Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    I have once returned the Readers Digest reply paid envelope back to them with a brick, duly wrapped up in a cardboard box, attached. I started my letter with the phrase " Apparently you lot are as thick as this brick ......"

Funny thing is I never got a reply or any further mail from them.

Peter.
    ROFL......the postage must have cost you a swag. You must have also got some weird looks from the counter staff at your local post office.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

SWMBO used to be fairly tolerant towards telemarketers untill the day she was sitting outside in the sun waiting for an important phonecall. The phone eventually rang...she rushed inside to answer it.....ran straight into the fly screen shed forgotten was closed....finally got to the phone..and found a telemarketer on the other end of the line. Its the only time Ive actually felt sorry for a telemarketer.

Nowadays I have to put the boss on a leash around dinner time and on saturday mornings when the JW's are out.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo
    ROFL......the postage must have cost you a swag. You must have also got some weird looks from the counter staff at your local post office.

Cost me nothing as I used their reply paid envelope. Don't know what it cost them but can't have been cheap.

Told the post office guy that they sent me the wrong goods and I marked the package " Care fragile goods", no problems with it at all.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by brucen
    LOL! I like this idea - my son will love this, he's 4 1/2 and I suspect they will get to know all about Thomas the Tank Engine!

Cheers
    Bruce
    And youll start wondering why youre suddenly getting s**t loads of stuff you never ordered

Quote Originally Posted by fxst
    ......even telemaketer operators are not that stupid................are they??
    Pete
    Anyone who cant understand the word "no" has a problem with basic english.

My weapon of choice for the really persistant telemarketers is my Dads old hockey referees whistle.

Talking

Somebody put me on to the brick trick thirty years ago, so the fact that readers digest (yep same place) was getting bricks that far back shows there is not enough people doing it.

As for Optus and all others with cheap calls, I tell them that I am soooo happy with Telstra I'd gladly pay them three times the price. For goodness sake don't tell Telstra.

Putting them on hold forever works, but these days my secretary just asks them to mail in the info so it can be considered at our next meeting, which we might if anyone ever sends anything.

I think calls are dropping off, which may not be our tactics working. The message that as a country we have overdosed and no longer listen or change providers often enough to justify the call centres could be starting to bite.

JohnC

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    A while ago someone posted this link:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html
    Think Ill try the Dutch version....should get them really confused.

Question New ones

Just got a couple of new ones, to me anyway, you lucky people in the big smoke may have been getting them already .
    Picked up the phone earlier this week and got an electronic message:

"I'm sorry, this message was meant to be recieved by your answering machine"

? :eek: A computer wants to talk to my answering machine? :confused:

Today the phone rang while I was in the middle of spraying lacquer. I had to unplug the gun, remove my mask and then step around all the piles of stuff in the shed to get to the phone. I got a recording this time:

"congratulations, your name has been drawn as a potential winner of a (vehicle - can't remember brand), call now on 1902............., call cost of $4.00 applies"

So how do you combat a computer generated voice or an automated recording? I don't have a kid to put on the phone to babble about Thomas the Tank Engine and even if I did, I rather doubt this or leaving the phone off the hook will make an impact. Ideas anyone?

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    "I'm sorry, this message was meant to be recieved by your answering machine"

? :eek: A computer wants to talk to my answering machine? :confused:

Mick
    Had the same thing and was flabbergasted. Machines ARE taking over.

Use an answering machine with the volume up so you can hear the message. Record a message along the lines of "Hi, I am here and listening and will answer your call if you aren't telemarketing"
    Hopefully your clients won't be put off and you can decide if it is worth the dash to the phone.
    Make sure you get an answering machine that you can hear while it records.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Rod,
    don't have an answering machine and don't intend to get one. My mobile is on 24/7 (fire brigade contact) and I only give my mobile number out to clients, just wondering why on earth a computer wants to talk to my (non-existent) answering machine? :confused:

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Ooops forgot about mobile phones - I store mine in a bucket of water.
    Not far from the truth actually as once I bent over to fill the dogs water and it did a two and half backfilp out of my shirt pocket.
    I have no idea why a computer would call except that it is cheaper to buy a computer than employ somebody.

By the way I tried the "can I have you billing address" suggestion the other night and it worked. The phone went silent for about a minute and then they hung up. First time I have had a telemarketer hang up on me.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

My answering machine is antisocial
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    My answering machine is antisocial
    Give me yer number, I want to hear it...

Al