Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    (eh Neil, we need a 'grumpy old bugga' smilie)

Richard
    Any good??

Al

whats wrong with kids these days :

nothing a good flogging wouldnt fix. friggin hippies
    Yup, everyday we should beat everyone who is under 44 years old. Hey we should beat everyone over 45 years old too for they have a lot to answer for leaving the world in such a mess.
    Photo Gallery

Speaking as one who spends his whole working day with the problem age ones, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is nothing wrong with today's kids.
    Everytime I have a student who is a pain in the class, as soon as I meet their parents the question "why is this kid like this?" is answered. The apple never falls very far from the tree.
    I met a kid in the supermarket tonight who used to make my life very difficult and he came up all smiles and handshakes as if we were best buddies. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with kids that ten years or so doesn't fix.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Quote Originally Posted by hovo
    Speaking as one who spends his whole working day with the problem age ones, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is nothing wrong with today's kids.
    Everytime I have a student who is a pain in the class, as soon as I meet their parents the question "why is this kid like this?" is answered. The apple never falls very far from the tree.
    I met a kid in the supermarket tonight who used to make my life very difficult and he came up all smiles and handshakes as if we were best buddies. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with kids that ten years or so doesn't fix.
    Jim

A serious response from me. just for a change.

I'm delighted to see that you, as a teacher, haven't turned into a cynical @rsehole. Well done, you've gone some way to help restore the reputation of your profession in my jaundiced opinion.

Teenagers are always a PITA. They can't help it, it's their function in life. My two, whilst quite different from each other, were each a pain between the ages of say 13 and 19. Fortunately they didn't get into any serious trouble and, looking back with the wonderful benefit of hindsight, they were actually not that bad.

Each of them had, and have, mates who rebelled in a serious way. In each of the cases of serious rebellion that I can quickly bring to mind, you can lay the blame for the kids' behaviour squarely on the shoulders of their parents.

Before the rednecks get started - I know that there are some really bad bastards out there who have parents who are models of probity. I'm talking about the kids I knew and know.

Now, as regards musical taste...... where do these modern kids get off .... assaulting my ears and sensibilities with this droning, repetitive cra@p!!!! :mad:

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

I'd have to say nothing. My kids are better than I ever was. I see some 'bad' kids around, but there has always been a percentage of them. My son is a musician and plays classical in a band, my daughter has eclectic tastes. Maybe I'm lucky since I envy my own kids.

But I think the majority of kids are pretty cool.

Last weekend we had about 20 'kids' (late teens to late 20s) of both genders, from daughter's canoe polo team, descend on us. SWMBO & I went out for the night rather than add to the congestion.

When we returned they were without exception polite, friendly & able to carry on intelligent conversation. The house was tidy, & they are welcome any time again.

These kids are probably representative of most kids their age - I must say my jaundiced eye just got a bit clearer.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Well Im going to be slightly elitist here or so it will seem to some.

What hovo says is so very true.

Where you live will have a huge bearing on what you think of todays kids. For mine in the worst areas of Sydney you'll find the worst kids(and I know that first hand). The scumbag kids had parents who were little better than them. Further if you meet the parents of most habitual criminals (DanP will know this better than most) you'll generally find parents with little time for their own children if any at all.

I know where you live AlexS and its not where you will find the worst kids so I am not surprised by what you say. They are representative of the kids in that area and probably a reflection of your own childrens taste in friends, not a representation of kids in general. Having met you, I will say that if your child is a reflection of you, then she is not going to go to far wrong.

Don't complain too loudly about the radio...

At least you get music. Here, they play half the song, interrupt it with some stoopid joke only the ^%^$^%$ saying it can understand, then play another little bit off the song, cut it off and go into another stoopid monolgue about food or some such cr@p.

You wouldn't believe how obsessed with food they are here, and anything that is "good for health". Prolly explains why people live so long (great granny in law just left the wicket at 110) but I reckon the radio might be cause for such a high suicide rate here too.

What's worse, the good station (relative term there) just changed their line up and it's garbage. The not so good station is living up to it's reputation, the rest of them are junk and the CD player doesn't work anymore. Tape works ok.

But the only tape I have is of Jeff Foxworthy. Funny fella, but when you know when beer glasses are going to make noise, it's time to just stop.

Triple J huh? At one time, they were flouting how they were the youth station, but none of the presenters were under the age of 30, mostly over 40. I gave up on it as a bad joke, except for Dr. Karl.

You wouldn't believe how obsessed with food they are here
    I thought it was for research
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    I thought it was for research
    Nah its traditional, they've always hunted in antartica

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

We had a scout camp last weekend to teach the kids, young adults would probably be a better term, emergency response.
    Two of the patrol leaders, both 14, had a bit of a heated argument over something that needed doing and us three leaders sat back and watched for a while.
    I defused the whole thing by just laughing at them and saying that in 10 years, when they are married, this is what they can look forward to.
    The whole patrol thought this was funny and the two patrol leaders realised what they were doing, it worked for us.
    It was an interesting weekend overall with a lot of groups from different socio/economic areas, the behaviour of different groups was incredible.
    Ours, I might add, were very well behaved and responsible.
    Commercial break over, back to the music.
    NB. Listening to the radio this morning, Anna Russell performing 'do your own Gilbert and Sullivan' anyone else catch it, I thought it was hilarious.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    I know where you live AlexS and its not where you will find the worst kids so I am not surprised by what you say. They are representative of the kids in that area and probably a reflection of your own childrens taste in friends, not a representation of kids in general.
    Thanks Boban, but the kids were from all over Australia training for a national team. I don't know most of their parents, but it's probably true that most of them got into the sport through their parents, or were at least encouraged by them.

Also have to agree with Groggy - I'm sure my kids are much better in all ways than I was at their age.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

For those of you who have been eagerly awaiting the outcome of my coffee machine's problem passing steam, you will be happy to know that after following the advice of forum members, all is well. I bought some "Scalex Dishwasher & Appliance Cleaner" which I ran through this morning.

I tell you, it was like passing a kidney stone and I'm sure I heard the machine heave a sigh of relief as it spat a lump of calcium deposit out the end of it's steam nozzle and across the room. We now have full steam ahead and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the fizzy taste disappears altogether.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

For those of you who have been eagerly awaiting the outcome of my coffee machine's problem passing steam, you will be happy to know that after following the advice of forum members, all is well. I bought some "Scalex Dishwasher & Appliance Cleaner" which I ran through this morning.

I tell you, it was like passing a kidney stone and I'm sure I heard the machine heave a sigh of relief as it spat a lump of calcium deposit out the end of it's steam nozzle and across the room. We now have full steam ahead and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the fizzy taste disappears altogether.
    I'm enormously relieved to hear it!
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

For those of you who have been eagerly awaiting the outcome of my coffee machine's problem passing steam, you will be happy to know that after following the advice of forum members, all is well.
    SilentC,

Fascinated as I was by the story of your coffee machine's gallstone, what I am hanging out for is an account of the dramas involved in building your new stately home. When can we expect the first installment?

Rocker