Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bloody iPods

This thread is becoming a little one sided for the pedal power people
    How many of you could honestly say that you obey the road rules when your on the road
    How many have
    Not come to a complete stop at a stop sign
    Never gone through a red light
    Never ridden on a footpath when not in the company of a child under the age of 12
    Never gone through a pedestrain crossing when someone was in it ( stoped and waited till they had crossed completely not just avoided them)
    Never used a " cell" phone while riding
    Never changed lanes without indicating
    Never travelled in the wrong direction on a road
    Never ridden without a helmet( though I think very few would ride without one these days
    to name a but a few

So do your feelings towards pedestrains on walk/cycle ways mirror the feelings of motorists to you on road ways

Just A thought to even the debate

The Trouble with life is there's no background Music

Ashore

The traffic act requires bikes to be fitted with bells, yet they are all sold without them, so why not start there?
    Not in Victoria. I've been looking at new bikes and they all have them.
    Photo Gallery

Even up the debate indeed! So how do the following impact on car drivers in any way at all? Well actually they don't, but car drivers get all high and mighty IN CASE a cyclist is breaking the law!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashore
    How many of you could honestly say that you obey the road rules when your on the road
    How many have
    Not come to a complete stop at a stop sign
    Never gone through a red light
    Never ridden on a footpath when not in the company of a child under the age of 12
    Never gone through a pedestrain crossing when someone was in it ( stoped and waited till they had crossed completely not just avoided them)
    Never used a " cell" phone while riding
    Never changed lanes without indicating
    Never travelled in the wrong direction on a road
    Never ridden without a helmet( though I think very few would ride without one these days
    to name a but a few

So do your feelings towards pedestrains on walk/cycle ways mirror the feelings of motorists to you on road ways
    I have no problems with pedestrians, IF THEY DON'T HAVE THEIR EARS FULL OF MUSIC SO THEY CAN' T HEAR MY BELL!!

BTW, cycling on a footpath is legal (and often sensible) in Qld.

Cheers,

P (who drives more k's a day than he cycles, and often walks long distances without the aid of an iPod)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore
    Just A thought to even the debate
    I actually do not ride at all, but my annoyance is these people who are oblivious to the rest of the world, be they walkers, cyclists, drivers, or anyone....
    It drives me :mad: !

Ratbag
    I know that you beleive that you understand what it is that you think that I said; But I am not sure that you realise that what you heard is not what I meant

Bloody militant cyclists!

The bike isnt king in China, the car is. Thats why we're gettign so much work over there. The'yve nowwhere to park them . The pushy is a symbol of the poor.

I agree that these advertising campagins dont work! I said it 3 bloody times.

There simply isnt enough money to build separate paths everywhere. Thats not being a greedy government, its a fact of life. (We want more hospital beds, schools, roads and police....and more tax cuts!!)

The traffic act requires bikes to be fitted with bells, yet they are all sold without them, so why not start there?
    Thats not a bad point, seems a no brainer.

I dont think cyclists can escape responsibility here. Its not fair but they have the vision of the pedestrian so they need to take caution. I commute myself by bike sometimes and I'm sympathetic cyclist casuse, thats why I work in this area!

Now, we've also done a report on bikes in bus lanes and the prioritisation of bicycle infrastructure funding, shall we discuss those?
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Not in Victoria. I've been looking at new bikes and they all have them.
    Even the super triathlon models? I've only seen them on the K-Mart variety!

Maybe we need uniform road laws, and some Act of Parliament to stop your shops dumping their bell-less $10,000 bikes up here!

Rally cars get scrutineered to ensure road worthiness, why don't racing bikes?

Wouldn't it be the most fantastic sound to hear the boys on the Tour ringing their bells on the final sprint down the Champs?

Cheers,

P

My wife bought a $200 K mart bike, and was bragging when we got to the shops. Hers sat there nicely perched on a stand while I searched in vain for somewhere to lean my $1000 mountain bike.
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Actually, here's yet another point of veiw.....
    We obviously don't have bike paths out here, we average about 100km between towns. But we do have a number of narrow windy roads where cyclists like to train, but the council here has been intelligent about this, and left a few feet off the side of the road, identical quality to the rest of the road, just marked with a white line, and yet how often do we see these cyclists on the left of this line? Grrrrrr, it's like they have mental block, follow the line.......... follow the line...... Never mind looking up to see that there is a car coming in front, and listening to the one coming from behind! and the cars have no-where to go as there are cliffs, and drop-offs, the only spare space is the lane left for the bicycles, which is generally empty
    On the rare occasion, it is even worse than this when a cyclist (usually a tourist) seemingly trying to prove a point, rides in the centre of the lane, this actually isn't legal, as the law says as close as practical to the left, and sometimes, I have had to follow at bicycle pace, while one of these arrogant @*&#*%'s leads me down the middle of the road around blind turns.
    Now I consider myself a safe, and polite driver, and no, I have never even honked, though they annoy me terribly, but I can hardly beleive these people do not realise the danger they are causing, if nothing else, then to themselves!

Arrogance it would seem, is like russian roulette......
    I know that you beleive that you understand what it is that you think that I said; But I am not sure that you realise that what you heard is not what I meant

Yeah know your problem about bike riders, I followed this one for miles.

Al

bell-less $10,000 bikes up here!
    I don't look at $10,000 bikes. :eek: I can tell you that saving 1kg of weight isn't going to make me go faster.

I've actually just bought Ms. Grunt a $750 Giant CRX 3 and me a bike for $750 which I can't remember the name but it has Shimano Tiagra running gear. Both are flat bar road bikes. Pick'em up on Wednesday.

Both bikes have bells. I want to get streamers on the handle bar ends and a basket on the front. Do you think pink suits my complexion?
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    Now, we've also done a report on bikes in bus lanes and the prioritisation of bicycle infrastructure funding, shall we discuss those?
    OK, you start, I'll be out back slashing my wrists with a broken light bulb.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    4. Not get the sh!ts when they have to move over to let you pass.
    Have you been the victim of cycle path rage? I don't have an iPod or any other device and walk with my dog a few mornings a week. It is a bit disconcerting somtimes when a bike flies past at 30 or more kph. I would appreciate it very much if people rang bells before they passed me.
    (I think most of them are people on the way to work and have to ride because they lost their licence for drink driving or speeding. Everyone drives so bloody fast around here and consequently get stressed out and off because everyone else is driving the same way and they are all cutting each other off and running up each others ####. )

And I want o hear about busway prioritisation.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbag Oz
    Never mind looking up to see that there is a car coming in front, and listening to the one coming from behind! and the cars have no-where to go as there are cliffs, and drop-offs, the only spare space is the lane left for the bicycles, which is generally empty
    On the rare occasion, it is even worse than this when a cyclist (usually a tourist) seemingly trying to prove a point, rides in the centre of the lane, this actually isn't legal, as the law says as close as practical to the left, and sometimes, I have had to follow at bicycle pace, while one of these arrogant @*&#*%'s leads me down the middle of the road around blind turns.
    As a commuting cyclist I find it very dangerous, inconsiderate and intimidating of motorists that choose to squeeze past you whilst in a roundabout, or even worse whilst entering one.
    This is not far removed from your "blind corner" situation.
    If the corner is truly blind, then you should sit behind the cyclist until it is safe to overtake. I'd rather the motorist lose 5 seconds out of their pathetic life than choose to use their car as weapon and squeeze past when the potential of an unseen on-coming car exists in a blind corner.
    What happens when this occurs? The motorist instinctively swerves to the left to make space and knocks the cyclist for six over the cliff / drop off!

It is ALWAYS far safer for the cyclist to take the lane in such situations.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    I want to get streamers on the handle bar ends and a basket on the front. Do you think pink suits my complexion?
    I've got a spare set of these wonderful orange beady things that clip onto the spokes and run up and down them making a clattering sound as you ride if you like!

On another note, this evening I almost didn't see a complete 100kg idiot on a small BMX bike, no lights, no helmet, riding on the lefthand lane marker on a motorway... but get this:

He had a iPod plugged in!!!

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!

P

:eek: :eek:

I wouldn't have thought it was such a new phenomenon. Walkmans, Discmans, MD players have been around for a long time.

The Ipods must have triggered a resurgence I guess.