Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Think Wagon Wheel!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Is there a Rat's Ring option?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

speaking of rats going to the little boys room doing your thing and finding out not only is there no paper left ,but the spare rolls are in the next room and you have your pants around you ankles .
    insanity is a state of mind if you don't mind it does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Agree with all of the above, don't think I have forgotten to reply to all of the help I have had [if I have - please put this down to senior moment, which are tending to become more frequent lately].
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post

As for the "leeches" mentioned, I can appreciate the sentiments [which are similar to my own] but I still try and encourage/help them in the hope that they will later bring something to the table for us all to share.

Regards,
    Bob

I read Sturdee's post yesterday and spent quite some time mulling it over last night - I think I agree with the basic sentiment - "Thank you" is always worth saying, and I'd always be afraid my old Mum would leap out from somewhere and hit me with a wooden spoon if I didn't say it...

However, in support of 'leeches' - perhaps some of the old-timers on this forum have forgotten what it is like to start out. I've been woodworking for 20 odd years (some of them very odd) - but being self-taught and self-motivated (and self-injured) my progress has been slow. When I found this site I felt like a pig in mud! Spent days just reading and reading -- I still limit myself to only 3 or 4 forums as there is just too much to digest. I wanted to ask a couple of questions, so I joined up and got my questions answered (and got some extra help off-line too, for which I was very grateful).

In the last few months I have posted a few replies, but not many - and here is the thing. I feel qualified to answer queries for which I have some experience, but I'm not that well experienced. I don't have any proper qualifications, am not that definite about the best ways to do things, and generally don't want to step out on a limb and suggest things that may not be 'correct'. This limits my posts.

I could submit posts about my work and my workshop, but in all honesty, with a full-time job, a part-time study load, 4 kids to taxi-drive, etc, I might only get a couple of hours a week woodworking (if that). So there's not much productivity at the moment.

Also, bear in mind that as you get more familiar with the posters you start to put character to each name (I sometimes play a game by reading the post and trying to guess who is the poster before I look at the name (Wild Dingo is the easiest!)) -- and you start to see there is some 'history' between some people. One thing I don't want to do is to 'put my foot in it' or worse, to be improperly familiar -- so there is some reluctance to jump in and state my views. I have learned over the years that the easiest thing to get and the hardest to lose is a reputation. So although I consider myself to be an ex-Lurker, I post sporadically, only when I am confident of giving good advice or an interesting point of view, perhaps less and less tentatively, but still aware of the gulf of knowledge between me and most forum members.

Cheers,
    Chumley

I don't have any proper qualifications, am not that definite about the best ways to do things, and generally don't want to step out on a limb and suggest things that may not be 'correct'.
    Nowhere in the forum rules does it say that this is mandatory!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

G'day,

Aversions? I've got plenty.

But I'll give two examples.

I've got two 150mm little steel rulers, you know the ones, they're very handy. I've got two so that I can always at least find one. They have their own spot in my tool cabinet which I dutifully put back after I use them.

Now one of them has gone walk-abouts. Just up and disappeared damnit.

The other aversion is the stuff-up fairies.

Their latest trick, is I measure up something twice, then I turn around come back and cut the thing and it's too short. (maybe I need to use both eyes when I measure up stuff, not just one eye each time )
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post

I read Sturdee's post yesterday and spent quite some time mulling it over last night - I think I agree with the basic sentiment - "Thank you" is always worth saying,
    Chumley
    And it only need to take a greenie with the words "thanks" and you know that the effort taken to help someone is appreciated.

Incidently just before I made that post I answered a post with information on how to do it. Although another member acknowledged the help, as he also had the same problem, the original poster hasn't. Hence I wonder why I bother.

In the last few months I have posted a few replies, but not many - and here is the thing. I feel qualified to answer queries for which I have some experience, but I'm not that well experienced. I don't have any proper qualifications, am not that definite about the best ways to do things, and generally don't want to step out on a limb and suggest things that may not be 'correct'. This limits my posts.

Chumley
    My point about leeches are those that have been members for quite some time and the only times we see them is when they need help. As soon as they have their answer they will ignore the board until they need help again. I have noticed quite a few of theese leeches.

That a member doesn't make many posts doesn't make them a leech as regular reading and participating when able is totally different. Recording your agreement or non agreement with opinion posts ( like you have just done) or participating in opinion polls we can all do and helps the board function.

I could submit posts about my work and my workshop,
    Chumley
    I alway enjoy watching other peoples workshops, so your post on your workshop would be greatly enjoyed.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Now one of them has gone walk-abouts. Just up and disappeared damnit.
    Ahhh... I've a similar problem that I call "Little Brother Syndrome." It wouldn't be so bad if he actually lived here... (Who'm I kidding? Yes it bloody-well would! )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post

The other aversion is the stuff-up fairies.

Their latest trick, is I measure up something twice, then I turn around come back and cut the thing and it's too short. (maybe I need to use both eyes when I measure up stuff, not just one eye each time )
    Your problem is green wood, it's shrinking after you measure
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Your problem is green wood, it's shrinking after you measure
    G'day Iain,

I knew it wasn't me.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

What your pet aversion?

Got a new one today
    Dealing with DIK public servants
    No satisfaction tomorrow and I'll ring the minister.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I read Sturdee's post yesterday and spent quite some time mulling it over last night - I think I agree with the basic sentiment - "Thank you" is always worth saying, and I'd always be afraid my old Mum would leap out from somewhere and hit me with a wooden spoon if I didn't say it...

However, in support of 'leeches' - perhaps some of the old-timers on this forum have forgotten what it is like to start out. I've been woodworking for 20 odd years (some of them very odd) - but being self-taught and self-motivated (and self-injured) my progress has been slow. When I found this site I felt like a pig in mud! Spent days just reading and reading -- I still limit myself to only 3 or 4 forums as there is just too much to digest. I wanted to ask a couple of questions, so I joined up and got my questions answered (and got some extra help off-line too, for which I was very grateful).

I could submit posts about my work and my workshop, but in all honesty, with a full-time job, a part-time study load, 4 kids to taxi-drive, etc, I might only get a couple of hours a week woodworking (if that). So there's not much productivity at the moment.

Also, bear in mind that as you get more familiar with the posters you start to put character to each name (I sometimes play a game by reading the post and trying to guess who is the poster before I look at the name (Wild Dingo is the easiest!)) -- and you start to see there is some 'history' between some people. One thing I don't want to do is to 'put my foot in it' or worse, to be improperly familiar -- so there is some reluctance to jump in and state my views. I have learned over the years that the easiest thing to get and the hardest to lose is a reputation. So although I consider myself to be an ex-Lurker, I post sporadically, only when I am confident of giving good advice or an interesting point of view, perhaps less and less tentatively, but still aware of the gulf of knowledge between me and most forum members.

Cheers,
    Chumley
    Chumley, it's almost as if you read my mind. My situation is a little different to yours, but has plenty of similarities.

I'm a real newbie to woodwork - I'm only just starting for the first time - so I have loads of questions, but little advice to give. This makes me more of a "taker" than a "giver" when it comes to these forums. I always try to say thank you, and *always* read the replies people write to my questions!

I read most of the threads that pop up in the main forums, and have started to read through some of the older, classic threads (such as in "Best of the Best") - there's an amazing amount of collective wisdom available on this board.

I've read hundreds of posts from members like SilentC, Wongo, bitingmidge, Wild Dingo, Derek Cohen, etc etc, that it seems like I know you all - even though you have no idea about me.

I guess I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone, and that while some people may seem like leeches, we don't mean to be!

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    And it only need to take a greenie with the words "thanks" and you know that the effort taken to help someone is appreciated.

Incidently just before I made that post I answered a post with information on how to do it. Although another member acknowledged the help, as he also had the same problem, the original poster hasn't. Hence I wonder why I bother.

Peter.
    Peter, I know how you feel, I have even gone to the trouble of emailing a complete article to someone to help with their problem, not even an acknowledgement of receipt, let alone a "thank you"

Times like that you do think "why do I bother". But then I think of all the help (and offers of help) I have received from other forum members, yourself included, and then I think "well I am only putting something back in to the forum, a thank you is a bonus".

The people that send you greenies and thank you's make up for the few ignorant ones, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    The people that send you greenies and thank you's make up for the few ignorant ones, I'm sure.
    Pardon my ignorance - What's a greenie?

Paying $15 for a turning blank to find a nice big crack hidden right in the guts. How do they cut them that way?

Being tracked. Spam, cookies, mailing lists and all the other cyber stuff done to keep a product or service in your face. Getting off can be a real trick. Goes for ads, particularly those that get pulled around on trailers.

Pollies, all flavours. Ive yet to meet one that will declare their all to obvious self interest. I dont reckon there is a leader in the free world who doesnt want to be a war leader.

Taxes, any and all of them,

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com