Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

From the Melbourne Air show 2003.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac
    I'm reminded of an occasion at Adelaide Central Station, where a mate and I were on our first leave from RAAF.....
    I too used to enjoy making aircraft models as a kid, Mosquito being a bit of a fave. I love that plywood technology with monster engines! ...
    [IMG]images/attach/jpg.gif[/IMG]Photo-reconnaissance version,no armaments,drop-tanks.And made of wood...appropriate for the forum.Click to enlarge.
    There's a boat inside me trying to get out.
    Was it something I ate?

Darren (or anyone else ), did you see that BBC programme shown on the ABC (I think) on the Spitfire, it ran over a few episodes & covered a lot of Spitfire/WW2/Battle of Britain stuff.

The main premise of the show was about some youngsters from different walks of life in Britain being trained up & put through their paces, the best of the lot being able to actually fly the Spitfire on a dummy "mission".

It was meant to represent what the young pilots in the Battle of Britain went through & were faced with.

Terrific show, loved the historical stuff.

Cheers...............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Have to give Navy pilots their due, when we had a fleet air arm. We had 3 trackers leaving East Sale after a week of exercises. We climbed on top of the control tower to see them do a beat up. First one dived in from about 500 ft to run down the runway flat tack at about 12ft alt. The next did the same but the props almost left furrows.

The last one not to be outdown did the same but down the taxiway, we had to look down to see him. The guy in the slasher mowing the airfield near the taxiway must have looked up late and when he saw him he jumped out of the tractor over the slashers. Then spent the next few mins chasing after the tractor trying to get back on.

Darren (or anyone else ), did you see that BBC programme shown on the ABC (I think) on the Spitfire, it ran over a few episodes & covered a lot of Spitfire/WW2/Battle of Britain stuff.
    Missed it. They show a bit of stuff on the History channel every so often. Most of the series off the BBC are available on DVD, so I might have a look next time I'm in the ABC shop.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Good movie is Dark Blue World, get the dvd as it has good add ons on how it was made.

Polish fighter pilot with an interesting twist. Shows how vets can be treated badly.

I did see one show that was just like what you were describing but they were training to fly a Lancaster bomber.

It was very interesting to see particularly when they did bombing runs and sometimes fluffed it completely with just the pressure to stay on the show. Wonder how that compares with having the enemy shooting at you?

One good bit was an old airman saying how they once landed at an American base and got to see the B17. They stirred up the Yanks by saying where do the bombs go? The B17 with all it's extra gunners and armour plate had much less room for payload.

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby
    [IMG]images/attach/jpg.gif[/IMG]Photo-reconnaissance version,no armaments,drop-tanks.And made of wood...appropriate for the forum.Click to enlarge.
    If you want to help restore one?????

http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/

Default Great Aircraft

Heres another pic

Default Another Favourite

Tell the Yanks about the 10 tonne Grand Slam that thes could deliver?

I was looking through some stuff packed away in boxes since I was a kid a few months ago and found my old Airfix catalogue. That was my bible when I was 15. I had been through and circled all the ones I wanted to get. I had half the RAF and Luftwaffe selected. Never liked the yank or Jap planes much. I had a thing for the BF 109E and the Ju 87 as well as the Spitfire, the Hurricane and the Lancaster bomber.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Never liked the yank or Jap planes much.
    I had a model of a Corsair, which was a pretty grunty aircraft in its day. And the Lightning...P3?? with twin tail booms(empenage?) was a stylish, sleek looking thing.

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird
    If you want to help restore one?????

http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/
    I'd love to,but Pt Cook is a little too far to travel.
    Someone in sydney is apparently restoring one,but I've never been able to track them down.
    My old man was an armourer on Lincolns.There was an inspection imminent and one of the guns was u.s.,so the armourers made a replica.
    After the inspection,noone wanted it so Dad brought it home for me.
    It made the other kids,with their chrome plated cap guns,really jealous when I took it to school.
    LOL,how long would an 8 year old last today,walking to school carrying a replica Browning .303 machine gun?
    Was it something I ate?

Default yes some are nice

still when it comes to ugly no one beats the French.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    I was looking through some stuff packed away in boxes since I was a kid a few months ago and found my old Airfix catalogue. That was my bible when I was 15. I had been through and circled all the ones I wanted to get. I had half the RAF and Luftwaffe selected. Never liked the yank or Jap planes much. I had a thing for the BF 109E and the Ju 87 as well as the Spitfire, the Hurricane and the Lancaster bomber.
    And when they got broken you could hang them from the clothesline and set them on fire.
    Only the german ones of course.
    How little we knew of the reality of aerial combat,and what brave young men they were.
    Was it something I ate?