, or owner builders can too (average joe's) but in S.A. if you have stormwater in the street you need to aplly to the relevant authority for a connection on your property same as 4 sewer/water and gas.

Just as an example, what if pawny tunnels under the road, ( is he still going to block the road off for OH&S), How does the relevant authority know pawny knows which pipe is storm water ( they not labeled), what happens when pawny hits power, telstra, foxtel, fibreoptic, sewer, fire ect. As a plumber i have done stormwater connections as part of major building works, the relevant authority always help out with this in terms of technical support and they always inspect it. Roads need to be tested to make sure of load ratings compaction etc.

Plus roads are a structural item, they need to be engineered and certified as both safe to protect the services within and adequate for the loads of cars, and at least a 12 ton firetruck.

Yes you may be able to do your own stormwater, Its not plumbing, but i have a very difficult time believing that any person at alll can connect to stormwater mains. the only thing in S.A. you can do is put your stormwater into the gutter and therefore go across footpaths to do it, that's it thats all i can do.
    What happens if pawnys connection method means the connections in front of his are no longer working, the cost to investigate and fix would probably be more than pawny you and I could come up with between us.

Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post
    What happens if pawnys connection method means the connections in front of his are no longer working, the cost to investigate and fix would probably be more than pawny you and I could come up with between us.
    A bit of duck tape will fix it.

Didn't you know? You can do just about anything with a roll of duck tape, a can of WD40 and some barbed wire.

Quote Originally Posted by celeste View Post
    Hi all

A question for the master plumber - is it legal for me to disconnect all the tapes and sinks etc ready for the plumber to move and or reconnect the new gear?

Can you also, tell me what order do you use when installing a bath with a brick hob.

Celeste

Yeah, rip you stuff out it's not illegal, just make sure you tee it up with the plumber first so you dont wreck something. Good way to save money.

Pawnys method above is pretty good. If your using timber make the frame first, youll want about 40 mm minimum of mortar under your bath minimum, use a UFO connector/ bath adaptor. put some bubble wrap in the bath and do the hippy hippy shake for a minute or two this will settle the bath into the mixture nicely, I set the timber low enough that i get villa board and tile under the bath edge. it makes cutting tiles easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    A bit of duck tape will fix it.

Didn't you know? You can do just about anything with a roll of duck tape, a can of WD40 and some barbed wire.
    Some people genuinly think that way, and your trying to tell me that anyone can mess around with public infastructure.

Tools that is why people arnt allowed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post
    I set the timber low enough that i get villa board and tile under the bath edge. it makes cutting tiles easier.
    I set the villaboard under, but I try to get the tiles flush with the edge.