Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by barnsey
    Mentoring - a fine idea but with the community as insular as it is it's hard to know whether you should trust school teachers who don't even need to hold a Blue Card. You would want to be pretty sure whoever is organising mentors that they are capable and screen every potential mentor. After all they are all fine upstanding citizens until the freaks get caught - or at least in the society in general.

Where will we be in 50 years??? :confused:
    I wouldn't suggest just anyone be a mentor and the organiser would be me for my kids if possible. I grew up in a shi1ty part of a very large city where community was also a thing of the past but was lucky enough to find a mentor, I don't think it's impossible to find this today. It would be pretty easy for me to find such a mentor amongst my friends.

Obviously kids can choose there own mentors and it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up who they are if you're looking for it, then ensure they are appropriate for the role.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    what a depressing topic!
    You got that right Zed.

I also was wondering why the person (didn't realise it was the 30yr old, but that just makes it worse) who'd made a 15yr old pregnant wasn't in custody

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    You got that right Zed.

I also was wondering why the person (didn't realise it was the 30yr old, but that just makes it worse) who'd made a 15yr old pregnant wasn't in custody
    He's dead.

sorry guys but the only solution is when it occurs to the person doing it to, stop and think. All the well menaing suggestions fall on deaf ears.

i have a 13 year old son and i am worried he may do some of the things we did in cars or other wise.

Still i hope he is sensible.

cheeeeeers

Well der.

I meant BEFORE he was totaled.

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    Well der.

I meant BEFORE he was totaled.
    I know, just messing with ya.

A few months after my daughter was born, it hit me what a big responsibility I'd taken on. Not only do I have to feed her and put clothes on her back, I'm also largely responsible for the kind of person she turns out to be. You don't get an instruction book. Everyone has theories and ideas and advice but at the end of the day it's up to you. On top of that you get to worry about what might happen to them 'cause you get kind of attached to their cute little faces.

In as much as anything in life is important, your kids are the most important thing in your life, or at least they should be. We brought the poor little buggers into the world so we owe them that much.

You're right, it is depressing. It's depressing that some father up there is wondering how his 15 year old daughter ended up dead in the back of a car with her 33 year old boyfriend and their kid in her belly.

Serious mode off.

stupid sarcastic mode ON

in one foul sweep three candidates for the Darwin award were removed from the gene pool. A theif who doesnt understand physics, a peodofile and a 15 yr old who doesnt know about condoms....

Stupid sarcastic mode OFF.
    Zed

I think it is just crap that kids of today are significantly different to kids when I was one. Parents of teenagers in the 60's said that 'Teenagers of today have no respect for their elders, not like in my day'. They said the same in the 70's when I was a teenager and it is being said now.

You might hate 'Doof, doof' and rap music of today. My parents weren't all that fond of Led Zeppelin, The Who or Dylan.

We had Pong and Space Invaders when I was a lad. There was plenty of violence around then too. We drove cars too fast. We drank too much. We smoked dope. We did plenty of stupid things.

Telling teenagers they can't do something isn't going to stop them doing it. Threatening them with a beating isn't going to stop them either. Many of my peers were threatened with violence and they were still naughty.

I think the only you can do is educate them, let them know that you are there if they need you and most importantly love them.
    Photo Gallery

Looking outside the nine dots here (and I'm not condoning the reckless driving),

BUT, if the hazard was not there (telephone pole), may this thread have taken a different turn.
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy
    Looking outside the nine dots here (and I'm not condoning the reckless driving),

BUT, if the hazard was not there (telephone pole), may this thread have taken a different turn.
    Yeah. They might have ended up in somebody's living room :eek:

Yeah, instead of a telephone pole, it could have been someone's lounge room window :eek:

Snap, Darren

You say living room, I say lounge room

Great minds huh?

Lets get something straight. There is only one person to blame for these events. The driver of the car. Society and/or his parents are not. No parent or responsible member of society would condone or encourage someone to drive at 180 km/h. On the whole I find less people speed today, including P platers, than they did when I first joined. I have to work for tickets now. Whereas i used to just stick the radar out the window and hey presto... As many tickets as I wanted.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.