Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Yes, retirement was thrust upon me through the company I worked for folding up, and then being declared medically unfit for work.
    I need the name for your doctor

In my work I have farewelled about 12 people into retirement in the last year. I think all but 1 have gone back into some kind of work within a 3 - 6 month period. The 1 who didn't got into the nomad caravan lifestyle. The rest either work full time or part time or do so much volunteer work that it is pretty much full time.

My brothers fiancee's father (whatever that is to me?) retired after 30 years, and took over the 33 Ha of land next to his house that the council had let turn into a weed paddock. 7 years later and people are using it as conference retreats. He and some other mates formed a committee, took management off the council and swung the old boy/girl network into action, as well as the "Work for the Dole", local business sponsorships and a few Govt. grants. A few thousand trees, native grasses and some old Water Authority "recycled" weirs have turned a weed paddock with a stormwater drain into near natural bushland with a wetland and permanent creek that is winning all sorts of awards. (which means the council wants it back, the buggers) He might be retired, but he is certainly still contributing.

I've got a few decades left before I retire, if I ever can - so I don't know what my comments are worth. I won't let that stop me commenting though!

I think that if you can retire and enjoy whatever leisure pursuits are your thing, then well done and go for it. More power to you.

If not, community and volunteer organisations are good for the country and I think you should have a poke around and see what is available.
    Frankly the more "grumpy retired men and women" that decide that the country is in a mess and needs a bit of "direct action" to fix it the better.

After all, you worked all your life and contributed in a certain manner, why stop contributing now. Taxpayers are not the only thing the country/community needs. You have the freedom to devote whatever time you want, so why not find a problem and fix it?
    My grandfathers both lasted about 4 months, one started doing maintence work at his bowls club and then built an empire out of it, the other ended up taking over the local museum.
    A lady that grew up with one of my grandfathers is in her 90's, and still roams the streets at night making kids "get home, or I'll speak to your parents", as well as running a few womens refuges, and generally organising the local women into a force for annoying the men in the town to do what they think needs doing. Thats a pretty little country town though.

Finally, I don't know what your family situation is (it may be the typical Aussie - scattered all over the country scene), but don't underestimate the value of 'just' being a grandfather.

Have fun.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Gday Termite,

I've been out of the workforce now since 1999. Done a few odd jobs, started doing some consulting but that took over and the next thing I knew was working longer and harder than ever. Done some volunteer work and inspite of all that I've been suffering pretty bad depression on and off ever since.

I'm on happy pills and working through it, I'm using the structure approach but the biggest paradigm shift is that we were brought up by the generation who survived a depression - the other type - ex war service disciplined folk who had to get on and get a job. When we started everyone got a job - there were plenty. Often I had 2 and went to night school twice a week.

Now life's all on it's back end - the wife is the bread winner, I'm the house mum and the highlight of the day is collecting the mail. Bugger more bills - how am I ever going to make ends meet.

And I just spent $300 for a 12' thicknesser:confused:

Anyhow - enough going on about it - maybe we should have a forum for us to get together and try and help one another coz there's been a few respond.

Retirement can be a worry when it hits you 15-20 years before you expect it to.

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Its an interesting discussion, even if I'm years from retirement myself! My parents recently "retired" from their farm, the old man is over 70 so moved to Perth in a nice home with a small yard. And b*gger me if he doesn't keep returning to the farm every shearing, seeding and harvest to help my brother! Long hours, lots of driving and I think it really stuffs him, but can't stop himself. After running 12,000 acres, the suburban block is too confining! Mum is quite happy in the city, loads to occupy her, but follows Dad up anyway.
    He's not a woodie, so can't potter away in a shed like you guys! Just to add my suggestion, Termite, to combine the oft-made suggestion of volunteer work and woodwork, how about making the odd toy for charity auction, or Xmas tree for the underprivaleged. But you've probably thought of that already.
    Enjoy yourself, you deserve it!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Sudden unexpected retirement whatever the cause can be very very hard to get used to, especially for one who enjoyed work and would like to work.

Talking to others who have been in a similar situation as you are doing is a good way to start.

The very first thing is get out of the house itself, that's swmbo's domain and if you get under her feet that will create problems for both of you.

Volunteer work is only one choice but there is an incredible variety of volunteer opportunities. (I am more or less a full time volunteer managing the district scout camp) So when I add my shed time in I probably put in more hours more than before I retired. (Though I get far less done).

There are part time jobs. Or even doing the books for small businesses on a regular casual or subcontract basis.

You can busy yourself in the shed making things to flog at markets or sell to retailers etc.

Become a gardener and grow all your own veggies and fruit.

Hope you find your niche soon.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Once again folks thanks heaps for your support. Talking it over has helped a lot and I feel a hell of a lot better than when I put up the post, well on the way to sorting out that worry. Thanks

BTW as of 1/2 hour ago I am officialy a Disabled Pensioner, anybody know of tool shops that give Senior Card/Pensioner Discounts?

The way I see it - once you hit retirement the race starts to see who expires first: you or your super! You definitly do not want to outlive your super.

Now is a good time to start extreme sports - take up sky diving - try to get a STD - maybe start smoking etc... Hell if you play your cards right you might even be able to screw the life insurance companies too!

Personalyl I cant wait untill I retire - finally life can start to get exciting again!

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    BTW as of 1/2 hour ago I am officialy a Disabled Pensioner, anybody know of tool shops that give Senior Card/Pensioner Discounts?
    I think a lot of shops just might give a discount if asked!

On the other matter I liked Bodgy's response, you seem to be re-evaluating who you are and perhaps trying to determine your 'worth'.

My MIL spends a huge amount of time helping out just about anyone who needs. She'll even walk boy scouts across the road . Anyway, perhaps what I am getting at is you need to find something that will make you feel good about yourself, volunteer for something - anything.

Cheers and good luck.

Default Groggy

Yes mate, the suggestion by you and others re volunteer work seems like a bloody good idea to me. Its all well and good mucking about in my shed but I remember a mad golfer who said that golf was for relaxation, not a full time activity.
    So I think I'll see if I can do a bit for the community in some way. In my younger days I was the foundation secretary for an Apex club and was in Rotary untill I transferred overseas, and from memory the work we did was pretty satisfying. This time round I might try something of a less organised nature.

One of my friends has just retired. He told me it makes him feel like he's getting old, but then, he said, at least that's better than the alternative.

Hadn't ever thought about getting too much shed time, but it is a break from reality, it would be sad to get bored with it.

I like having you around, so good luck.
    Judge not lest you're judging yourself