Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

cheers for the help ppl, i have bought a 3 litre bottle of ready to use glyphosate at bunnings today after work and applied it all over the weeds.. i took a few pictures of the weeds to see what you people reckon whether the chemical would be strong enough to kill all this?

after they are dead i hope to remove all the #### and then put new bark and stuff.. gota try to make it how it used to be or my dad will pull weeds out of my head when hes back! ahah

would i need something stronger? i couldnt find roundup so hope this stuff works.

I have'nt tried straight vinigar but I will give it a go, i too was concerned about the salt, but thought it might have less salt than the glyphosate wich is basicly an industrial salt

Default Glyphosate

Vnman, Before you use a chemical for the first time, look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the web. If you have never read the one for Glyphosate, give it a go. The data shows that you would need to ingest more than your stomach can hold to run a 50% chance of karking it. Salt is more toxic. That doesn't mean you can spray it willy-nilly. I suggest that if you don't use it professionally, get the pre-mix version (3.6 g/L) from the shelf at your hardware and READ THE LABEL.
    Regards, Mossywun

Default Oops

Vmann, I was too late, but I hope you read the label.
    Mossywun

vmann, roundup will clean up all those weeds including the fern as you have bought the stuff already it.s proberly to late but a litre of glyphosphate is around $25 and will make up 100 litres of spray so you would have plenty for future use. buying it premixed is a very expensive way of getting it, I know it's a rip off as I buy the concentrate 20 litres at a time which equates to approx $8 a litre.

Hope this helps for future use

Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Munga View Post
    a litre of glyphosphate is around $25 and will make up 100 litres of spray so you would have plenty for future use.
    Arch
    Arch, about $8 at Bunnings.

Peter.

vnman, it'll do that job fine, glyphosate is a translocated herbicide which means when you spray it on the foliage it travels throughout the plant and kills it. It will kill all that stuff.

You will notice the weeds start yellowing off in 5 - 7 days, the grasses are usuall first to show. All the weeds can be pulled out (if you want ) after a week, any that you miss when weeding will still die off provided you sprayed their foliage.

Cheers.................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

thanks ppl yeah i hope this works, first time gardener so i am excited haha.
    thanks for those advices and tips. if this stuff aint any good i think roundup will be next.. il give it 2 weeks and see how i go as the glyphosate label says not to touch them for 2 weeks after spraying.
    thats a long time. :confused:

vn, Roundup is just one of the brands of glyphosate, all things being equal you would get the same results with the glypho you have already applied.

One week will be fine, the chemical moves through the plant's system quite quickly, particularly at this time of year (warm weather, rapid growth).

Cheers........Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Here is a question, I just found out my neighbour "accidently" sprayed one of my gum saplings (only about 1.6m high) in the front yard with a glypho spray:eek: :mad: about 10 days ago. It was one of those expensive hybrids from the garden shop which until today was going great guns.

I looked at it today and it is starting to wilt and the gum nuts which were about to bloom have gone brown and died. I have applied miracle grow and seeweed emulsion to try to save it. How long should I give it before it dies or recovers?

10 days is about right for this time of year. If its not totally carked it by now it may pick up.
    Give the patient plenty of water and rest , whilst I prescribe a beer for yourself.

BTW is your neighbour a young bloke called vnman by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    BTW is your neighbour a young bloke called vnman by any chance?
    LOL No thank god, I think if it was we would all be dead:eek:

Thanks for the tip, I'm off to water again.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe View Post
    LOL No thank god, I think if it was we would all be dead:eek:

Thanks for the tip, I'm off to water again.

I reckon.... when the stricken plants die of a cocktail of vinegar, roundup (gyphos... whatever), 245T, Amitrole, and various other implements of destruction, the story would be to torch the dry stuff - should get a good burn around the end of Jan/early Feb. couple of gallons of petrol will help it along. Snakes and the neighbours fleeing in all directions...... Ho Ho, I can see the smoke from here

You know, if you got your hands dirty and pulled out the weeds and put on a layer of tree mulch (like seriously thick 200mm) no weeds would grow through it and you wouldnt need to worry about chemicals. And if any weeds did pop up you could deal with them easily.

There would still be a weed reduction of around 95%. Over time you would eradicate the weeds altogether.

Unless there's any pesky grasses in there in which case you probally do need round up.

Hey Felix, how did that sick gum go? Have you the start of a roundup resistant breed or is it pushing up daisies so to speak?